Lifted truck antenna mod

What i mean by this is has anyone bothered to get a shorter antenna closer to the real height of the truck to insure that if you pull into an area not signed with the height, you can test by merely pulling up to the antenna and if it clears you are good.. 

The factory works fine, but it sticks up like an extra 3 or 4 inches past the top of the truck and granted that helps, but id like to know for sure if the antenna is shorter and hits, then not worth taking the risk.. if it clears then no problem.

Does that make sense?

Just looking for an atenna closer to the top of the cab plus sat antenna height that not.. 

Good idea for peace of mind. I wouldn't know what the exact length is, but just get a tape measure.

First measure from the ground to the highest point on the truck. Next measure from the ground to the top of the stock antenna. The difference between the two numbers will equate to the length that the stock antenna needs to be shortened by (plus maybe an inch for guaranteed clearance).

Search for that length on amazon.... There are a billion different aftermarket antennas you can buy.

Good idea for peace of mind. I wouldn't know what the exact length is, but just get a tape measure.

First measure from the ground to the highest point on the truck. Next measure from the ground to the top of the stock antenna. The difference between the two numbers will equate to the length that the stock antenna needs to be shortened by (plus maybe an inch for guaranteed clearance).

Search for that length on amazon.... There are a billion different aftermarket antennas you can buy.
You can cut a few inches off the factory antenna and paint the top. I did and haven't lost any reception of my local stations. I tried after market antennas and they broke going through the car wash or didn't pull in local stations...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I drive into Boston for work and while most of the garages are not tall enough for a lifted full sized truck I did manage to find one place, however my antenna kept hitting the pipes suspended from the ceiling as they market the height incorrectly. I swapped from factory to stubby antenna to get rid of this knowing the stubby would perform worse but by god is it terrible.

I'd say if it doesn't rub where you drive daily then just leave it. Not worth the hassle IMO.

it doesnt rub everyday, just everyday i choose to park in the garage at work.

Now because its a good few inches taller than the trucks roof, id rather have it closer to the actual height of the truck just so i have a method to verify where i can and cant fit.. 

for now i guess ill let it keep scrapping ;)

Like dcarl said shorten the stock antenna. There’s a thread on here somewhere where the guy was able to get the ball on the end off shorten the antenna and reinstall the ball.  If you can’t get the ball back on a plastic or rubber cap will work just have to find one the right size.

Archived