Scan tools

New here, the few threads I have read has not answered my questions. Does anyone have and use the AutoEnginuiy program and how do you like it? I have been thinking aboot making a purchase of a scan tool that will reduce bringing my vehicles to the shops. The bluepoint brand I have only reads engine codes. I'm looking to pick up the AE software along with the GM family interface. If you have it, how many updates did you have to purchase? 

my vehicles- 08 crewcab 1500 5.3 and 08 Yukon 6.2

https://www.autoenginuity.com

• 3 weeks later...

no response, ordered anyway. so far so good. trouble shoot the air suspension light to a bad compressor and pin point which air bag sensor was faulty wiff this program. $500 spend,  almost more than half saved for not going to the shop. 

I bought it for my '04 Sierra 3500 a couple of years ago.  I think I updated the software once, but not for any specific feature, as from what I can tell, they aren't adding support for anything new for my truck,  They probably aren't going to do much new stuff for your truck either, since it's 10 years old now...

I found it to be worthwhile, initially got it to aid with bleeding my brakes, but also helped with figuring out how to get the engine working properly.

I would say buying the FSM for my truck has saved me the most money, second would be Autogenuity...

You've made your purchase already but I would recommend the Tech2, same tool the techs use at the dealerships.  You can see and test just about everything with it and reprogram modules, etc.  GM has moved on to something newer so the prices for these have come way down from the factory in China that makes them. 

I thought about a Tech2, but have never used anything more than a fancy code reader in the past. (GoPoint BT1)

Prices are certainly down there for a Tech2, but what little I can decifer - are these for 2013 or older?

Forgive my ignorance - but my recent interest in the possibility of obtaining such a tool leads me to a few questions?

What is the most recent software (version) I would look for in a Tech2

Will the latest Tech2 work (fully) on my 2015 Suburban?

Does the Tech2 work on all older OBD2 GM vehicles?

If I were to find and want to replace a component that needed to be reprogrammed - how expensive is it to download individual module updates (I realize this question may be outside the box)

What Diagnostic Tools are the dealers using now?

The latest software for the Tech2 was 33.004 for North American Operations.  It would work for GMT900s but not your 2015 K2 Suburban and goes back to the mid 1990s or so.  As in the other thread, you'll need the MDI with GDS2 software and a laptop.  If you have to reprogram something, you can buy a short-term subscription, something like $55 for three days access.

It's near impossible to properly and quickly diagnose a modern automobile without these devices.  I was frustrated for years because I could not work on nor properly diagnose my last GM van but this time bought the Tech2 right after buying the truck.  It's paid for itself several times over already.  

Archived