Fixing problem with filling up gas tank

Bobbie

Question

• Answers 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, especially true today.

Without being able to test the components, you're only choice is to fire the parts cannon at it. That gets VERY expensive.

Without testing, your guess is as good as mine from 500 miles away, as to what the actual problem is. You might have to seek out some friends that have more experience with this, or, bite the bullet, and find a competent local garage to get to the root of the problem.

3 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

Is there any way to find out if it is bad with out expensive equipment 

Without being able to command the valve open and closed, you're really out of options. The circuit can be tested with a basic test light, but you need control of the commands.

If it were my truck, I'd take everything back apart, and inspect EVERYTHING for any debris - namely charcoal pellets from the old canister that may be blocking flow. 

I already replaced the vent that goes on top of the filler neck.  And the code was p0446 not p0466. But even after replacing the canister the code is now pending again

Going on memory here. My 99 Sierra 1500 had this problem. Replaced all the usual suspects and blew out all the lines. There was a “spring” inside the connection hose between tank and filler. That spring moved down the hose and was a restriction of sorts. It was a free fix and had worked for 5 plus years now.

Sent from device. Excuse errors.

Probably have trash in the vent, or a bad vent valve (or its wiring).

Archived