Wifi Hotspot on while Truck is off?

On 1/26/2019 at 8:07 AM, Rick Caldwell said:

Speaking of the built in WiFi, does anyone have a problem with the infotainment system disconnecting from the WiFi and never reconnecting until the truck is turned off and everything is reset? I drive a 2017 Duramax and this happens on every trip multiple times. I listen to Pandora most of the time, so I lose it when this happens. 

There is a software update for the infotainment.   Mine would gr et y out. The update fixes this. 

• 5 months later...

truck.jpg.86edd0e265c15c089179d39a5ebd6a58.jpgI bought a trailer connector and put in a Red 10 ga. wire to the 12 volt terminal. I put a 10 ga Black wire to the Ground. I have approximately 12" of wire coming out of the connector and stripped off an inch or so at the end and curled it, making it easy to connect the Red and Black leads to the wires from my Harbor Freight battery charger. I use this setup everyday. I park in my driveway, not in the garage due to getting a weak signal. Be sure to turn the automatic headlight switch to off. I pull the plug when I leave and hook it up when I am home. No need to unhook this charger at night, it has an automatic shut off. No more popping the hood and slamming it shut to hook up a charger. I also added a wifi extender to cover my whole house.

Edited by Stoney Field Farms
Additional information

• 1 month later...

I have a 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Highcountry.  They have added a "timeout" to the system that turns ACC to OFF after about 10 minutes disabling the WiFi.  I have tried a few things to possibly circumvent the timeout function including exiting from passenger door, leaving the wireless key fob in the vehicle, leaving it unlocked, etc.  No luck.  I really wish I could find a harness that I can add in that keeps constant power to the wifi module.  Wifi module has to be pretty low power and I have duel batteries in the truck.  Also, would be nice to hack into the infotainment software itself as it is an open source Android platform...  Anyways, if anyone comes up with anything PLEASE POST!  I will do the same.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/5/2019 at 5:05 PM, Andrew L said:

I have a 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Highcountry.  They have added a "timeout" to the system that turns ACC to OFF after about 10 minutes disabling the WiFi.  I have tried a few things to possibly circumvent the timeout function including exiting from passenger door, leaving the wireless key fob in the vehicle, leaving it unlocked, etc.  No luck.  I really wish I could find a harness that I can add in that keeps constant power to the wifi module.  Wifi module has to be pretty low power and I have duel batteries in the truck.  Also, would be nice to hack into the infotainment software itself as it is an open source Android platform...  Anyways, if anyone comes up with anything PLEASE POST!  I will do the same.  

With the key in the ignition and turned to acc, the truck turns off?  You need the key in the ignition for the acc to stay on.  I use a replacement key that was cut but not programmed. Turns the acc and ignition on, but won’t crank the truck over.

2017 silverado

i made an extension cable for this, works well. But if you have a WFCO converter in your camper be aware that after being connected to shore power for 40 hours the converter goes into float mode 13 volts, and this is not enough to charge your truck battery. If we go for a week I just flip the breaker off and then on in the camper converter and all is well in the world

4FE224CD-8C4D-4C38-827C-BB971484A578.jpeg

37 minutes ago, ryan_the_geek said:

With the key in the ignition and turned to acc, the truck turns off?  You need the key in the ignition for the acc to stay on.  I use a replacement key that was cut but not programmed. Turns the acc and ignition on, but won’t crank the truck over.

2017 silverado

i made an extension cable for this, works well. But if you have a WFCO converter in your camper be aware that after being connected to shore power for 40 hours the converter goes into float mode 13 volts, and this is not enough to charge your truck battery. If we go for a week I just flip the breaker off and then on in the camper converter and all is well in the world

4FE224CD-8C4D-4C38-827C-BB971484A578.jpeg

Deleted 

Edited by OHDenali

• 2 months later...

I would like to know what the battery drain is. 2017 Silverado when accessory is on?

Got caught with battery charger/ maintainer quitting when battery is fully charged and does not restart. It’s what they do. I bought a 5amp maintainer. Wasn’t enough. So tried a 7.5 amp one with all the bells and whistles. Battery went from 100% to <75% in a few hours. Back on the charger. Just need to remember to unplug it periodically. I think more than 5 amps is excessive. 
I noticed after snowfall the other night 2” the area around the rear view mirror was clear of snow indicating a lot of heat. Ideas anyone. 

On 7/31/2019 at 4:49 AM, Stoney Field Farms said:

truck.jpg.86edd0e265c15c089179d39a5ebd6a58.jpgI bought a trailer connector and put in a Red 10 ga. wire to the 12 volt terminal. I put a 10 ga Black wire to the Ground. I have approximately 12" of wire coming out of the connector and stripped off an inch or so at the end and curled it, making it easy to connect the Red and Black leads to the wires from my Harbor Freight battery charger. I use this setup everyday. I park in my driveway, not in the garage due to getting a weak signal. Be sure to turn the automatic headlight switch to off. I pull the plug when I leave and hook it up when I am home. No need to unhook this charger at night, it has an automatic shut off. No more popping the hood and slamming it shut to hook up a charger. I also added a wifi extender to cover my whole house.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Chet said:

And then you leave the accessory mode on? I assume?

Yes. Regular key. Screen turned off. Dimmer turned all the way down.  Constant drain about 5 amps. I can maintain battery @ 12.6 volts. 
Chevy Duramax. High Country. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...