Powder coating rims?

Hey everyone,

I'm thinking about powder coating my '18 z71 rims black to look like the midnight edition wheels. Has anyone done this? Have any pics? How much does powder coating usually cost per wheel? Thank you all in advance for the replies!

Hey everyone,

I'm thinking about powder coating my '18 z71 rims black to look like the midnight edition wheels. Has anyone done this? Have any pics? How much does powder coating usually cost per wheel? Thank you all in advance for the replies!
There is a better way. It is a spray on coating. Paint but a enamel. Can't remember the name. But powder coats are not all created equal.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I powder coated the wheels on my previous vehicle and they lasted 8 years until I sold it.  Very durable but I agree not all brands are equal.  

Make sure you go with someone who uses a top end brand of powder coat.  Prices range, for my old 18" wheels I paid I believe $120/wheel for sandblasting then powder coating. 

I used Prismatic Black Chrome. 

Edited by ecrouch

• 1 year later...
I powder coated the wheels on my previous vehicle and they lasted 8 years until I sold it.  Very durable but I agree not all brands are equal.  

Make sure you go with someone who uses a top end brand of powder coat.  Prices range, for my old 18" wheels I paid I believe $120/wheel for sandblasting then powder coating. 

I used Prismatic Black Chrome. 
Do you have any pics of your black chrome wheels? I got a 16 CCSB and I love black chrome. Extremely curious how they came out...

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, VanguardK2 said:

Do you have any pics of your black chrome wheels? I got a 16 CCSB and I love black chrome. Extremely curious how they came out...

Here are a few pictures. Couldn’t find any great ones so these don’t do them justice. In the light they had a metallic gunmetal look that was deep. Much nicer than just a straight black chrome IMO.  

The picture of wheel itself is best picture just ignore the oil all over the wheel ... long story. 

6523EA88-F6CC-4AF4-9ABC-40EC466DFCBE.jpeg

ABC7293C-7DDD-4405-B2DA-2E4842008467.jpeg

6D31F582-F37D-4275-9820-8CAB98E3E916.jpeg

5960FA32-8A66-49F3-A210-6552EAB8AA17.jpeg

• Like 1

Hey thanks@ecrouch those do give me a good representation of how theyd look. I'm sure a good portion of the finished product is the wheel's surface to start (polished chrome or brushed finish). Thanks for the pics! I'll have to find some wheels I want to do this to!

8 minutes ago, VanguardK2 said:

Hey thanks@ecrouch those do give me a good representation of how theyd look. I'm sure a good portion of the finished product is the wheel's surface to start (polished chrome or brushed finish). Thanks for the pics! I'll have to find some wheels I want to do this to!

No problem! Glad to help sorry for bad pictures.

The color comes out awesome won’t be disappointed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got my Z71 18” rims powder coated last week. Here’s a couple of pics. Out the door with discount tire remounting and mounting the tire back on it was just under $400. I shopped around and couldn’t be happier. Totally worth it! b35e2e2c5d99549e9b1d5e5e901cd8f7.jpgb9983b2372bef086afede18c6c5baf93.jpg82e4610dd0d2615fa667c531d5e90281.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bhowatt said:

Got my Z71 18” rims powder coated last week. Here’s a couple of pics. Out the door with discount tire remounting and mounting the tire back on it was just under $400. I shopped around and couldn’t be happier. Totally worth it! b35e2e2c5d99549e9b1d5e5e901cd8f7.jpgb9983b2372bef086afede18c6c5baf93.jpg82e4610dd0d2615fa667c531d5e90281.jpg

They look great. How long was the process? 

They look great. How long was the process? 

Thanks! When I took them in they said 3-5 days. Called me on the 3rd day for pick up 

Sunday- removed wheels

Monday- took them in to discount tire to remove tires then dropped them off for powder coat

Wednesday- picked up wheels and took directly to discount tire to remount tires, took them home and mounted them back on the truck.

$70/wheel + $112 to dismount/remount/balance= $392 OTD

12 hours ago, bhowatt said:

Thanks! When I took them in they said 3-5 days. Called me on the 3rd day for pick up 

Sunday- removed wheels

Monday- took them in to discount tire to remove tires then dropped them off for powder coat

Wednesday- picked up wheels and took directly to discount tire to remount tires, took them home and mounted them back on the truck.

$70/wheel + $112 to dismount/remount/balance= $392 OTD

Great deal! I was getting quoted $300 per wheel at my only local powder coater and his turn around was about one to two weeks. 

Great deal! I was getting quoted $300 per wheel at my only local powder coater and his turn around was about one to two weeks. 

Damn! That’s crazy. I’m pretty sure the painter I went with was doing it under the table. He would only accept cash and there was no taxes [emoji23]. Maybe that’s what you need to find? I will say I have directly compared to others who have powder coated their wheels for a lot more and it looks the same if not better. Time will tell though. Keep looking! There are better prices out there.

Well you get what you pay for. Was detailing the inside of the truck tonight and when I got out of the cab I wanted to admire my new wheels. Low and behold there was a huge piece of paint missing! Upon further inspection I found multiple cracks in the coating. Decided to run my finger over the bare spot and realized that there was zero prepping done to the rim before the powder coating. There is still a gloss finish on the wheel itself! Needless to say I’m pissed.

81efba6262c427bcf742012b5db59a86.jpgede178a7c0762eb5eeb93214da55253a.jpg