Bridgestone Adds New Blizzak LT Winter Tire For Large Pickups and SUVs

Gorehamj

Blizzak LT winter super duty pickup tire.png

John Goreham

Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com

2-21-2018

Bridgestone announced today that the company has created a new Blizzak model specifically for heavy-duty pickups and large SUVs. This new tire line will augment Bridgestone's already existing line of DM-V2 and other models for winter and now covers up to 93% of the largest pickup truck and SUV tire sizes. The new LT also offers longer tread life. Anyone who owns Blizzaks knows that the softer compound usually has a minimum of three full seasons of full winter driving capability and then wears to become roughly the equivalent of a good all-season tire for another two (if kept). That assumes half of a typical 15K mile driving year. The new LT is designed to go much longer so that commercial vehicle owners will have a better return on investment and also be able to handle a higher duty cycle per year. Also, as any winter tire owner knows, winter tires cost the owner almost nothing, since they allow the 3-season tires to "rest" and not accumulate miles. Winter tires are typically about 75% the cost of the all-season tires for that given size, also keeping the cost of ownership very low.

2018-01-30 11.34.24.jpg

For those who may not have used winter tires since the old days a couple of decades back a little background. Unlike older "snow tires," modern winter tires use an entirely different design to accomplish their task of superior performance in cold weather and snow/icy/slushy conditions. They are dramatically quieter and handle quite well in rain and dry conditions. The compound and tread design are the keys, but the tread and tire shape is also different for any given size. Winter tires use a compound with silica (think sand) in the compound to offer excellent ice performance. Sipes, or small zig-zag tread cuts, offer biting edges and hold snow to the tire. The coefficient of snow on snow is better than that of rubber or steel on snow, and a glance at a winter tire that has been run over snow illustrates that design approach. Older "snow tires" were designed to try to push down through the snow to the pavement. So that the rubber could meet the road so to speak.    

"The Bridgestone Blizzak LT tire is the next-generation in winter performance for heavy-duty pickup trucks and SUVs," said Erik Seidel, president, consumer replacement tire sales, U.S. and Canada, Bridgestone Americas Tire Operations. "Light truck customers are demanding a dedicated winter tire that allows them to easily navigate the nastiest winter conditions season after season, and the Blizzak LT tire delivers."

The GM-Trucks.com extended family has three vehicles with winter tires (and all happen to be Blizzaks). One subcompact crossover, one compact crossover, and one midsize SUV.  The difference is dramatic and anyone who tries winter tires usually becomes a convert. This story is not a paid placement. We are just big fans.  

Do we have any members that use winter tires? How have they worked for you?

John it's been awhile but yes. Not just snow tires but Blizzaks. You would have to use chains to get better bite in packed snow and while you won't do any 1 G cornering on ice with them (nor any tire) you will feel very safe as any sane speeds. I love this tire and prefer it over studs or chains. 

I put a set of four on a 1997 5.0 Mustang :lol: and she would go anywhere a CJ5 would (on road of course) and just as surely. It's an amazing tire that I can only imagine has been improved since my last use. I believe when they were first introduced they pretty much trashed the snow tire market for everyone else. It's something special. 

Of course they did ... because I just bought a brand new set of DM-V2's last year. :sigh:

Anyway, nothing better than dedicated snows. I was sold after I bought my first set of DM-V1's for the OE 18" wheels on my '07 Silverado. One October we got a freak 2'+ snowstorm that knocked out power for over a week in my area. That night, I happened to be in the city visiting my buddy in ICU after a post-surgery infection nearly killed him. Storm started around 7pm - I left the hospital around 1:30am. There was at least a foot of unplowed snow on the road.

Truck was going fine thought it all. Couldn't really tell one way or the other at that moment whether they were better than the OE Dueler A/Ts. Then, I came up on a guy doing 10 mph (literally), in the left lane. Went to pass him on the right, when I noticed this idiot in a s10 Blazer going full bore up the right lane in my side mirror (no tire tracks whatsoever in that lane). He nearly hit my truck - saw him at least 1" away from my rear quarter in the mirror. Now he's hanging there - won't pass, and won't slow down - and I can't get around the 10mph guy in front of me. City driving for ya - we're the only 3 vehicles on the road too! I started to get impatient ... and this guy behind me wouldn't give up an inch, so when I finally got that inch, I took it. I cut right in front of him, hit the throttle and started going 40mph through the unplowed snow, with this clown right on my bumper (he finally got brave after having someone to follow). After about 5 miles, I was getting a little irritated at this guy being 1' off my bumper, so now I found myself doing 60. Dumb, given the conditions. Guy backed off a bit, but was still at least a car length off my bumper. Thankfully the light was green, and we blew through, around a corner, and down a slight hill.  Now I notice what I thought was the guy high-beaming me in my rearview! Looked in the mirror thinking I'm about to get into a road rage incident .... and I see that Blazer fishtailing down the road! He careened across the entire road and cranked the curb on the opposite side - could see his truck shake and hop violently from the impact- then the same as he careened back to our side of the road, and cranked that curb! At that moment I looked down to see I was going 50 mph! My truck was ROCK SOLID, sticking to the road like glue! I had no idea we were on a glare sheet of ice!! By the time I decided to slow down, I came up on an S-turn -normally not a big deal at the speed limit, but I was way over that. Truck started pushing hard - thought I was going to jump the curb, but I just let off the gas slowly, didn't touch the brake, and she straightened right out! Next corner came, and I did the same. Made it through the S, and started accelerating back up to 40 up the hill. That guy was nowhere in sight. :D 

After that, I put dedicated snow tires on my wife's winter car, and recommend them to everyone I talk to. If I had cheaped out and kept my worn, OE tires, I probably would've totaled my truck, then ended up in the slammer for road rage! Blizzaks saved my ass  - TWICE in one night! :)

2 hours ago, Jsdirt said:

After that, I put dedicated snow tires on my wife's winter car, and recommend them to everyone I talk to. If I had cheaped out and kept my worn, OE tires, I probably would've totaled my truck, then ended up in the slammer for road rage! Blizzaks saved my ass  - TWICE in one night! :)

Riveting, from the get go. Thanks!! Love a well written post like this. Especially when it's true to life. Great share. 

Archived