Who likes their new 10 Speed Transmission

So who has the new 10 speed in their 2018 Yukon Denali or 2018 Escalade.

How do you like it?

Does it downshift better than my 8 speed and 6 speed?

let us know what you think!

I had a 2015 with the 8 speed and it had many issues, so I understand the complaints. But I bought a 2017 Denali 8 speed and it is flawless and greatly improved. Not one issue 10,000 miles so far. I figure the 10 speed will be awesome 2-3 years in. GM never hits it out of the park on year one....never. 

just returned from 3200 mile trip to Moab! I give the 10 speed a great review overall. It handled Vail pass and everything else easily. It downshifts almost instantly and you can control it with the throttle through 4 downshifts once you get the hang of it.. that is you can push more and get another gear then another then another.. I still use manual more than I should in the mountains and kept the rpm at about 3200-3500. No trailer, but full of stuff.

Only downside I can tell to date at 6K into it is it is a bit stiff when really cold and just starting out (as is the electric PS). But I really don't mind if this is a "characteristic" and not a sign of something bad. Cold mechanicals shouldn't work like warm ones and remind me to go easy. Seems to be a bit more fussy when cold of late. But I am really quite sensitive of this stuff. Seems like the 1-2 shift seems to throw it off some but it is almost imperceptible. 

The transmission has been completely perfect when warm. Really impressive.

Overall, I never had a 8sp, but the 10 is really impressive so far. I had a 6 sp Jeep GC prior, and a 4sp tahoe before that, not to mention the K5 with OD!

Run temps for trans are up to 180F to date in the mountains going about 80MPH up in cold rain / snow in 4WD H, no trailer. Run below 150 otherwise.

I drive really fast on the hwy, I am not bragging, I am admitting. With 4 bikes on the back.

Totals for the entire trip were 3200miles, 65mph ave, 18.9mpg ave. Temps were probably ave 40F. This includes mountains, even some 4WD low in moab where it did OK considering...

18.9mpg seems amazing to me considering these parameters. I mean in Utah, I was going 93mph on I80! (16mpg ave then).

This trip was the first of many and clearly confirmed to me that I made the right call buying this thing. Not to be political, but I read about the new Ford and Lincoln ecotechs with the same trans, and everyone writing that there is no competition for them...  I just cannot imagine wanting that setup... My GMC Yukon Denali is simply made for (western) road trips as I see it.

• Like 1

I'm glad to hear the 10 speed works well.  I'm NOT happy with my 8 speed.  Often after slowing down to make a sharp turn I've experienced very hard downshift when reapplying the throttle.  It bangs into a lower gear like an old 50's/60's era Hydro trans.  Dealer says it's normal due to CAFE standards.  Thank you EPA for giving me a 70+k car with a lousy trans.

I have had a 2015 8 speed, and 2016 6 speed and a 2017 6 speed.  All have had clunky gear changes, banging into lower gears at least a few times each time I drive them.  Several relearns etc. 

I am glad to hear some good reports of the 10 speeds.

• 1 month later...

I just traded my 2016 6 speed Tahoe LT for an RST with the 10-speed.

LOVE it. Was experiencing the same HARD downshift with tip-in as Havasubum on the 6-speed LT.

Was concerned that it was getting worse, so with 50K miles, I bit the bullet and got the 10-speed in the RST. 

Yes, it shifts a lot. Yes, there's a TINY bit of clunk on downshifting into the lower gears when tipping back in with the throttle, but I love it.

And the truck JUMPS!

Edited by ProCoach

• 11 months later...