PIckuptrucks test Gas HD. 6.0 no I'm old tested

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hear ya, if my 92 needs work in July-September it's stays broke till it gets under 100 degrees in October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are smarter than I am. I bought a frickin' full body rainsuit so I could lay underneath my truck in the snow.

Is a few HP more going to make a night/day difference? In reality? They are so close, saying this one has more rated HP than that one and because of that is going to pull an on ramp so much better is wishful thinking.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

There is a lot more to capability than brochure published TQ and HP numbers. The entire drivetrain has to be taken into account. Sure the 6.0 is not all dolled up like the newer engines, but then, it doesn't have the failure rate of the newer stuff either. And I, as well as all the Farmer's Cooperative and fleet folks around me, have not come across a situation where the 6.0 couldn't do the job just fine. But then, we don't do 5th wheel travel trailers cross country. Just hauling, dump trailers, equipment trailers, fuel wagons, snow plowing, etc. Some trailers easily 12K lb on up. Double tank trailers of anhydrous ammonia fertilizer easily can exceed the 13K towing limit of the 2500 6.0L, yet they get used quite frequently in that role and the 2500 6.0 just takes it in stride. Of course, those setups are not trying to win a land speed race going down the road or do the Ike Gaunlet hill climb. And I don't use the traffic lights in town as my own NHRA starting light setup and race from light to light, so the idea that the 6.0L isn't quick enough argument, I have never noticed a problem.

The 30-30, 30-06, 45-70 and similar old school cartridges may long in the tooth compared to the newer stuff, but they have taken more game in N. America than all the other hotter stuff. Some things just plain work and work well. The 6.0L falls into this same camp.

I can attest to the 6.0 being able to so the job. I worked at a large landscape company and all of their fleet pickups were gassers. The grass crew would beat the living hell out of those engines, and then they would get abused all winter plowing. In the 3 years I worked their I never saw any of the 6 trucks have significant drivetrain issues. When I left that company they were all 9+ years old.

This same company only bought dumps with big block gas engines too. These held up as well. Only time I needed more power was crawling up a steep hill with the dump bed FULL (overloaded) of wet topsoil and a 30 ft landscape trailer with a bobcat and attachments hooked up. If I was hauling what it was rated for I wouldn't have had an issue.

The diesel is definitely a want and not a need unless you're basically running a hauling business. That being said, I've went to diesel and won't think I'll ever turn back.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I dont think that the 6.0l will get this amount from a canned tune? Maybe 20hp/Tq at the best im thinking on a canned tune from Diablo maybe? Custom tune for 94 premium or E85 maybe. But 40ftlbs is alot to gain with just a tune??

Let us know where this info is coming from.? That would put our Old school 6.0 right at 400hp and 420ftlbs. Thats almost better than the other 2 with new engines?

Id love it though!!

I was thinking the same thing! Getting close to 400hp and over 400tq on 87 octane would be sweet!

Wouldn't that depend on how detuned the 6.0l is in its current form? I can't imagine they have squeezed every ounce of HP out yet (room to grow).

I think GM purposely limits the power to protect the drivetrain (promote longevity) in the 2500/3500 series. They are not the first to do this either. If you consider the market, the gasser 2500/3500 isn't exactly targeting the hotrodders, it's targeting contractors that don't care if they pull a house down or can pass the guy on the hill pulling at max weight...that market is looking for a truck that gets their equipment from A to B with minimal breakdowns. I'll bet most buy based on experience or rebates, and don't even care what the window sticker touts for HP.

I think you're right. They're probably de-tuned so much that they're basically idiot proof. Companies/fleets can run the crap out of these trucks every day...even while towing & hauling...and they just keep coming back for more. In stock form, you can't hardly hurt them.

We have four or five of them in our "fleet", and they rarely have issues...mainly brakes (Boston area) and small fluid leaks.

The biggest complaint I hear is that they ride too rough, they get used off pavement quite a bit. Not slogging through mud or real offroading, just off highway to get to a site.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

even if it is old compared to the ford 6.2 or the bigger hemi..it still out outperforms them or atleast keeps up with them with fewer issues. Theres alot of things in the world that are older or considered out of date that still outperform newer tech..hell look military hardware, the ak47 is still considered one of the most rugged weapons created and its older then dirt now.

even if it is old compared to the ford 6.2 or the bigger hemi..it still out outperforms them or atleast keeps up with them with fewer issues. Theres alot of things in the world that are older or considered out of date that still outperform newer tech..hell look military hardware, the ak47 is still considered one of the most rugged weapons created and its older then dirt now.

This is true, but I grew up hating commies so I'm going to use the A-10, the C-130, and my favorite, the "ma deuce" as examples of rugged military gear!

• 3 weeks later...

In my older age I lean more towards comfort, HP ratings is a very close second. I don't want to get run over merging on the freeway, no matter what I'm driving.

Is it a common problem of folks getting run over merging on the freeway? I drive about 130,000 miles a year and have never seen it. And you are worried about a Prius running over your pickup? Many times I can't get my fully loaded semi truck over 40-45 mph before reaching the end of an on ramp and time to merge. I have yet to have anyone do a full gainer into the back of my truck in over 3 decades of commercial driving. I hardly ever drive over 65 mph, anywhere, whether in my Caddy CTS, my 2500, or my semi. And I still have not been "run over" by anyone.

Is it a common problem of folks getting run over merging on the freeway? I drive about 130,000 miles a year and have never seen it. And you are worried about a Prius running over your pickup? Many times I can't get my fully loaded semi truck over 40-45 mph before reaching the end of an on ramp and time to merge. I have yet to have anyone do a full gainer into the back of my truck in over 3 decades of commercial driving. I hardly ever drive over 65 mph, anywhere, whether in my Caddy CTS, my 2500, or my semi. And I still have not been "run over" by anyone.

I my 40 years of driving of everything from semis hauling equipment to sport cars I haven't had an accident. I do this by elimination odds of driving incidents. As you know driving semis, cooperation a little luck and anticipation goes a long way to safe driving. In everything else I go aggressive in merging especially on some of those very short on ramps. Down in the south as we chatted about before speeds are 70 MPH and up. We don't have much choice in 0-60 in semis, in just about every thing else we do. Also as we discussed before 65 in the north and north east is cool, in the south good luck. I'm fortunate to have grown up in NJ and moved later to Texas. Definitely different driving speeds and styles between the two. I'll take the south, they wave with all fingers up, maybe because they can safely drive faster than 65.[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I realize that folks in the "south" do like to "put a wiggle in it" so to speak and really move, I have also driven a lot of the south from FL to AZ and I have never had a problem driving 65 mph anywhere. I have found there is always someone who is driving slower than me also. And no matter how fast I were to drive, there is always someone going faster that thinks they are on a mission from God. 65 seems to be the optimum for me whether it is driving in Iowa, Montana, Ohio, Georgia, or Texas for that matter. What one "feels" they need to do is different from what they actually have to do. I do not suffer from an enlarged paranoia gland that makes me fear everyone else who is putting their foot in the firewall and driving fast. Never felt a need to follow the crowd. I stay to the right as often as possible and just enjoy the drive. I let everyone else stress themselves, run in packs, and fight with each other passing. As far as on ramps, I am looking at the traffic pattern I will be merging with LONG before I ever get to the end of the ramp and pace myself accordingly. Many times, I can get a feel for the traffic at the beginning of the on ramp and gauge things. Only those that seem to be checking out the ozone hole in the atmosphere while on the on ramp and then only realize they will need to merge at the very end seem to have any problem and screw things up for everyone else. And of course, I signal the merge long before getting to the end. I might "put a wiggle in it" to make the actual merge, but then set my cruise at 65 and drive. Very rare for me to even WOT on a ramp to make the merge in my pickup. The 6.0 does just fine in my 2500. And I don't care what you have for a pickup, if you have 12,000 lb of trailer hooked up and loaded, you are not going to be doing 70 mph at the end of the ramp. 6.0 or Dmax. Except for a l-o-n-g down grade variety.

And most accidents are not caused by slower traffic, but by morons who are not paying attention to what they are doing. Over 6 million miles for me (a fair portion of that in the south) and the only accident was one of the leading drug dealers in KC trying to do things faster than everyone else and he slammed into a pickup/5th RV setup and then over into the front of my semi. The latter messed him up. He went to the hospital in critical condition and the state troopers at the scene treated me like one of their own. I still hauled two more loads and then took the semi home for cosmetic repairs to the front.

beleive it or not, the last few years driving from Texas to Mrytle Beach 4 times a year or so I go 70 MPH and get passed constantly. It's definitely better getting passed than passing, more relaxing.

While I realize that folks in the "south" do like to "put a wiggle in it" so to speak and really move, I have also driven a lot of the south from FL to AZ and I have never had a problem driving 65 mph anywhere. I have found there is always someone who is driving slower than me also. And no matter how fast I drive, there is always someone going faster that thinks they are on a mission from God. 65 seems to be the optimum for me whether it is driving in Iowa, Montana, Ohio, Georgia, or Texas for that matter. What one "feels" they need to do is different from what they actually have to do. I do not suffer from an enlarged paranoia gland that makes me fear everyone else who is putting their foot in the firewall and driving fast. Never felt a need to follow the crowd. I stay to the right as often as possible and just enjoy the drive. I let everyone else stress themselves, run in packs, and fight with each other passing. As far as on ramps, I am looking at the traffic pattern I will be merging with LONG before I ever get to the end of the ramp and pace myself accordingly. Many times, I can get a feel for the traffic at the beginning of the on ramp and gauge things. Only those that seem to be checking out the ozone hole in the atmosphere while on the on ramp and then only realize they will need to merge at the very end seem to have any problem and screw things up for everyone else. I might "put a wiggle in it" to make the actual merge, but then set my cruise at 65 and drive.

And most accidents are not caused by slower traffic, but by morons who are not paying attention to what they are doing. Over 6 million miles for me (a fair portion of that in the south) and the only accident was one of the leading drug dealers in KC trying to do things faster than everyone else and he slammed into a pickup/5th RV setup and then over into the front of my semi. He went to the hospital in critical condition and the state troopers at the scene treated me like one of their own.

I don't see any 6.0 truck having problems merging or passing as long as you aren't pulling a heavy trailer. If you are, yeah, that's an issue, and I would not be surprised if the Ford 6.2 is noticeably better when loaded heavily.

The Ram, well, Fiat makes crap and frankly I don't think you really ever know what is going to happen if you push the gas to the floor in a Ram. It might take off really fast, it might overheat, it might drive itself to the dealership for repairs on your dime. I don't mind driving Chitty-Chitty Bang Bang when they are 50 years old, but when I spend my money on a new truck I expect trouble-free performance for the first few years I own it. Fiat doesn't know how to do that, but they will sell you some nice shades of purple and lime green if that is your thing.

Me, I'm just a cheap white-collar wannabe cowboy that wanted a 3/4 ton so I could look tough. I didn't need a diesel but I do feel like a total pimp rocking my white crew cab work truck with the chrome side steps. It is all I can do to beat the ladies off with a stick, they come running up to my truck all jiggly and saying "is that a VORTEC engine under that hood, cowboy? can i see, can I see, CAN I SEE???!!!!!"

Ok, maybe not. Whatever.

Archived