Need some Wheel Adapter Clarification ....

No responses needed asking why I want them or anything like that. I ran hub centric 1.5" adapters on the rear of my previous 2500HD. Towed heavy all the time with no problems.

I now have a 2014 Sierra 1500 SLT, with the factory 20" SLT wheels. Running 295/55 Open Country tires. I've researched the heck out of it and can't seem to find the answer I'm looking. I'd like to run 1.25" adapters all the way around but I have found mixed answers on whether or not I would have to cut the factory studs if I run anything less than 1.5".

I took a wheel off today and measured some things. The factory studs are 1 - 3/4" long. There is a recessed pocket on the factory wheels between all the stud holes that is 3/4" deep.

Am I correct in my thinking that with the way adapters bolt up to the factory studs, then the adapters to the wheels, that the factor studs that are left sticking out of the adapters will line up with these pockets on the wheels ? Therefore, if the adapters are 1.25" thick, there would be 1/2" of factory stud sticking out or protruding from the adapter, which would sit inside the recessed pocket of the factory wheel........ which is 3/4" deep..... which means that there would still be 1/4" of space left.

In other words, 1.25" adapters would work without me having to cut any of the factory studs.

Can someone clarify if that us accurate thinking ?

I saw a post from 2016 on gmfullsize where a guy with a 2014 SLT Sierra had 1.25" on the rear of his lifted truck, with factory wheels, but it was not said if he had to cut studs or not.

Thanks.....and my aplogies for the redundancy of the question.

only way to find out is, buy them and report back, the worst that could happen is you cut the factory studs down a notch or so, which is not so bad. if it doesn't work out for you later down the road then just replace the factory studs with new ones and remove spacers. I plan to run 1.5" in the rear to match the front width after getting my zone lift installed, i do know for a fact that i will have to cut the factory studs down a bit to get them to work, since my method nv wheels do not have the pockets that the factory wheels have.

I ordered some Bora 1.5" spacers for my 2011 and didn't realize I would have to cut my studs. I was only thinking I wasn't Keen on the 2" and the photo I saw of some Chevy wheels had deep pockets for stud clearance. However my wheels didn't turn out to have them. Same problem with my 2015 and I really don't want to cut my studs so I guess I will have to sell them. I think this time I'm going to look for the correct offset wheels although I think my current 20"LTZ wheels would look nice with the spacers. Good luck to you and hope it works!

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

I ordered some Bora 1.5" spacers for my 2011 and didn't realize I would have to cut my studs. I was only thinking I wasn't Keen on the 2" and the photo I saw of some Chevy wheels had deep pockets for stud clearance. However my wheels didn't turn out to have them. Same problem with my 2015 and I really don't want to cut my studs so I guess I will have to sell them. I think this time I'm going to look for the correct offset wheels although I think my current 20"LTZ wheels would look nice with the spacers. Good luck to you and hope it works!

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

How much you thinking? I'm about to buy some but hey if your getting rid of yours name your price...

• 2 weeks later...

10-4. Thanks for the responses. I'll be ordering them soon and will let y'all know how it works. By my math and measurements, 1" should work.

I'm really interested in your findings with the 1" and I would like to retain my stock rims when I go up in size on tires. Online, BORA says 1.5 will work if you have pockets.

So you ran spacers on your HD with no problem? I'm thinking those that had problems or failures with spacers weren't using hub centric.

• 1 month later...

I'm really interested in your findings with the 1" and I would like to retain my stock rims when I go up in size on tires. Online, BORA says 1.5 will work if you have pockets.

So you ran spacers on your HD with no problem? I'm thinking those that had problems or failures with spacers weren't using hub centric.

Sorry to tell y'all, but I have yet to order the adapters. Had way too much going on and a few extra expenses that has prevented me from doing much extra.

But Yes, I ran 1.5" on the rear of my 2006 2500 HD Diesel for years with no problems at all. And if I remember correctly I ordered them off Ebay. I just made sure they were hubcentric and quality made (from same material as BORA and others). I even pulled roughly 12,000 - 14,000 pounds several times per year with it and had no issues. That being said, my brother in law bought the exact same ones and pulled with it daily (farm 2500HD truck) and after about 4 or 5 years he had to replace a stud or 2 in the adapter. Other than that, no issues.

Archived