Reasonable dmax miles

They all the same! Ubber expensive to fix, maintain and operate.....I honestly know more people coming back to gassers now than say a few years ago when it was all about the DIESEL.

Diesel = Same as BOAT, RV for a name. If you have to do the speed limit while pulling I 70 through Colorado with 5 wheels, 12k pounds or whatever your reasoning is just open the wallet.

Friend has a 10 Duramax - Allison used to tow a 5th wheel in summer and used to move 800 miles with a 16 ft enclosed trailer, 5 trips. Mostly a daily driver, at 106k miles it needed $8k (dealer price)in fuel system work. :happysad:

The expense in repairs only came around with the introduction of the common rails and electronic injectors.

Think back to the 6.2l Detroit GM used forever...those things were very reliable and not that expensive to fix...power sucked, but they ran forever.

An old mechanical 12 valve Cummins was a slug, but a set of injectors was $200, injection pumps rarely needed anything, and they didn't need any electronics to stay running. Dirt simple, reliable, and those trucks got some of the best fuel mileage!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Ahhh the Detroit. Had them in all our old K5s in the mil along with glow plugs. Supposed to wait until the light went out before ignition but since we being us never was the case. The HUMMV now that diesel was a beast. Even better was the deuce and a half hybrid diesel. Ran on anything. Avgas,JP5(kerosene) diesel, gas, beer....

Edited by Surfarado

I think if I were going to invest in a significantly used diesel of any brand I would take it to the dealer and have it looked over... I think the Duramax tuner website has some cool videos on how to check out a used Duramax. Something to do with a boost pressure check.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Buy a 2004.5-2007 and don’t look back.  I’ve had a few of them.  Chassis’s are the weak point but overall really good trucks.  Takes a while to find one that some punk kid hasn’t ruined but they are out there.  I bought my last one with 140k on it and didn’t bat an eye at 5he mileage.  Plenty of these trucks with 500k+ on stock drivetrain.

• 6 months later...
On 7/18/2017 at 8:28 PM, Clint623 said:

I'm looking for a used dmax under 35k. What is a reasonable amount of miles for a dmax? Most of everything I see is right over 120k. When is the point I should be expecting something to fail?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on which model engine you buy some are great for the long haul. LBZs are great lmm and lml are great and even the llys are good. Not saying LB7s are bad they just have a few notorious issues at certain ages