2014 and up guys with funky electrical issues.

Ok let me introduce myself. My name is Tony Lester. So I have a 2014 silverado that I experienced a TON of funky electrical issues a few months ago. Had my head lights flickering, had stabilitrak errors, power steering errors, and the worst of all, the steering wheel jerking out of my hands.

So after some looking around on youtube I found some videos from a guy named Robert Corona. So he had the exact same issues as my truck did. First thing his dealer did was replaced his BCM. So I did the same (mine was out of pocket because his was under warranty). My issue nor his went away.

So next, he posted another video and a copy of his invoice from where they looked into his issue. They found that ground point named G218 had a "high resistance", but never went into detail on what this was. So after watching his videos My truck finally did the steering wheel jerk thing and I was fed up.

Immediately, I started literally taking apart my dash, because I knew a ground had to be somewhere but I wasnt sure. All I had was a web page after hours of searching I had one crappy photo

.57671-cd9bbafff185563d79cf9e9c262f3e74.j
as you can see It shows absolutely zero clues of where it actually is located.

So the next day after more looking around and visiting my dealer I find out that it is on top of the dash, driver side, behind the speaker. So I go home and start putting my truck back together where I tore into it and went for the correct location. I then find this...
57672-dcf6ce86123cac5824778e192eb6cbad.j
Yep that would cause a "high resistance" alright. So I removed the nut and the ground then I trimmed the sound deadening material and put it back together. So far its been 8 months since I have did this and the truck is running like a champ. ZERO issues. Here is what I did to the material, as you can see I trimmed quite a bit...
57673-b3655ee195a16c9a2b3f74515d137b73.j
Also I decided to look on the other side of the dash to the ground G210 and cut it as well, It is NOT necessary to do this but I did anyway.
57674-96a46fd4270ba1333fa312af3b798089.j
Now on this next pic you can see the ground diagram for the G218 ground. This ground goes to several important and some not important components. It goes to the BCM, and steering angle sensor. That is why the wheel jerks like it does. When the BCM gets a "high resistance" on that ground it gets a voltage drop. When the BCM doesnt get full 12 volts it starts to heat up. When it heats up is when all these issues come up. Below are the ground diagrams.
57675-ca5eb3b4001143c9fb324ae450043176.j

Here is where I got all the electrical schematics at.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...xNY1rf0QotqQIQehF103xA&bvm=bv.148747831,d.amc

Here is Where I first found out where the ground is etc. and other possible causes
http://gm.oemdtc.com/3194/reduced-p...various-dtcs-2014-2016-cadillac-chevrolet-gmc

And finally. Here is my How-to video on youtube. Please like it if you want. If you have any questions what so ever, feel free to message me on here, email me at <script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript">/* */</script> or find me on facebook and message me there as well, link to facebook profile is below video link.

How-To video

Facebook link.
https://www.facebook.com/slocav

Hope this helps you out with your trucks. again thanks for your attention and feel free to contact me in any way necessary. Edited by sloz71
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I took my 14 silverado to the dealer 3 times for the same issue that this would have fixed. 1st they replaced my BCM then the battery cables then last the ground to the starter.

I got fed up and traded it for my new sierra.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

What is the BCM? My truck literally just did this about a week ago...on start up, lights flickering, stabilitrack, power steering issue, bells and chimes going off. Had it towed to dealer, and service guy calls and says piece of cake...the codes pointed right to some 'chassis module"...service guy even joked "next time bring me something tricky to replace"....I read these post and get nervous

• Like 1

Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!!

There are several posts on this in the Recalls and Issues forum. Please spread the word over there as well. Ridiculous that this is such a small issue and so many systems are crippled by it, most due to CANBUS...... or more like CANBUSTED.

• Like 1

You're welcome on the post. Believe me I was pissed when my truck did this. I love the truck to much to get rid of it and I love electronics and troubleshooting things. So glad my video and posts are helpful.

• Thanks 2

I took my 14 silverado to the dealer 3 times for the same issue that this would have fixed. 1st they replaced my BCM then the battery cables then last the ground to the starter.

The Sierra trucks are doing it as well

Did it seem fixed after they replaced the BCM? I just got my truck back last week after having the BCM replaced....so far so good....just wasn't sure if I should go ahead and tear into mine to check the ground?

Did it seem fixed after they replaced the BCM? I just got my truck back last week after having the BCM replaced....so far so good....just wasn't sure if I should go ahead and tear into mine to check the ground?

It seems for a but but it came back after a week.... After the BCM is when i started to have the sterring wheel lock up on me.... It did the same at an intersection locked straight and was headed toward a C7 Z06.

Watch towards to the end.

• Like 1

It seems for a but but it came back after a week.... After the BCM is when i started to have the sterring wheel lock up on me.... It did the same at an intersection locked straight and was headed toward a C7 Z06.

Watch towards to the end.

The wife would love something like that to happen with my 8 month old in the back.....did you ever look to see if the ground had an issue before you sold it? Just wondering if I should go ahead and tear into it.....

The wife would love something like that to happen with my 8 month old in the back.....did you ever look to see if the ground had an issue before you sold it? Just wondering if I should go ahead and tear into it.....

I didn't because i didn't feel comfortable doing the work.

And honestly i wanted a new sierra so it was an easy way to get what i wanted lol

My sons 15 suburban did the same thing. After 3 trips of can't duplicate my daughter in law produced a Video I couldn't believe it. The worst part you can't control the steering. They need to go back to fluid steering eliminate electric power steering so you have a fighting chance. The claimed they found a loose wire. They live in fear of driving that suburban and are 18K upside down. So he drives it and she hauls their 3 kids all under 8 in his mid size car. You wanna bet they or our family buys another GM product?