Will Canada's GM Strike Backfire Big Time?

Gorehamj

59df718abbd21_CAMIGM.jpeg.fc0bf324b7235854a3b5c3221295acf1.jpeg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
10-12-2017

The strike at the General Motors Cami plant in Ontario, Canada is about jobs. Canadian workers who build the Chevy Equinox primarily for export to the United States feel as if their jobs are threatened by GM's plant in Mexico. "Feel" is realy an understatement. GM has moved jobs from the Cami Canada plant to its Mexico facilities. The union that represents the workers in the Cami plant have made it clear that the strike is about job security. Unfortunately, GM is fed up with delays to its top-selling non-Silverado model in North America. According to Reuters, GM is now making plans to move the jobs the union had hoped to protect to Mexico if the strike does not end soon.

"GM just told us today that they are going to ramp up production in Mexico," Unifor President Jerry Dias told Reuters. "They have declared war on Canada."

6 hours ago, Rme2513 said:

Why want GM just bring jobs back to the US instead of Canada or Mexico. Lower costs lower quality. Make America great again 

I have no problem with manufacturing jobs in Canada. The domestic brands have long manufactured in Canada. Certainly isn't cheaper- Canada has high labor costs just like here. Manufacturing certain vehicles in Mexico is all about cost- cheap labor, lower environmental standards and Mexico has trade agreements with tons more countries than America or Canada so it means they can export cars from there duty-free. Don't like it at all but I get it. That said, I'll never buy a vehicle made in Mexico. 

Archived