My new 2018 GMC Sierra SLT premium plus Max tow crew cab standard bed

I'm just glad that GM is finally putting significant rear axle on the 1/2 ton trucks again.  They languished with the sketchy 10 bolt for what, 43 years?  Plus it's way cool that the 12 bolt is back!  At least to and old guy like me that remembers, and misses, the old 12 bolt.

Got my gmt900 wheels put on. 285/75/r17. About 32.7” tall. no rubbing. Lots of room by bumper and rear liner. I can take measurements later if someone wants clearance info. Truck is bone stock.

764FEB16-DC14-49D8-9333-794A4244AF68.thumb.jpeg.a7c4a852ddb4d9493b543dd54f6db06d.jpeg

Speedo is slow 2mph. speedo says 70. Gps says 72. Will that affect much? Not sure if my dealer will adjust. 

C5292A68-C524-47FB-863B-D874F4D5D072.jpeg

FYI I had tire shop put on the stick on weights that go on inside of wheel. There is only room for 1 layer of stick on weights because 2 layers will not clear caliper. 

Edited by 2009GMC

9 minutes ago, Mike GMC said:

Not quite sure why you went down to the 17s, but looks good.  I also liked the chrome stock wheels.  Did you get the bilstiens on, or did they fit without them?

Fit without them.

Bilstiens on order. I already had these wheels and tires. I didn’t like the chrome clad 20” wheels. Tire shop also chipped the chrome clad by valve stem when moving sensors to other wheels. Found out the SLT premium plus 20” is really an aluminum wheel with a PLASTIC cover with chrome paint? Layer. Ridiculous! One curb rash must just destroy these. And this is a premium wheel? LOL

http://www.originalwheels.com/blog/2012/06/cladded-chrome-wheels/

1 hour ago, Mike GMC said:

I'm just glad that GM is finally putting significant rear axle on the 1/2 ton trucks again.  They languished with the sketchy 10 bolt for what, 43 years?  Plus it's way cool that the 12 bolt is back!  At least to and old guy like me that remembers, and misses, the old 12 bolt.

My 97 has the f44 semi float 14 bolt rearend. Which is pretty much the 2500 gmt400 reared but with 6 lug instead of 8. When I tell people it has 200k on it they ask how may times have you rebuilt the 10 bolt? 

I had had to double check vin, GVW and build sheet on the 2018 since I kept counting 12 bolts and expected 14. 

Edited by 2009GMC

7 hours ago, Kubs said:

I thought GM changed the bolt pattern somewhere around 2010.  Or is that just the 3/4 ton and up 8 lug?

Half tons 1988 - 2018 are same bolt pattern. 

HD bolt batteren changed in 2011 - 2019+

My 2000 has a 10 bolt with 226k on it.  The g80 is broken and the gears are pretty worn out.  I need to rebuild it this summer.  Not bad for a 10 bolt, but it's never had big tires or seen much hard driving.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 2009GMC said:

Half tons 1988 - 2018 are same bolt pattern. 

HD bolt batteren changed in 2011 - 2019+

Thanks for clearing that up. I knew it was one of them.

1 minute ago, Kubs said:

Thanks for clearing that up. I knew it was one of them.

Np. I’ve seen a few GMT800 HD Trucks with GMT900 HD wheels using a bolt pattern adapter so it can be done but not sure how HD the adapters are. 

20 minutes ago, 2009GMC said:

Fit without them.

Bilstiens on order. I already had these wheels and tires. I didn’t like the chrome clad 20” wheels. Tire shop also chipped the chrome clad by valve stem when moving sensors to other wheels. Found out the SLT premium plus 20” is really an aluminum wheel with a PLASTIC cover with chrome paint? Layer. Ridiculous! One curb rash must just destroy these. And this is a premium wheel? LOL

http://www.originalwheels.com/blog/2012/06/cladded-chrome-wheels/

Wow, never knew they cheaped out on the wheels like that.  I know a growing trend even in aftermarket wheels is a PVD finish.  Looks like chrome, but isn't.  Not exactly sure what it is, but it's not chrome.

Got my gmt900 wheels put on. 285/75/r17. About 32.7” tall. no rubbing. Lots of room by bumper and rear liner. I can take measurements later if someone wants clearance info. Truck is bone stock.

764FEB16-DC14-49D8-9333-794A4244AF68.thumb.jpeg.a7c4a852ddb4d9493b543dd54f6db06d.jpeg

Speedo is slow 2mph. speedo says 70. Gps says 72. Will that affect much? Not sure if my dealer will adjust. 

Looks like your new tires are 4.8% larger in circumference and diameter. Looks on the site "Tire Comparison" and put in your stock size and the new tire size and it will show you the difference.
So your speed will be off 4.8% at all speeds not just a "general" 2 mph.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mike GMC said:

Wow, never knew they cheaped out on the wheels like that.  I know a growing trend even in aftermarket wheels is a PVD finish.  Looks like chrome, but isn't.  Not exactly sure what it is, but it's not chrome.

Yeah, they have used that chrome clad crap for years...Im not sure why they think thats such a great idea...The wheels on my my truck are included with the Max tow package are the actual polished aluminum... Im not sure why on the CC std bed trucks they get the crappy chrome clad ones

The Premium plus package gets the chrome clad wheels, but the Max tow package wheels replace the wheels in the PP package... Seems like this is only the case with short bed trucks

2 hours ago, ajensen383 said:

Yeah, they have used that chrome clad crap for years...Im not sure why they think thats such a great idea...The wheels on my my truck are included with the Max tow package are the actual polished aluminum... Im not sure why on the CC std bed trucks they get the crappy chrome clad ones

The Premium plus package gets the chrome clad wheels, but the Max tow package wheels replace the wheels in the PP package... Seems like this is only the case with short bed trucks

I just listed mine on Craig’s. A few others already out there anywhere from 1200 - 1500 for new takeoffs with tires. Will see what happens....

Btw. There are a few YouTube videos out that you can replace the plastic chrome clad part. Some wheel covers are freezer taped on. Replace with a new cover. That’s about the only plus. I’d still rather have an aluminum wheel.  

Edited by 2009GMC