Rough shift in 2017 8 speed automatic

Someone mentioned this but I have been driving in m7 around town. It could be my imagination but it seems much better around town. It's only been a few days but so far no clunk unless it is first shift in the morning. That isn't really a clunk it is just more harsh than others. It is sad you can't get a manual transmission in crew cab pickups anymore. I would have went with a manual in a heartbeat. That 6.2 with a manual would be a blast to drive.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone said this already but I have been driving around town in m7. It could be my imagination but it seems much better although it has literally only been 2 days. I will keep driving it that way and see what happens. It is sad you can't get a manual transmission in crew cab pickups anymore. That 6.2 with a manual would be a blast to drive.

I have 7,000 miles on my 2016 6.2 8spd. It occasionally has that rough shift when cold- but not anything alarming. I may be fortunate because my tranny shifts like a dream 99.9% of the time. It is certainly much better than the third gen Tacoma TRD I traded in- that thing upshifted and downshifted like an epileptic monkey under the hood.

I have 7,000 miles on my 2016 6.2 8spd. It occasionally has that rough shift when cold- but not anything alarming. I may be fortunate because my tranny shifts like a dream 99.9% of the time. It is certainly much better than the third gen Tacoma TRD I traded in- that thing upshifted and downshifted like an epileptic monkey under the hood.

SO I have heard that with the new Tacoma's........It will not even hold Cruise without disengaging and upshifting? Unless your on the Bonneville flats while in cruise.....F'N Joke dude I work with traded in for model year 2015-2016 whatever year it is prior to the Change with Engine and Trans.......couldn't deal with it?

It was really bad. That engine / tranny combo was pretty horrible. You don't really get the full effect on a test drive.

With stock tires I was averaging 16-17mpg on the open highway, worse with any load in the bed like camping gear. Highway speeds are 80mph here, and unless you were on flat ground with no headwind- the truck never ran in 6th gear. Dealer said "Normal characteristic'. Then said "It's not designed for optimum fuel economy at those speeds"- I was like, WTF?

I put 14,000 miles on it in 5 months. The kicker for me was a long distance road trip for a funeral. With just my wife and I, and our overnight luggage we only got an average of 14mpg. In a mid size truck.

Now we have a 6.2 8spd and I get 18mpg on average, all driving conditions, and better than that on high speed highways. Isn't that some crap?

It was really bad. That engine / tranny combo was pretty horrible. You don't really get the full effect on a test drive.

With stock tires I was averaging 16-17mpg on the open highway, worse with any load in the bed like camping gear. Highway speeds are 80mph here, and unless you were on flat ground with no headwind- the truck never ran in 6th gear. Dealer said "Normal characteristic'. Then said "It's not designed for optimum fuel economy at those speeds"- I was like, WTF?

I put 14,000 miles on it in 5 months. The kicker for me was a long distance road trip for a funeral. With just my wife and I, and our overnight luggage we only got an average of 14mpg. In a mid size truck.

Now we have a 6.2 8spd and I get 18mpg on average, all driving conditions, and better than that on high speed highways. Isn't that some crap?

It is! I can't remember seeing somebody I work with trade in a brand new vehicle and buy the previous model generation of the exact same truck that he traded in originally to buy the new one? All he said was, "stay away from the adaptive transmissions F" That" I could only chuckle because dude would only buy TOYOTA and still did all the while getting maybe 18mpg's on his midsize when I get 20mpg's all day long in the full size GMC.......Yet, GM gets no PR respect?

I have a 2017 5.3 8 speed with 1100 on it now and the transmission shifts great in my opinion so far only clunk is in parking lot hardly any throttle it clunks in to second as soon as u let off.(less then 5 to 7 mph). if you feather it long enough for it to shift it seem to be fine another option is since some are running in L7 for their daily drive could down shift it to L1 to avoid that odd shift. But overall i am quite please with how it running so far.

Edited by Lance455

I have never had the shaking issues. Maybe 2017's are fixed. I've never had the harsh down shift I have heard of while coming to a stop that actually forces the truck forward. Has anyone had their 8 speed totally fail or is it just the rough shifting issues? It seems like I have read about transmission issues on almost every brand with new 6 or more speed transmissions. Although I haven't read of any issues with toyota tundras. I had a volvo xc60 t6 with a 6 speed automatic before this and it always shifed very smoothly.

• 10 months later...
On 3/4/2017 at 2:25 AM, Lance455 said:

I have a 2017 5.3 8 speed with 1100 on it now and the transmission shifts great in my opinion so far only clunk is in parking lot hardly any throttle it clunks in to second as soon as u let off.(less then 5 to 7 mph). if you feather it long enough for it to shift it seem to be fine another option is since some are running in L7 for their daily drive could down shift it to L1 to avoid that odd shift. But overall i am quite please with how it running so far.

LOL really dude. I dont think people on this board spent 60 grand to drive a truck that shifts like a farm tractor. ohh not to mention the people that spent upwards of 100 k on Escalades that also shift like crap.

I get 1-2 low speed rough shifts but that is common in 8 automatic non-DCT engines that I've driven (non-GM).  At parking lot speeds it has difficulty figuring out which gear at first...but then again mine doesnt "clunk," it will drop audibly after sitting at a higher rpm.  I suppose thats a clunk?  it doesnt sound threatening. My concern is when the auto-running boards dont deploy and i step out expecting a step and fall.  I'm almost savoring that pending lawsuit.

my guess at the problem would be incredibly low 1st and 2nd gear ratios especially on the down shifts. they keep adding gears but on the low end which isn't going to help mpgs. the 8 speed has almost identical or identical top gear ratios as the 6 speed does. my dad has a 2013 Ram with the cummins and even he has realized even with the diesel torque that the high gears aren't needed at low speeds and the programming of the transmission attempts to get into the highest gear as quick as possible. was really surprised to see him lock out gears while riding with him.

On 3/4/2017 at 1:25 AM, Lance455 said:

21k Update tranmission is running just fine and shifting is nice and crisp low speed clunk happens rarely so it not even really a thought any more.