Burning smell in cab followed by exploding rear window

Hi i have a 2015 sierra 2500hd duramax. Had a burning smell in my cab the other night and then my rear window shattered on the passenger side. Im not sure what happened took the rear seats out nothing looks like it burnt up. If someone could shine some light on this i dont want to put a $700 window in and it happen again. The window is power slide with the defrost. 

10 minutes ago, HoosierZ said:

Was the rear defroster on at the time? Just a wild-ass guess but maybe the grid had a short in it causing a hot spot where the break began. 

Thats the strange part. It was on when i had the burning smell. Shut it off and about five minutes later the window exploded. 

I know a couple people who had this happen to their Dodge Caravan. It's likely the rear defrost overheated glass. You may have turned it off before glass broke, but too late to prevent window from breaking.

Hopefully still under warranty - they may replace it.

• 10 months later...

THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME!

2016 Gmc sierra denali HD

My dealer is saying there is a point of impact on window that caused the problem so they would not help!! But i think short caused that " point of impact" BS!

Did they help u? I am determined to prove its their fault even though my insurance is covering it!

Edited by Lee_lee