Add remote keyless entry to 2018 Silverado 1500 Custom

I purchased a 2018 Silverado with the Custom trim package on Friday. The truck was not equipped with remote keyless entry but I was told by the sales staff, who consulted the service and parts departments, that I could add remote keyless entry to the truck for approximately $300. I scheduled an appointment to have remote keyless entry installed on the truck on Monday. I took the truck in today to have the remote keyless entry installed today and a few hours later, I received a call from the dealer informing me that the truck is not equipped with the proper equipment that would allow for the addition of key fobs/remote keyless entry. Can anyone shed some light on this?

https://www.google.com/search?q=add+keyless+entry+silverado+site:www.gm-trucks.com&prmd=svin&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjhk42Z5rDaAhUE7VMKHWEuBswQrQIoBDAAegQICBAJ&biw=834&bih=1073&dpr=2

From the little reading I’ve done on this it should be possible as long as you have TPMS which I’m sure a new Custom would. There is several threads on here about adding to the W/Ts. Since a custom is basically a LS and a LS is basically a W/T I’m assuming so. 

Edited by wforrest08
Add link

19 hours ago, wforrest08 said:

https://www.google.com/search?q=add+keyless+entry+silverado+site:www.gm-trucks.com&prmd=svin&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjhk42Z5rDaAhUE7VMKHWEuBswQrQIoBDAAegQICBAJ&biw=834&bih=1073&dpr=2

From the little reading I’ve done on this it should be possible as long as you have TPMS which I’m sure a new Custom would. There is several threads on here about adding to the W/Ts. Since a custom is basically a LS and a LS is basically a W/T I’m assuming so. 

I have explored the available threads related to the W/T models and other more basic models. Based on what I have read, it seems that this would be possible but the local Chevrolet dealer maintains that it is not possible even while using the kit that includes the hood latch and the wiring harness.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I know this thread is really old but I figured I'd let anyone else looking into this know, you dont actually need the dealership to do this. GM kept telling me I needed a kit and "code" from GM to activate it, but it's actually mostly BS. My dealership (Canada) told me it would be $450-$500 ($400 for kit and 1hr labour). Dorman, sells a kit that includes an OBD2 programmer, and you get an OEM fob with the kit. My truck was an 18 WT that only came with keys, but I do have TPMS and I think it uses the TPMS receiver to connect to the truck. All I had to do was plug the programmer into the OBD2 port, turn the ignition on, and "Keyless programming" popped up on the in dash display, then held the lock and unlock button for a few seconds, and it programmed to my truck and works great. Great range too, only tested it too about 100ft but worked first click, and fob is identical to the OEM. Kit was only $100 CAD, and anyone can do it if they can find an OBD port. Much cheaper than the $450 I was quoted at the dealer.

On 8/20/2019 at 6:34 AM, Black18WT said:

I know this thread is really old but I figured I'd let anyone else looking into this know, you dont actually need the dealership to do this. GM kept telling me I needed a kit and "code" from GM to activate it, but it's actually mostly BS. My dealership (Canada) told me it would be $450-$500 ($400 for kit and 1hr labour). Dorman, sells a kit that includes an OBD2 programmer, and you get an OEM fob with the kit. My truck was an 18 WT that only came with keys, but I do have TPMS and I think it uses the TPMS receiver to connect to the truck. All I had to do was plug the programmer into the OBD2 port, turn the ignition on, and "Keyless programming" popped up on the in dash display, then held the lock and unlock button for a few seconds, and it programmed to my truck and works great. Great range too, only tested it too about 100ft but worked first click, and fob is identical to the OEM. Kit was only $100 CAD, and anyone can do it if they can find an OBD port. Much cheaper than the $450 I was quoted at the dealer.

Hi I’m struggling here with my dealer (non USA) they say they can’t do it.

can you kindly list the tools required to do it and do I still need to contact GM for the code?

thanks