PIckuptrucks test Gas HD. 6.0 no I'm old tested

I don't see any 6.0 truck having problems merging or passing as long as you aren't pulling a heavy trailer. If you are, yeah, that's an issue, and I would not be surprised if the Ford 6.2 is noticeably better when loaded heavily.

The Ram, well, Fiat makes crap and frankly I don't think you really ever know what is going to happen if you push the gas to the floor in a Ram. It might take off really fast, it might overheat, it might drive itself to the dealership for repairs on your dime. I don't mind driving Chitty-Chitty Bang Bang when they are 50 years old, but when I spend my money on a new truck I expect trouble-free performance for the first few years I own it. Fiat doesn't know how to do that, but they will sell you some nice shades of purple and lime green if that is your thing.

Me, I'm just a cheap white-collar wannabe cowboy that wanted a 3/4 ton so I could look tough. I didn't need a diesel but I do feel like a total pimp rocking my white crew cab work truck with the chrome side steps. It is all I can do to beat the ladies off with a stick, they come running up to my truck all jiggly and saying "is that a VORTEC engine under that hood, cowboy? can i see, can I see, CAN I SEE???!!!!!"

Ok, maybe not. Whatever.

The thing some people forget..the hemi and ford 6.2 might have higher numbers, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say they weigh more+plus increased drag(solid axles) thus devouring some of those "higher" numbers. My bro's new cummins is like a piano going down the road unloaded, just gobbling fuel(no emissions on it either) not a gas engine I know, but just an example of my above statement. If a loaded truck can't get out of its own way, its either overloaded or the owner needed to get the check book out and go to a diesel.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Discussions like that make me always wonder how I survived merging onto the Autobahn with a four banger, 40hp VW Polo, 0-60 in about 2 min.

That's too funny. :crackup:

so long

j-ten-ner

In Canada it's not the vehicle that causes merging issues, it's the poor driving skills of the drivers. The freeway ramp I used near my former home on a regular basis was a very sharp turn to the right posted about 30 mph. People would slow down, take the corner & then fail to speed up to merge into the driving lane. As a result they'd have to stop on the shoulder when the 'acceleration lane' ended when they couldn't merge into the passing traffic.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/handbook/section2.9.1.shtml

The MTO diagram hasn't changed much since I took my driving test back in the late 70s.

I stay to the right as often as possible and just enjoy the drive. I let everyone else stress themselves, run in packs, and fight with each other passing.

:thumbs:

Then you have the clowns that sit out in the passing lane for miles when there is no traffic in the driving lanes. So much for lane discipline. An aside to the ramp I described earlier. I never had a problem merging w/ my trucks for the most part. Mind you certain times of the day when traffic was heavy (slower vehicles couldn't move over to the left) made for tricky merging.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope and pray GM keeps the old, outdated, underpowered, horrible mileage L96 6.0 around for a long LONG time!

Great motor!!!

Yes but 'new technology' sells nowadays.

I'd just like to see a larger displacement version of the 6.0l...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Never happen, it will be some new ecotech DI VVT motor that will have carbon buildup and need the heads removed and walnut cleaned every 100,000 miles...

No thanks

Yes but 'new technology' sells nowadays.

That's an interesting point. In my opinion, GM will have to entirely cancel the old 6.0. If they used the strategy of introducing the replacement as an "upgrade" for a few years, and then phasing out the 6.0, what would be the take rate on the replacement? 5-10%?

Off topic, but with all the eco-mindedness going around, I'm amazed the govt still hasn't figured out how to save fuel. Dumping millions into handouts for "green" car developers and buyers, when the biggest difference could be made with a few speed limit signs. It's obvious that saving fuel isn't the real concern.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Never happen, it will be some new ecotech DI VVT motor that will have carbon buildup and need the heads removed and walnut cleaned every 100,000 miles...

No thanks

You're talking a different animal, the 2500s and 3500s don't fall under the same category as a 1500...

You're talking a different animal, the 2500s and 3500s don't fall under the same category as a 1500...

Do you really think for one second the next generation gas HD motor will not be direct injection?

Hate to tell you it is as good as it will ever get.

Why didn't GM come out with a 8L90E? The gear splits would make the 6.0 pull so much harder across the board, could even drop the axle ratio to give us more power out of the hole.

No thanks

Not necessarily! The way CAFE works on 'commercial' (heavy pickups) trucks there is actually a lot of leeway in the fuel economy and GHG standards for higher GVW trucks.. Larger 'simple' gasoline engines are by no means dead. Ford is actually working on a V-8 @ 7L, and I think GM may have something similar in the pipeline.

Not necessarily! The way CAFE works on 'commercial' (heavy pickups) trucks there is actually a lot of leeway in the fuel economy and GHG standards for higher GVW trucks.. Larger 'simple' gasoline engines are by no means dead. Ford is actually working on a V-8 @ 7L, and I think GM may have something similar in the pipeline.

I hope you are right, we have been begging for a 7.0 version of the 6.0 for years, give me a 7.0 with a 8L90E and 4.56 gears and you will have the perfect truck!

I hope you are right, we have been begging for a 7.0 version of the 6.0 for years, give me a 7.0 with a 8L90E and 4.56 gears and you will have the perfect truck!

Oh man...please don't make me start dreaming about a truck like that...I just bought a new one! Haha!

That would be one heck of a drive-train though! :driving:

Just wish they would have continued the 454 as an option and brought it up to date right along with the 6.0. I owned several 454's since the early 70's, my first a '73 El Camino SS, and always had a fondness for it. Would be interesting what the performance of that motor would be with the same technology that is in the L96.

Archived