2014 and up guys with funky electrical issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Same exact issue on my 2014 Chevy Silverado and took it in they said it could be one of 2 issues they had to do 1st one (500+$ ) if that doesn’t work another (500+$) it didn’t work 1st time and have been researching And came across a couple of posts about the G218 and now seeing this confirms its an easy fix if they would just listen !!! My truck freaks out and it can be a very dangerous situation and they need to have. Recall and know more about what they are doing and putting people through!! They need to make sure their vehicles are safe and reliable !! 

• 2 weeks later...

My 14' has all of the problematic symptoms everyone else is experiencing. Frightening experience to have when you have your wife and 1 year old in the truck. Luckily my parents were going away for the week on their vacation so I could borrow one of their cars while I had to wait to bring it into the dealership. The dealership ended up putting in a new negative battery cable, battery, power fuse block, and power cable ($800 later). Truck seems to be doing much better. Also I had my trailer brake switch unplugged because it was driving me nuts going off every 5 seconds. I ended up plugging that back in and haven't had an issue with it yet. Fingers crossed this resolves the issue. I hope GM issues a recall on this dangerous problem they are having with their vehicles. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, 

I'm going to chime in on this one as well, but my symptoms are somewhat different.  I have joined another forum at gmtruckclub forum to hopefully find and get answers.  The full information can be found here.  https://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/threads/2014-silverado-1500-double-cab-5-3l-3-42-gears-p182e-p1915-p0700.1453776/

But let me at least tell you my symptoms (which isn't near as bad as some of the other poor guys on this forum has stated).  My is simply a p182e/0700  which in essence is the Internal Mode Switch attached to the TCM and stabilitrak errors.  These are VERY sporadic and do not appear to be heat sensitive.. Happens in the morning in the cool of the hours when first starting the truck or not happen for days at at time.  The Internal Mode Switch has been replaced at least 3 times in the past year so the same shop is now looking into that little electrical gremlin.  ;).   If you read that post above, that will explain everything i have encountered.  BUT I am going to look at and even try to make the connections better on those 2 -  G218 ground post in the dash this weekend.  I will keep monitoring this thread and posting back my replies in both locations if I feel the information is helpful and relevant.  I seriously hope you guys find your gremlin and get it fixed.  I know I'm ready for mine to be fixed although mine is a lot more tolerable and not near as severe as some of you other guys.  

• 1 month later...

Grounding was my issue in my wifes 2015 Silverado.  Watch the video posted near the beginning of this post.  It's very helpful.  you can gain descent access to ground studs on both sides by 1) removing a pillar covers 10MM ratchet, 2) removingdash, front pop-in panel only (easy to pop off once a-pillar platic is removed), 3) remove the speakers and now i used an offset wrench to get the ground screws off.  (don't drop them!!)  Clean up the terminals, trim back the insulation and prob was solved.  the pics show the smoking gun.  Good Luck!

thumbnail_IMG_6529(2).jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6530(1).jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6531(2).jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So sorry for the any delay on the reply but I DID check both of those posts, the sound barrier/insulating layer was not caught up under the nut... I'm am now down to trying to find the time to take it into the shop for have chevy dealership take a look at this much, MUCH deeper.   I have only had my P182e code throw once or twice since I last posted in this thread.   Again, not near as bad as some and my issue may not even be a 'grounding' issue.  BUT, when I get the time, I'm going to take it in to the dealership for the to run down.  Next time the code throws I'm not going to clear it out, i'll just let it cycle itself out and retain in memory.  Any how, this may take me a while to get my truck in the shop.  I was told that they are 5 days behind in getting tranny work in for the work and I can't schedule this and bring it in the day it should be in, i have to take it in now and leave it for the XX numbers of day before they get to it which I think is a STUPID STUPID procedure/process (COUGH ...COUGH STONEBRIAR COUGH COUGH!!!!)...    Anyhow. as soon as I get it figured out I'll reply back with my issue and the fix guys.. Sorry for massive delay on this but this is going to take some time to get my truck in after it happens again and find the time to get the time to leave it there for them to troubleshoot.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2017 at 11:19 PM, JRD III said:

Oh, man. My 2014 Sierra has been doing this for two years seemingly at random. Had no idea what was causing it or where to begin looking. Dealer could not duplicate it, and concluded it was a bad battery connection. Cleaning the battery posts seemed to fix it for six months or so, but then it started again late spring (when the weather in Atlanta started getting hot), and when I cleaned the battery this time it didn't fix it. This has been driving me crazy! And yes, I fear for my safety after almost hitting the brick wall in my office parking lot. Thank god for me it only seems to happen at crawl speeds, usually when I'm turning into a parking spot, but the danger is real. When I asked the service rep if he had ever heard of this happening on other trucks he said no, but he had a funny look on his face when he said it. So, before I found this thread, I was looking at the Recalls on the GM web site (if you log in with your VIN it shows you all the recalls for your vehicle) and I saw the June 2017 recall #17276 Loss of Steering Assist. I assume this is the same issue? I don't know, but this week I took it in and had them do the recall. Incidentally, I never got any kind of notice for the recall. I found it myself on the web site. The invoice says: "reprogrammed the power steering control module labor op 9102922". I hope that fixes it, but if it doesn't then I will take up the dash and clear the ground as explained in this thread. I may do that anyway. Thank you so much for posting this information. I can't believe it took them so long to do a recall, and I'm still not sure if the recall is for the same issue since it doesn't seem like they did anything to the ground. If anyone has any additional information please share.

That recall is something different. It pertains to the steering being difficult at low speeds. This ground issue is another all together. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys. First of all, thank you for your time to post here. It has been a lot of help in order to get information in our GMC and Chevy vehicles.

I had the same issue with my 2014 GMC Sierra, all terrain edition.

I took the truck 5 times to the dealer between 2018 and 2019 and the couldn't replicate the problem.

I put a second set of ground wiring from the negative cable at the battery.

Still had the same failure.

I finally did open the top part of the dash and located the ground wiring.

Now, what I did with the help of my mechanic is: I moved the ground cable to a another screw in the pillar on the driver's side. We checked first that it had good ground.

That way I didn't have to cut or alter any of the isolation material.

I will give a try for a few weeks/months and I will comment again here.

To be honest, last week I was about to go to the Dodge dealership and trade my GMC for a new RAM because I had to wait for more than 10 minutes at a job site to be able to start my truck again .

Thanks for reading lol

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I thought I fixed the g218 ground issue in mid August of '19. It seemed to be better for quite a while, until this (https://photos.app.goo.gl/6gVfz6L9sueE55jc6). I am also getting voltage spikes of 16+ volts and then drops below 12 volts. I didn't do anything but shut the truck off and haven't had a problem until this morning. I was backing out of a parking space and the wheel jerked out of my hand again. This time almost taking my thumb nail with it. I have almost had it with the truck. I really like everything else about it. It is too dangerous to transport my children or pull my travel trailer. Anyone have any other ideas?

Edited by Chad Leslie