Share your PSI

Curious to what everyone is running in their aftermarket LT tires. Just got a pair of 285/70r17 ridge grapplers and I'm trying to figure out the sweet spot between ride comfort, longevity and capacity. I have a chart from Toyo (which owns Nitto) regarding what the capacities at specific pressures are, so I have an idea to give me similar weight capacity to the factory P-rated tires.

Post up your tire specs, the pressure your running, and any comments you might have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just go to Toyo's website and download their tire/psi chart, it is in pdf format. It will tell you all you need to know on where to set your psi on your different than OEM size and type tire based on your OEM psi. For most people that switch from a P rated tire to a LT they are usually around 45 psi giver or take a couple psi. I have been using this chart for over a decade for my company trucks and work trucks and 45 psi is about where all of them have been. You have to be careful when running LT tires in that you have enough psi because if not you run a chance of a blowout if under inflated. It takes more psi in a LT tire to carry the same weight as a P rated tire does, sounds strange but that is how it is.

Just go to Toyo's website and download their tire/psi chart, it is in pdf format. It will tell you all you need to know on where to set your psi on your different than OEM size and type tire based on your OEM psi. For most people that switch from a P rated tire to a LT they are usually around 45 psi giver or take a couple psi. I have been using this chart for over a decade for my company trucks and work trucks and 45 psi is about where all of them have been. You have to be careful when running LT tires in that you have enough psi because if not you run a chance of a blowout if under inflated. It takes more psi in a LT tire to carry the same weight as a P rated tire does, sounds strange but that is how it is.

I used this to give me a baseline minimum psi, but I'm curious if it's beneficial to go even higher to alter the tires longevity and ride comfort.

Indeed! I always use load pressure charts from the tire maker. If not available as a download, one can usually get one emailed to them from the customer support folks at the tire maker. I have grown especially fond of tire maker charts on the right pressure to run. Having a chart you can get the right pressure based on the axle load on the tires. Probably why I have gotten over 447,000 miles on my commercial truck drive tires and averaged over 225,000 miles on my steer tires. Current set of steer tires has 230,000 miles on them and still 8-9/32 tread left and no uneven wear. Now, car and pickup tires are not going to get that kind of mileage, but you can bet that following the load pressure chart you will get the max out of your tires.

Side note, if you have to ask support for a chart, DO NOT specify the vehicle they are on. Else the tire maker will punt to the vehicle OEM recommended pressures. Specify only the tire type and size.

I used this to give me a baseline minimum psi, but I'm curious if it's beneficial to go even higher to alter the tires longevity and ride comfort.

Going higher will just result in the center part of the tread wearing sooner out as well as a harsher ride.

Archived