Hello all,

New to the forum though I've been aggressively reading for a few weeks as a lurker.  I'm kind of in a quandary here and would appreciate a little advice.

A little back story...I've been driving a crossover for several years now as it was a necessary compromise when my truck kicked the bucket and we needed something which the crossover fit the bill.  

Anyway, now I'm looking for a truck again and a local Chevy dealer is running a sale on 2018 LT's for over $15k off the MSRP.  I've looked at a couple LT Z71's that interest me and I'd like to make the jump if it works for me.  

Now, without going into boring details, one example has an MSRP of around $50,500 with assorted options that I prefer.  With discounts, incentives and rebates, their advertised sale price on the website is $35K and change.  Seems like a pretty decent deal already, especially with the options that are on the vehicles.  Looking for a TMV on edmunds, it is around $47K for a true value.  I know the dealer is reducing their initial MSRP by an amount (I'm assuming it's supplemented by rebates they are keeping) and then passing that off as their price cut even though it probably does not cut into their bottom line.  From advertised/web prices, they are substantially lower that most other dealers though I believe the other dealers could probably match the same incentives and rebates and be beaten up to a similar price.

I guess what I'm asking is, even though the deal is pretty good already, is there any meat left on the bone that I can get while still being reasonable?  It has been a while since I've truly been in the car negotiating game and since everything is listed online, I'm a little lost as to how much room there really is.  Compound that with their aggressive sale and I just don't know what will be acceptable.  To me, an example is a fireworks stand on the 5th of July that is trying to unload everything they have at 50% off.  Sure, you could probably squeeze them for a little more but at some point do you just accept the generous deal and go from there?  They are obviously trying to move inventory but I'm wondering if negotiating for a better price would be better than perhaps looking for concession upgrades/add-ons.

I appreciate any input and advice.

I was in the same boat. They didn't budge when I tried, but mine was at $33,800 which is a damn good deal for a 4x4 so I took the deal. Can't hurt to try, worst they say is no, in which case you still get a great deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply.  I guess another question (which you answered) is just for affirmation that this is indeed a pretty good deal already.  Of course, I'd love a couple grand more off to offset some taxes or whatever but the deal already is within my budget.  I'm just the guy who will spend hours/days/weeks looking for the best deal if it can be had.

Sounds pretty reasonable to me. I bought during a 20% off period and feel like this is pretty similar.

One idea: they seem good on pricing, you may be able to ask them to throw in xyz accessory and you’ll sign right then. Probably nothing too expensive, but like you say, they’re already very competitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

30% discount from MSRP sounds a little fishy - but I'm not in the market so what do I know? Sometimes dealers advertise every incentive possible and you find you don't qualify for all of them (bait & switch) when things get serious. Contact every dealer in the area, provide general specs, and ask for a quote. Let them know you are ready to deal and just looking for who wants to sell. Always go for more in terms of price or accessories consideration. An advertised price is NEVER the best they can do.

5 hours ago, duquephart said:

30% discount from MSRP sounds a little fishy - but I'm not in the market so what do I know? Sometimes dealers advertise every incentive possible and you find you don't qualify for all of them (bait & switch) when things get serious. Contact every dealer in the area, provide general specs, and ask for a quote. Let them know you are ready to deal and just looking for who wants to sell. Always go for more in terms of price or accessories consideration. An advertised price is NEVER the best they can do.

Yeah, there are a lot of incentives and rebates but I've gone through them all and should qualify for all of them.  Just have to trade in an '08 or newer and finance with GM.  I've got credit union financing in place so even if I go with GM and it's a higher rate, I can just refinance.

And yeah, I know it's not the absolute best they can do.  I just don't know how much I can reasonably try to get off of the price since I've never dealt with sales like this.

Here is an example:

Capture.PNG

What dealership is that?  I might cruise by and check out inventory there myself!!!!!!! I did see where the are only doing this deal IF you trade in a 08 or newer vehicle so they may be putting the squeeze on the trade value to gain back on their side of the deal. This would be an awesome cash price for sure.  

Edited by Dnt
reworded for clarity

if I was in the market for a truck I would be all over that , and like mentioned before , ask and see what they say , you may be able to shake a little more out of them ,

I also have a question , I saw mentioned a few times in another thread that farm bureu members would receive a 500 discount , I saw where membership costs around 75 , would it be worth it to become a member to get a vehicle discount ?

a little off the truck topic but  I recently received a 2000 bonus on top of my 1000 current gm card points , and thinking of upgrading my 2 yr old Malibu , a local dealer is advertising prices 25% off and with the points its looking like I can be somewhere around 39 % off sticker,  cost of upgrade leaning around 3000 plus taxes and fees, they don't hand out 2000 very often and don't advertise 25% off sticker very often either   

Sorry for the late response.  It is McCarthy Chevrolet in Olathe, KS.  FWIW, they were staunch on the price.  Maybe I got a little more for my trade but their added fees basically erased that margin.  In the end, I got a nice truck for what I think was still a pretty good price.  If you are in the KC area, it's probably worth checking out as I think it runs until Monday. 

As a bonus, I actually found an LT Z71 that had the option of "bucket seats" with the full floor console instead of the jump seat.  Very happy that I don't have to source one of those consoles and do the swap myself.

On 5/8/2018 at 1:47 AM, duquephart said:

I won't buy generally if I don't get 30% or close to it.  My current HD was around the 30% mark and my personal best on a new truck was 39% from sticker.  You just have to search for a deal!