2014 and up guys with funky electrical issues.

Instead of tearing apart your dash, wouldn't it be easier to just run an additional ground from the BCM to another part of the dash?

Possibly. But really. Getting to that ground is stupid easy.

Any idea if I take my truck in to the dealer since I'm still under warranty and ask them about it?

You can. But I bet they tell you problem cannot be duplicated.

• Like 2

The reason the dealer cant fix most things is because they dont know how to troubleshoot. They plug your vehicle in to the computer and if it cant tell them whats wrong they have no idea what to do. Specially if its not thorwing codes. That is the main fault of these newer machanics these days.

• Like 2

The reason the dealer cant fix most things is because they dont know how to troubleshoot. They plug your vehicle in to the computer and if it cant tell them whats wrong they have no idea what to do. Specially if its not thorwing codes. That is the main fault of these newer machanics these days.

This is true. And they hate when you troubleshoot for them.

The problem with this issue is at least on my truck was it never a daily occurrence. It usually did its thing in the summer and after the BCM got hot. Usually 30 or so minutes into a trip. Some days it didn't. So they'll say they could not duplicate it.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I cut the insulation out from under that ground. It seemed better immediately, but it almost ran me into a curb this morning and the engine actually shut off.

Im thinking about adding a new ground from that stud to the battery.

Mine did it really bad on my 14....dealer couldn't help....replaced the battery and the cables nothing worked...traded it in and they are so stupid that they paid more than I did for it. Front of house didn't even check for service records at their own shop. They couldn't get it to work properly and sold it at auction for a loss.....GM is a bunch of cheap assholes for not doing a recall on this. Someone will get killed but they'll blame it on something else.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2017 at 10:05 PM, caskey_b said:

wouldnt mind checking mine as well... is there a "how to" on pulling the dash apart to check?

Posted in other threads here that talk about it (there are 4 or 5 already) but here is the short info:

1)  Remove A-pillar trim (if there is no grab handle it just pops off; the ones with grab handles just remove 2 bolts)

2)  Remove front of dash near windshield (it also just pops off)

3)  Not needed but I unhooked the ambient light sensor and removed the tweeter to get better access to the ground studs

4)  Remove ground nut, remove paint and clean under it, and reinstall tightly while making sure no insulation is stuck under it

5)  Replace everything

That's it.  I did both sides and the whole process took about 20 minutes.  I haven't had an electrical issue since ...

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 12:09 AM, LS 1st Gen said:

Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!!

There are several posts on this in the Recalls and Issues forum. Please spread the word over there as well. Ridiculous that this is such a small issue and so many systems are crippled by it, most due to CANBUS...... or more like CANBUSTED.

You wouldn't have a link to those post would ya? I can't find it.

Oh, man. My 2014 Sierra has been doing this for two years seemingly at random. Had no idea what was causing it or where to begin looking. Dealer could not duplicate it, and concluded it was a bad battery connection. Cleaning the battery posts seemed to fix it for six months or so, but then it started again late spring (when the weather in Atlanta started getting hot), and when I cleaned the battery this time it didn't fix it. This has been driving me crazy! And yes, I fear for my safety after almost hitting the brick wall in my office parking lot. Thank god for me it only seems to happen at crawl speeds, usually when I'm turning into a parking spot, but the danger is real. When I asked the service rep if he had ever heard of this happening on other trucks he said no, but he had a funny look on his face when he said it. So, before I found this thread, I was looking at the Recalls on the GM web site (if you log in with your VIN it shows you all the recalls for your vehicle) and I saw the June 2017 recall #17276 Loss of Steering Assist. I assume this is the same issue? I don't know, but this week I took it in and had them do the recall. Incidentally, I never got any kind of notice for the recall. I found it myself on the web site. The invoice says: "reprogrammed the power steering control module labor op 9102922". I hope that fixes it, but if it doesn't then I will take up the dash and clear the ground as explained in this thread. I may do that anyway. Thank you so much for posting this information. I can't believe it took them so long to do a recall, and I'm still not sure if the recall is for the same issue since it doesn't seem like they did anything to the ground. If anyone has any additional information please share.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello, new around these parts... saw this thread while doing google search for a fix (for my truck....):D.

I drive 2015 1500 Silverado Z71, bought it with 87,000 miles and obviously out of warranty. Fell in love with the truck first time I saw it, traded in my almost flawless 05 Silverado (should have kept her)for it.....It has become a love/hate relationship now :sigh: due to issues I’m having.

Here’s the list of issues I’m experiencing....

Remote start stopped working, remotes fine, no check engine light or hood open light(did some research,lol)  I try to start with remote the lights only  flash once and then it does nothing.

One morning at about 3 AM my alarm started going off on its own,  went out checked to make sure everything was OK and there were no issues so I rearmed it and again after a half hour it went off for no reason. Decided to try the remote start while it was having this problem and guess what it worked! Tried it again and hour later and it would not work again and the alarm never went off again on its own.

Service Stabiltrack message came on once, with the light, but went away within a couple starting cycles. No wheel jerks yet.

Service trailer brake system message once as well, right after unhooking trailer, same thing, gone after couple starting cycles.

Rear signal out message, blinking fast as if bulb out...again, after a couple starting cycles it was back to normal and bulb is fine?

Again, no check engine light on at all? Obviously have some gremlins to exterminate, could this ground issue be at fault? Any other possible culprits? Going to tear into the dash tomorrow and see if the ground is bad, hopefully that’s the only issue, I really do love this truck  would hate to have to get rid of it!