12 Ply/ Load Range F???

I was just curious if anyone is running 12 Ply tires on their 2500. I know that it will exceed the load capacity of the truck and most wheels, but here is my thoughts. If they can be had for not much more and will last significantly longer they might be worth checking out. I know some guys with 1500s will run 10 ply so they will hold up better and was wondering if you could get similar results with a 2500 and a 2500. These would be all terrain tires.

The ability of the tire to hold more weight, that's about it.

Tire wear is tire wear, only thing to help that dramatically is to have a harder rubber compound. Also in todays tire technology is the amount of silica that is added to the rubber compound, it strengthens this rubber somehow, you'll have to look that up, though.

Unless you go with a 19.5" commercial size tire, the wear will probably be similar to any other 17/18" tire...

I know the 19.5 is a popular conversion on the 2500/3500s, and I know those tires reportedly get 200k miles when used on an light truck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

A lot of hotshotters convert to these for that reason...even the agressive mud tires in the 19.5 get well over 100k.

Seriously? Even the aggressive 19.5's are getting that kind of mileage? If so, that's pretty impressive.....even on a 2500.

They are a different animal...a lot harder/more durable compound. I'm not sure how that translates into driveability? Just because they last longer doesn't mean they are great to drive on.

When you are looking for higher load ratings and long lasting tires, these fit the bill; but might ride horrible or be slippery in a light truck application.

Again, this is all third hand info from my days going back before 2012 when I bought the current truck...this was a common mod on the Dodge/Cummins forums.

I've been looking at those Ridge Grapplers in 35x12.20 18, lots of good reviews. My truck already rides rough, going up in load rating isn't what I want to do. I go back and forth between what tires I'm going to buy so much, to much. I should run a tire shop, I love tires. Therapy doesn't help, only the smell of new rubber cures it.

So I was doing a little research and I am not sure how they come up with these load ratings and load ranges. I looked at the max load capacity of some 33x12.5-18 load range F and some 285/65-18 and some load range E both are close to the same size and the 285 actually has a higher max load rating. So at this point I am not sure there is any real benefit to getting the load range F. I may send an email to Toyo or Nitto just for fun and see if I can get some input from someone to see what they have to say.

They are a different animal...a lot harder/more durable compound. I'm not sure how that translates into driveability? Just because they last longer doesn't mean they are great to drive on.

When you are looking for higher load ratings and long lasting tires, these fit the bill; but might ride horrible or be slippery in a light truck application.

Again, this is all third hand info from my days going back before 2012 when I bought the current truck...this was a common mod on the Dodge/Cummins forums.

How that translates is they don't get squat for traction unless the pickup is overloaded. Also ride like a log wagon on an unloaded pickup.

10 ply tires will often have deeper tread than say, 4 ply, and will usually run longer. If it was my 3/4 ton, I'd stick with 10 ply and enjoy the huge selection of tires available.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

How that translates is they don't get squat for traction unless the pickup is overloaded. Also ride like a log wagon on an unloaded pickup.

10 ply tires will often have deeper tread than say, 4 ply, and will usually run longer. If it was my 3/4 ton, I'd stick with 10 ply and enjoy the huge selection of tires available.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I am sure thats what I am going to do at this point. It was more or less out of curiosity that I started this thread. I did go ahead and email Toyo and Nitto since they both had the tires I was looking at just to see what they had to say.

I've been looking at those Ridge Grapplers in 35x12.20 18, lots of good reviews. My truck already rides rough, going up in load rating isn't what I want to do. I go back and forth between what tires I'm going to buy so much, to much. I should run a tire shop, I love tires. Therapy doesn't help, only the smell of new rubber cures it.

I run the ridge Grapplers in 305/55 R20. I think they're quieter than many AT tires even though they look like an MT. I run them at 65psi when I'm not towing. I like them a lot and I think the handle the wet weather better. Just because the tire is 12 ply, doesn't mean it's going to ride rougher. These tires ride way better than the 35" E rated Toyo ATs that I had on prior. This is on my 2016 3500.

An extra 3-400 pounds in the bed really makes it ride like a dream. :-)

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Well I heard back and they didn't tell me anything we didn't already know. Imagine that ?. They basically said that in the same tire size they have a higher rating than the E rated and that they are a tougher more durable compound. They also said they couldn't guarantee they would get more miles.

Archived