Would going no higher than 5th gear stop the lifter issue

I was thinking that keeping it out of 6th gear so AFM doesn’t activate keep me from the lifter issues. The higher RPM’s aren’t that much higher. This is a 14 5.3L with 6spd trans

I was thinking that keeping it out of 6th gear so AFM doesn’t activate keep me from the lifter issues. The higher RPM’s aren’t that much higher. This is a 14 5.3L with 6spd trans
I would only stay in M5 up until 60mph. I stay in M5 80% of the time. I don't know if it'll help with the lifter failure but it does keep the truck in V8.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

On 1/12/2018 at 5:21 PM, Bxnanaz said:

Gen Vs aren’t known for lifter failures. Not nearly as bad as IVs. The only thing that will really keep your lifters happy is keeping up with your oil changes.

This, just because you hear of a few rogue failures doesn't mean it is common. Drive it and enjoy it and regularly change the oil...

Tyler

Yeah the Gen V LT-based engines seem to be a lot less prone to collapsed lifters.

2,291,039 Chevy Silverados (roughly 15% are HD trucks, so 1,947,383 are half-tons)

875,595 GMC Sierras (obvious a small percentage are HD trucks, maybe 10%, so 788,035 half-tons)

120,000 Corvettes

304,000 6th Gen Camaros (assuming 70% are V8's, so approx. 212,800)

388,335 Chevy Tahoes

222,473 Chevy Suburbans

186,931 GMC Yukons

133,199 GMC Yukon XL's

Edit: I also forgot the Cadillac Escalade - 87,310 sold. Also I haven't added in an Canadian sales for these vehicles. It would probably add at least a few hundred thousand Gen V engines.

So a rough estimate of 4,500,000 Gen-V LT-based V8's have been sold between 2014 and the end of 2017. That's well over 30 million AFM lifters (8 per V8, 6 per V6) on the road today. Frankly I'm surprised there aren't more AFM lifter failures.

If anyone thinks I messed up this estimate let me know. I just casually threw this together at work.

AFM can cause other issues besides failed lifters. I have a 2014 WT I use for a beater truck, it is a 5.3L w/ 6L80e. The transmission would lock itself into 2nd or 3rd occasionally when I coasted from a 50mph zone to the 35mph town limit. Once it abruptly downshifted into a low gear, it would squeak the tires and then I could not get it to shift out of that gear without a scan tool. So I drove around with the tool so I wasn't hooped when it happens. GM replaced the TEHCM and were out of ideas when it didn't help the issue. Then one day I started to drive in Manual  mode and noticed it would never do it in M5, but if you coasted in M6 it would lock the trans again. After researching and finding out AFM does not engage in M5 with the 6L80e I knew the issue was tied to AFM. With the warranty being gone, I bought a programmer and deleted AFM, and I haven't had an issue since. I know it is not tied directly to the lifters, or it may be causing it to misfire and send false signals to the TEHCM, but AFM gave me and my dealer a lot of headaches on this particular case. But I have no engine ticking or odd noises beside the injection pump. For the gains you get out of it I would rather see it left off these trucks. But we all know the EPA wouldn't allow such nonsense. 

Archived