Have you built your own AR?

I have built a few. Last one I built up from an 80% lower, it is fun and you can learn quite a bit about the AR platform. Most of the assembly is easy with only a few specialized tools needed. I would recommend having a good vise and AR receiver jig to firmly and safely hold the receiver while you are installing the parts.

Unless you really do some shopping on parts you are not going to save much over an assembled rifle. I built mine because I was looking for very specific parts that are hard to find in a prebuilt rifle.

How many AR's have I built? Somewhere just under a hundred I should imagine, have thirty eight of them in safes now. Assembling the rifle is relatively simple as rcoe indicated however there are areas where care nd the right tool is required. I use a Magpull BEV Block for barrel installation/removal and flash hider or brake as excessive unsuported torque on the upper can cause serious damage.

When deciding to build a rifle I sit down and list the primary use of the weapon then work from there, weight and profile and finish of barrel, carbine or mid length gas port, lenght of rail ( or if m4 configuration type of handguard) , flash supp or Brake, style of stock accessories such as single point sling hanger, light mount etc. etc. etc.

Once the parts have been identified they are ordered usually from many sources, i use Brownell's for what i can. One thing i am ver conscious of is using all quality parts, the finished product will run smooth and have a long trouble free life, right now sales on complete rifles can be done more cheaply than a similiar quality built rife.

Magazines and ammo must be taken into consideration and again ammo is available and relatively cheap, you will need a few of the former and thousands of the later.

Anyway you should have the idea, builds are fun and you know what you have if trouble decends upon you.

• 4 weeks later...

BCM is a top manufacturer/assembler, I have one of their rifles and also Daniel Defense rifles and parts even though a bit spendy either of them would be among my three (add Colt 6920) to take to a serious fight ( although I am to old to do much serious fighting).

I also trust the rifles I build as equal quality components are included when I assemble, although I have never had any difficulty with one of my rifles I do not have the test facilities available to the big boys and rely on just sending a lot of ammo down range to prove to me they work.

One of the local LE officers used a build I made for him in a AR course he was sent to and did not have a failure which could not be said of some other rifles in the group.

How many of you have bought the separate sections or individual pieces to build your AR instead of buying it as a whole assembled unit

These days, factory AR15s are so cheap that its difficult justifying "assembling your own" unless it will be a purpose build such as a short barrel rifle / NFA gun, or a long range gun... for plinking, so many new rifles are under $600 its ridiculous. As others have said, it can be fun to put it together, but the difficulty really ranks with installing an intake on your truck, especially if you spend the $50 or so on a proper punch set and wrenches. If youre like me, and have gun ADD and like to change things up often, a "custom assembled" rifle is also pretty worthless resale value wise, as no one will want anything someone else built (compare it to buying a race car someone put together in their garage), where as firearms with a manufacturer on them tend to hold value quite well. With that in mind, you can also just build your lower, and change uppers as often as you want since 99% are interchangeable.

I used to be a lot more into assembling my own AR15s, but as ive moved into larger calibers and more specific weapons, lately I just look for good deals on used AR15s if I find the need for one. If youre dead set on building one, go to some of the larger websites and sign up for their mailers so you can get coupon codes and deals. Ive seen Aim Surplus blow out Anderson lowers for $34 each, often lower parts kits for $35 more, furniture kits for cheap etc. Aero Precision is another one that always has cheap components that actually work very well. DSGArms.com, Brownells.com, Rainierarms.com and Primaryarms.com are some of the larger warehouses that stock a ton of items and have coupons often.

Fenix mike, Totally agree with one exception: Aero does not make cheap parts, they make precision parts on a scale that allows cheaper prices. I have found total satisfaction with their products and have assenmbled numerous rifles in 556, 300 BO and 6.5 Creedmore with zero defects in their products. I do not own stock in the company but between them and Brownells have invested heavily.

Fenix mike, Totally agree with one exception: Aero does not make cheap parts, they make precision parts on a scale that allows cheaper prices. I have found total satisfaction with their products and have assenmbled numerous rifles in 556, 300 BO and 6.5 Creedmore with zero defects in their products. I do not own stock in the company but between them and Brownells have invested heavily.

My apologies - by "cheap", I meant inexpensive. Aero actually makes components for about 30-40 other companies (many "higher end"), however the stuff they slap their name on is quite inexpensive and pretty decent in quality.

Mike, I knew what you ment, just trying to exert my "expert" knowledge :) into the post. Besides Aero is quartered in Washington State so gotta' support locals ( even if they are on the Left Coast and surrounded by the imported Liberals).

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think you will regret it...plus you can build at your own pace. If you can only afford a lower at the moment then you can do just that...same goes for upper, optic, etc. Optics are usually a last place builders go, but I would suggest you consider your use and desire upfront so that way you can purchase uppers with rails and set ups that compliment your desired optic.

Just my 2 cents

I've bought and built, building is way more fun but usually expensive as I kept changing mind on what parts I wanted and the parts got better and better haha...

• 3 weeks later...

If able, build your first one. That way you know the insides and outsides of it. It will keep you from asking newbie questions about this and that, as you will already know by having built one.

I just built and gave another AR to a member of Law Enforcement ( State Trooper) that makes his Department issue Bushmaster look a bit antiquated. This one used a SOCOM profile barrel by Faxon, melonitite treated, 13" rail, ALG ACT fire control group, Nickle boron BCG, Magpul ACSL stock and on and on.....it should give him good service....suggested he run. 3-500 rounds through it to insure reliability.

I have so many AR's on hand that sharing a couple with the guys who really need them has been quite satisfying. Grand kids are coming to visit this summer so have new OR Bushmaster Carbines in boxes waiting for them, made a special rifle for Son in Law and hopefully he remembers an ffl so they can be shipped to their home.

The biggest problem with AR's is left over parts, they lay there and pass on vibes that cause you to think " just a few more parts and I can have another whole rifle".

Archived