Chrome rims peeling

I have a 14 1500 high country. So far ive noticed the chrome on 2 rims peeling and the piping on my passenger seat tearing. Took it to the dealership and was told not covered under warranty. Truck has 45000 miles on it. Tried to contact gm customer service and all i get is experiencing technical dificulties try again later. Seriously wtf. Has anyone had these issues.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I have a 14 1500 high country. So far ive noticed the chrome on 2 rims peeling and the piping on my passenger seat tearing. Took it to the dealership and was told not covered under warranty. Truck has 45000 miles on it. Tried to contact gm customer service and all i get is experiencing technical dificulties try again later. Seriously wtf. Has anyone had these issues.

You have bumper to bumper warranty still. Should he covered then.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

You have bumper to bumper warranty still. Should he covered then.

Was told no at the dealer i purchased from. He said gm is gonna say normal wear and tear. No fng way, gonna try gm again tomorrow

Was told no at the dealer i purchased from. He said gm is gonna say normal wear and tear. No fng way, gonna try gm again tomorrow

Yeah, that's bs. It's not a tire, brake pad, air filter, etc. That's defective chrome.

As much as I would go back to the dealership over these issues as well, it's tough to gauge how this will go with GM.

The rims could have been curbed or damaged while driving and deteriorated. I'm not saying they were, I'm just saying this would be a common "wear and tear" area potentially.

As for the passenger seat, like another member said, do your passengers just slide off the seat? Usually you see this on the drivers seat as it's the most used due to this issue. I'm sure you have a grab handle on the passenger side; I would suggest your passenger uses this while getting in and out. GM may be more willing to assist on fixing this one.

In the end, remember to deal with the dealership or GM with respect... It can go a lot further than biting off their head right away. You could also try going to another dealership near by; you'd be surprised how a response can change between dealerships.

Best of luck!

The issue is, you guys think every single thing that can possibly go wrong with your vehicles is automatically covered by warranty.

We know nothing of what the op does to the trick etc and it could very well be defective chrome.... Or it could be actual wear and tear. He gets a big of curb rash/chips and it just eats away at the chrome until is starts coming off.... Normal wear and tear. As for the seat, same thing. No idea what the real issue is... And yet, everyone except rational guy a few posts above is "it's warranty" lol

Have you gone to any effort to protect the rims???? Wash, wax.......whatever???

Passenger seat.................is your significant other a fat body that slides into and off of the seat???

Truck is well maintained. And no fat guys in passanger seat.

• 3 weeks later...

All 4 of my wheels were replaced this month and mine had very little bubbling around the valve stems. My driver seat has the urathane coating starting to come off but they would replace. They said it was wear and tear item.

• Like 1

Just spoke with gm customer svc and they say nothing can be done. Gonna start looking for another avenue because these issues should not come up on a 3 yr old truck with 45k.

Where do you live? Salty road condition during winter maybe?

Yea the bumper to bumper only last for 3/36. So, unfortunately that's just reality of the situation. That kind of chrome plating peeling on those rims has been an issue for many different car makers. GM doesn't make them and I just think the plating sucks. I've seen some of the older 2001+ Cadillac devilles have that peeling issue. But normally the severe peeling is caused from adverse road conditions through the years, like living up north where salt is used on the roadways. In GM's eyes I'm sure there's gotta be some kind of cutoff as to what they'll cover or not. Realistically, rims take a beating just from normal use. So, I guess if I was GM, I wouldn't cover it either.

The seat cover on the high country trim models is terrible. I've replaced tons of them and they just get worn through again. Most of them that have the issue is the brown colored covers.

Just now seeing the OP lives in NY. That salty water gets in the small crevices and just lifts the chrome up. No way around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Justin101714

• 2 years later...

Chrome wheels Should be covered by New Car Warranty. I had mine replaced and it was the inside that was peeling in different places. This is after I meticulously wash and maintain the Truck. I live in Ontario and understand salt use ect but the issue is that these rims should last 3-4 years before any peeling period. Dont believe that a truck with peeling rims is ok before 3 years. These things aren't cheap.....

Edited by highspeedvehicle

Chrome wheels Should be covered by New Car Warranty. I had mine replaced and it was the inside that was peeling in different places. This is after I meticulously wash and maintain the Truck. I live in Ontario and understand salt use ect but the issue is that these rims should last 3-4 years before any peeling period. Dont believe that a truck with peeling rims is ok before 3 years. These things aren't cheap.....
Passed the 36 month warranty and it wasnt covered. Traded truck.in

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk