After market remote starter

I am looking for input on an aftermarket remote starter on a 2017 2500HD WT with keyless entry, found out today from dealer this truck has no OEM remote starter available.

We do have a very reputable aftermarket enterprise close by that install these and stereo systems.

Anybody experience problems after installing one in a truck like mine? And why in the world would Chevy not have this available when spending this kind of money for a truck.

Work truck or not, blows my mind nowadays.

We had an aftermarket on our Trailblazer. Only input I would say is stay away from CompuStar.

Viper is decent, but the CompuStar got stupid after 7 or 8 years. A friend also has the CompuStar, and same issue - car acts up because of remote starter.

Everyone has different experiences I guess. I have added compustars to my trucks and the only trouble I had was with 2 remotes quitting but always got a new one under warranty. Other than that no troubles. I like them becaause they can be set for 45 minutes. When it is -40 ten minutes doesn't warm anything up. 

On 26/01/2018 at 4:52 PM, Nhcampbells said:

I am looking for input on an aftermarket remote starter on a 2017 2500HD WT with keyless entry, found out today from dealer this truck has no OEM remote starter available.

We do have a very reputable aftermarket enterprise close by that install these and stereo systems.

Anybody experience problems after installing one in a truck like mine? And why in the world would Chevy not have this available when spending this kind of money for a truck.

Work truck or not, blows my mind nowadays.

I think you should inquire at a different dealer. If the truck is equipped with a remote fob from the factory for opening the doors and entry. Then all the dealer has to do is change out the fobs with ones that have the remote start button and do a reprogram on the bcm. pretty easy these days. Id call around a couple dealers. This should be a very straight forward and easy upgrade for any new vehicle. I know a few that have already had this done etc. 

4 hours ago, 2016HD said:

I think you should inquire at a different dealer. If the truck is equipped with a remote fob from the factory for opening the doors and entry. Then all the dealer has to do is change out the fobs with ones that have the remote start button and do a reprogram on the bcm. pretty easy these days. Id call around a couple dealers. This should be a very straight forward and easy upgrade for any new vehicle. I know a few that have already had this done etc. 

Funny you should say that.  I called Chevy and they are looking into the matter. 

I was like” WTH” there is no way to install a remote starter? The local audio and electronics place says they do them all the time. 

I’ll probably go there as the quoted price at Chevy ( before they couldn’t find a part) was the same price anyways. 

Dont really trust having dealer do it now anyways. Lol

thanks for the reply. 

UPDATE: Chevy calls me today and tells me the part # needed 22997090.(fob)

Before they called, I called another dealer who said no problem $605 to add.

Call my dealership back and he tells me " yes Chevy called and we were looking up a different part # but we can do it for $413. Aftermarket was $499

I will have the OEM installed.

Thank you to everybody on these forums for their inputs, Just have to dig to find answers and get things done.

Have a great day

1 hour ago, Nhcampbells said:

UPDATE: Chevy calls me today and tells me the part # needed 22997090.(fob)

Before they called, I called another dealer who said no problem $605 to add.

Call my dealership back and he tells me " yes Chevy called and we were looking up a different part # but we can do it for $413. Aftermarket was $499

I will have the OEM installed.

Thank you to everybody on these forums for their inputs, Just have to dig to find answers and get things done.

Have a great day

It pays 0.5hrs book time right from GM on that.  The kit is $275.  Even if they are $100/hr they are still about $50+ high on that.  Our accessory rate is $80/hr at work, so $315 installed before tax.   Might want to check their pricing on that.  If you go to their website and see the accessory section, they should have a catalog that's hosted by GM with all the info and then the dealer's labor rate calculates an install price.   

2 hours ago, newdude said:

It pays 0.5hrs book time right from GM on that.  The kit is $275.  Even if they are $100/hr they are still about $50+ high on that.  Our accessory rate is $80/hr at work, so $315 installed before tax.   Might want to check their pricing on that.  If you go to their website and see the accessory section, they should have a catalog that's hosted by GM with all the info and then the dealer's labor rate calculates an install price.   

Unfortunately we have little choices to pick from. The one dealer was 2.5 hours away and charges $605 the one I bought the truck from is 50 minutes away and charges $413 the third one I wouldn’t deal with. 

So that is what I have to pick from. 

But thanks for all the info. 

If your gonna spend money dont do it on the crappy oem unit.

I have a Viper 5706V 2-Way, Remote Start and Alarm.

All Doors, Hood and Tailgate, Shock and Tilt Sensor, Window Roll up and Down.

Wouldn't go any other way.

2 minutes ago, CuzznVinny said:

If your gonna spend money dont do it on the crappy oem unit.

I have a Viper 5706V 2-Way, Remote Start and Alarm.

All Doors, Hood and Tailgate, Shock and Tilt Sensor, Window Roll up and Down.

Wouldn't go any other way.

If you don’t mind me asking what was the installed price of that?

Viper was about $200, DB3 interface $40, Tilt sensor $20.

I did the install myself, so for under $300 it was a no brainer.

I've put this same setup on my trucks for years.

Back when I used to have a shop install them it was around $400 - $600 complete depending on where you go.

If your comfortable with wiring its not that hard at all, its all databus nowadays so very few wires to land.

4 minutes ago, CuzznVinny said:

Viper was about $200, DB3 interface $40, Tilt sensor $20.

I did the install myself, so for under $300 it was a no brainer.

I've put this same setup on my trucks for years.

Back when I used to have a shop install them it was around $400 - $600 complete depending on where you go.

If your comfortable with wiring its not that hard at all, its all databus nowadays so very few wires to land.

Thanks. I am somewhat mechanically/electrically inclined, but I’m not real sure of myself doing one of these especially with a new rig. I figured the app will work with this. A friend says his does. 

Archived