Bed lighting - wiring?

I bought a $25 set of LEDs from Autozone and just tapped into the trailer harness underneath. I also added a switch in the bed so I can turn them on/off whenever. Since these pics were taken, I've added factory GM wire clips to hold the wires up out of site. gallery_167112_4425_6313985.jpggallery_167112_4425_122778.jpggallery_167112_4425_8643538.jpggallery_167112_4425_10495667.jpg

I bought a $25 set of LEDs from Autozone and just tapped into the trailer harness underneath. I also added a switch in the bed so I can turn them on/off whenever. Since these pics were taken, I've added factory GM wire clips to hold the wires up out of site. gallery_167112_4425_6313985.jpggallery_167112_4425_122778.jpggallery_167112_4425_8643538.jpggallery_167112_4425_10495667.jpg

So how’d you run the wiring? From the trailer harness to the switch then around the bed by the cab or did you split it after the switch to go to the other side? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Neallynein said:

So how’d you run the wiring? From the trailer harness to the switch then around the bed by the cab or did you split it after the switch to go to the other side? Thanks!

Each set of four lights were on their own string, so I ran the right side, looking into the bed, down behind the taillight and across the bottom underneath to the left side and made all my connections there. Then I just put the switch in place on the 12v side and that was it. In all, it probably took me about maybe an hour to install. 

• Like 2

On a 2018, anyone know where a always hot connection might be around the rear of truck?  I have my lights mounted.  The kit came with a switch and I currently have the positive side tapped into on of the rear running lights.  Since I already have a switch, it would be nice to begin the circuit with an always hot supply.

9 minutes ago, 2WRDR said:

On a 2018, anyone know where a always hot connection might be around the rear of truck?  I have my lights mounted.  The kit came with a switch and I currently have the positive side tapped into on of the rear running lights.  Since I already have a switch, it would be nice to begin the circuit with an always hot supply.

On earlier trucks there used to be a wire that went to the 7 way connector at the hitch that would be always hot once you hooked it up under the hood and added the fuse.  Might check into that?

mfennema, thanks for the tip.  On my 2018, the 7 pin trailer connector had an always hot 12VDC pin.  I tied that to the LED set of bed lighting I had installed and with the switch that came with the MICTUNING 2Pcs 60" White LED Cargo Truck Bed Light Strip  and this works great.  Being low current draw of LEDs I'm not too worried about a dead battery since this is my daily driver.  On the back of the truck next to the 7 pin trailer connector is a diagram if you look close.  That and a 12VDC troubleshooting light made it easy to find the positive 12V source.

On 3/24/2018 at 1:52 PM, cbrsilv15 said:

54d80b61dc66d7aef6a0c180fc426ddd.jpg

a17ba192b19b243929e2b1355e534d06.jpg

fb007299612dfb21bbdcfbd09afd8270.jpg

6c87547e3e4d66e5c5582b3ace72e13d.jpg

9454d67126dd1fe0a1e6a4b770125054.jpg

There’s a dummy plug on the box under the bed where the factory bed lights plug into. I made my own and just used some leds from amazon. Way brighter than the 2 that are oem. Plus $30 > $100+.

Sorry to quote you a year later, but I am wondering if I pull the OEM dummy plug, can I just drill 2 holes where the pos and neg are and then pass wires through there? Then seal those 2 slots with silicone or whatever you used? 

12 minutes ago, EpicLT said:

Sorry to quote you a year later, but I am wondering if I pull the OEM dummy plug, can I just drill 2 holes where the pos and neg are and then pass wires through there? Then seal those 2 slots with silicone or whatever you used? 

Exactly what I did. Just drill the hole large enough for the wire. Pass that through and then put the terminals on. I wanted a nice tight fit. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, cbrsilv15 said:

Exactly what I did. Just drill the hole large enough for the wire. Pass that through and then put the terminals on. I wanted a nice tight fit. 

Will I have the same terminals do you think in a 2018?

5 minutes ago, EpicLT said:

Will I have the same terminals do you think in a 2018?

No. 14-15 are different from the 16-18. Same concept, different pin locations on the plug. Just a different style plug. 

• 3 months later...

Sorry to bring this topic back but has anyone with a 16-18 built their own connector using the dummy plug? If so are there any pictures of the finished connector? I'm about to start the process and I'm not sure how the finished connector (specifically the inside) should look. Here is a picture of what I am starting with.

IMG_1996.JPG

• 9 months later...