Considering new truck, thoughts?

SSchup

Since the new 2019's will be coming later this Summer, been thinking about trading my 2013 Sierra for a 2018. I'm thinking the deals should be pretty good here the next couple months.

Been shopping online prices and looks like best prices would be to go out of state, like Laura GMC.

With that said, I'm a little concerned with the problems I've read about on here with these new 8-speeds and the afm engines. My 2013 is a 6.2 and been the most reliable truck I've had, so I'm a little hesitant to get rid of it.

Just wanted some others opinions who have went to the newer K2 platform.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding your question.  You have a truck you like.  You want a new truck but you're not sure you will like the 19+ model.  Is this right?  Does your existing 6.2 not have afm?  50% of this entire forum is dedicated to issues people have had.  Will you have those issues, who knows?  By and large most issues have a reasonable fix, even the 8 speed.  You just need to tune it if you don't like the way it works.  Go in with you eyes open and you won't be surprised or disappointed.  You always hope yours will be good, but problems can happen.

Yes there have been bigger problems that have resulted in buy backs, but they are rare compared to the number of trucks they sell.  Forums tend to make the issues seem much more prevalent than they may really be.  Who comes to a forum to say " hey, my truck is just fine"?

I purchased my 2015 because I liked my '09.  It was a great truck!  As luck would have it, I like the '15 even more! and I should seriously be considering a year-end '18.  Don't let anything you read on this forum discourage you.  Odds are in your favor that the '18 will be as problem free as your '13.

Truck's get more and more complex as the newer generations come out so if you like the 2018 I'd grab one. For example the AFM integration which many people complain about on the K2 generation will only be amplified when the 2019+ models are trying to squeeze even more fuel economy out.

I have some annoyances with my 2018, but at the end of the day I love it because I got a great deal on it and it makes me happy driving it around everyday.

I have absolutely no issues with AFM. I don't understand why so many people feel the need to disable it. It transitions seamlessly for me and I don't notice it at all unless I see the little green "V4" on the screen. If there is really any increased oil consumption from it, my truck is too new to see any of that.

I don't have the 8 spd, but my 6 speed is perfectly smooth and I have never experienced the gear hunting or other issues reported on here. I don't know what some people expect from an automatic transmission.

I would recommend this generation to anyone. Like Mike GMC said, don't let the complaints on this forum scare you away. They represent only a tiny percentage of all the trucks on the road.

Just read a 3 year study from JD Power on light duty trucks,and the 15 Silverado got a 5 out of 5 on reliability. Ford got 4 out of 5. Like others have said,people come hear to complain. I'm completely happy with my 15 Sierra.

While I wouldn't discourage anyone from purchasing a 2018 or 2019, the transmission issues are not phantom issues...there's something wrong with how they tuned/coded these transmissions.  I had a 2007 GMC Sierra work truck (4.8 L V-8) that drove smooth engine wise up until I traded it in 3 weeks ago at 150k miles.  I purchased a 2018 Silverado 1500 (5.3L - 6Spd)...I love the truck, however...when driving at a consistent speed the truck is chugging, fumbling, whatever you want to call it...looking for a gear.  Installing an AFM disabler has helped a great deal, but when trying to hold a steady consistent speed while in 6th gear at low RPMs...it just constantly jerks, misfires.  I've talked to 2 other people that have 5.3L 2017 models and they experience the exact same thing.  That's when I decided that it's likely not a break-in period issue and found this site and the many others on this site that have experienced the exact same issue.  I'd like to do the BB performance tune that others swear by, but I'm only 700 miles into this truck and don't want to void any warranty, so I'm holding off on that.  Again, really like the truck, and am hopeful that GM will come out with some type of fix to make these things drive like they should, without the constant gear hunting while at high gear/low rpm/consistent speeds.          

My 15 was the same way for the first 1000 or 2000 miles. I sold my 06 Silverado and got my 15 Sierra and thought holy crap this transmission is horrible. But now at 31,000 it is smooth silk and have no problems with it.

My 16 Silverado 5.3 3.42 had a shudder while slowing down at about 11k miles. Took it dealer replaced valve body and transmission control module. Besides that my truck has been flawless.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, 15 Z71 said:

My 15 was the same way for the first 1000 or 2000 miles. I sold my 06 Silverado and got my 15 Sierra and thought holy crap this transmission is horrible. But now at 31,000 it is smooth silk and have no problems with it.

Definitely encouraging to hear!  So you didn't do any type of tune or anything like that...it just worked itself out somehow?

3 hours ago, Mike GMC said:

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding your question.  You have a truck you like.  You want a new truck but you're not sure you will like the 19+ model.  Is this right?  Does your existing 6.2 not have afm?  50% of this entire forum is dedicated to issues people have had.  Will you have those issues, who knows?  By and large most issues have a reasonable fix, even the 8 speed.  You just need to tune it if you don't like the way it works.  Go in with you eyes open and you won't be surprised or disappointed.  You always hope yours will be good, but problems can happen.

Yes there have been bigger problems that have resulted in buy backs, but they are rare compared to the number of trucks they sell.  Forums tend to make the issues seem much more prevalent than they may really be.  Who comes to a forum to say " hey, my truck is just fine"?

Maybe I was a little wishy washy with my wording there. I think you pretty much understood what I was trying to say though.

Basically it comes  down to this, I really like the style of the 16+ Sierra's and Silverado's and I would prefer not  to be a beta tester for the 19's . Additionally, the new design doesn't really appeal to me.

I'd prefer to buy new since with what I've seen so far, not much cost advantage to buying used  unless you were looking for higher mileage. So with that said. I'll be looking for a 2018, hopefully with some good discounts and a full warranty.

I see.  I bought my 15 on January 2 this year.  Had 28,500 miles on it.  I paid about 18k less than new.  It's a CPO vehicle, so they extend the bumper to bumper by 12 Mo and 12k miles and drive train was extended 12 months but still at 100k.  The 15's had a better drivetrain warranty than the 16+ to start with.

I'm certainly not saying you shouldn't buy new.  It's very cool to be the only owner of a vehicle.  But I can't make the numbers work for me.  63 cents a mile in depreciation is a big pill to swallow.  Not as bad as other cars though.  Trucks hold value better than most cars, but that's still a big hit. 

If you plan to keep it forever, maybe it doesn't matter.  It doesn't sound like you need a new truck now, so you have time to watch for exactly what you want.  That's what I did.  I wasn't really planning to buy when I did, but I found exactly what I wanted and I beat them up until they gave me the price I wanted.

Good luck.

Archived