Wifi Hotspot on while Truck is off?

On 1/21/2020 at 2:05 PM, Chet said:

For those of us with push start, how do we keep the truck accessory mode on? It times out. We have no key to leave in the ignition. Anyone have success doing this with push button start?

read your owners manual!, it explains how to put the vehicle in accessory mode so it does not time out after 10 minutes

• 2 months later...
On 8/19/2020 at 8:22 PM, doubeleive said:

read your owners manual!, it explains how to put the vehicle in accessory mode so it does not time out after 10 minutes

To keep the Accessory in ON position for keyless vehicles, put the vehicle in service mode.  This may be the solution.  It's described in the owner's manual:

"Service Mode

This power mode is available for service and diagnostics, and to verify the proper operation of the malfunction indicator lamp as may be required for emission inspection purposes.  With the vehicle off, and the brake pedal not applied, pressing and holding the ENGINE START/STOP button for more than five seconds will place the vehicle in Service Mode. The  instruments and audio systems will operate as they do when the ignition is on, but the vehicle will not be able to be driven. The engine will not start in Service Mode. Press the ENGINE  START/STOP button again to turn the ignition off."

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/2/2020 at 11:01 AM, gmatx said:

To keep the Accessory in ON position for keyless vehicles, put the vehicle in service mode.  This may be the solution.  It's described in the owner's manual:

"Service Mode

This power mode is available for service and diagnostics, and to verify the proper operation of the malfunction indicator lamp as may be required for emission inspection purposes.  With the vehicle off, and the brake pedal not applied, pressing and holding the ENGINE START/STOP button for more than five seconds will place the vehicle in Service Mode. The  instruments and audio systems will operate as they do when the ignition is on, but the vehicle will not be able to be driven. The engine will not start in Service Mode. Press the ENGINE  START/STOP button again to turn the ignition off."

2020 Silverado with push button start - I was able to open the doors exit and lock the doors and it stayed on.  It did NOT time out and shut off after 20 minutes..  On to step 2 - rigging a charger will enough amperage to keep the battery up.  Anyone know what the amp draw is in accessory or Service Mode?  Does anyone know if the trailer maintainer in a trailer will keep the truck charged on a 2020?

Edited by Dave's Place

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting thread here. Lots of good info. I’ll be boondocking in Montana where there’s no shore power or cell service so I don’t have the same goal as OP but it is good to know more about how our trucks work and can work with our campers.

Sent from the demons in my head

• 5 months later...

I too would love to know how as well. I have a 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I can use my wifi hotspot but the problem is the car has to be turned on. It works with Acc but the car automatically cuts off after about 20 minutes so I have to go out to my car and re-hit the button (push to start) again. It works great as far as service and distance but having to ruling out to the car every 20 minutes is annoying. To keep the battery charge I keep it plugged up to my camper which runs off solar. I need to know how to keep the car active without having to do this. Is there a way or a app that can help?  

• 7 months later...

So I guess I'm getting old, but when I was young we were told to never leave the car in ACC for too long as it could "burn up the ignition". Now I doubt that's still the case today, but are there any other side effects to leaving the vehicle in ACC mode? On my '20 Sierra 2500 Diesel I can hear a rather loud noise like a pump or something running in the back, and on our '19 Escalade every light in the world is on, so that's gotta be some serious battery draw and wear on the lights. Or am I wrong here? 

• 2 weeks later...

I use my 2019 tahoe hot spot to live feed our church services. The phone signal is too weak but the vehicle hot spot works great. I just park my Tahoe close enough to my iPhone so I can connect to Facebook live feed inside the church. The only problem is in acc mode my battery runs down too quickly. I do have a/c power outside. Is there an onboard charger that would work to keep my battery charged?  Or anything else I can do to keep my battery charged.