Soft or hard shell - its not a taco question

Anyone using soft shells for the truck bed? Thinking I might want one to protect goods from elements, but also easy access for loading motos. I was thinking a rack on top too for bicycles and kayaks. Can-backs are pur-rye-cee.

Hard shell is too much work for motos use.

Edited by Logroller

I’ve never seen a soft shell until this. That looks sweet! I’d be afraid to use one around my area, too many assholes trying to make a quick come up off someone else’s hard work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went with an undercover because of prior use of one. New design really needs two people to take off. On the flip side I know it will last longer. At least I hope. 

If you want a trifold I would look at a lomax. I really came close to getting it but went the other route. 

The soft covers tend to leak according to the couple people I’ve talked to that had one. I’m sure some are better than others

On 5/17/2018 at 10:37 PM, Fattyz28 said:

I went with an undercover because of prior use of one. New design really needs two people to take off. On the flip side I know it will last longer. At least I hope. 

If you want a trifold I would look at a lomax. I really came close to getting it but went the other route. 

The soft covers tend to leak according to the couple people I’ve talked to that had one. I’m sure some are better than others

Not really worried about leaking, just looking for some basic coverage from elements and keeping thieves away (by slowing them down a little ) from my stuff while in the bed while I turn my back for a moment. 

I thought about a tonneau, but was liking the extra height of the shells for vertical storage space. But then again, a tonneau provides zero visual obstruction unlike a shell. 

I like that the Lomax has a very low profile and is a no-drill install. 

These are a bit pricey and don't really like the box space taken up near the cab, but pretty secure it appears. 

Edited by Logroller

I can’t say enough good things about my Undercover Flex Ultra. Love the look and ease of getting to as much of my bed as I may need. 

4 hours ago, Resqu2 said:

I can’t say enough good things about my Undercover Flex Ultra. Love the look and ease of getting to as much of my bed as I may need. 

I was looking at those, but that price tag. 

I like the hard top tri fold of a tonneau. Just not sure if it's what I want for space use in the bed with the cover down. 

A friend has the Backflip hard top tri fold and really likes it. Pricey as well, but not as pricey as Undercover, look very similar. 

I wonder which is more secure from theives, Undercover or Backflip? Not a major concern of mine, but wondering which holds up better to break ins.

19 hours ago, Logroller said:

I was looking at those, but that price tag. 

I like the hard top tri fold of a tonneau. Just not sure if it's what I want for space use in the bed with the cover down. 

A friend has the Backflip hard top tri fold and really likes it. Pricey as well, but not as pricey as Undercover, look very similar. 

I wonder which is more secure from theives, Undercover or Backflip? Not a major concern of mine, but wondering which holds up better to break ins.

I think they'd be the same securing your items from theives.  I went with the Undercover Ultra Flex mainly for the warranty.  They offer a 5 year vs the 2 or 3 year other companies offer.  I've had no issue with mine either.

The last tri fold I bought was from the dealer. I was hard with a soft cover, never leaked. The one before that one was a roll up I bought used. The only complaint I had on that one was you needed gloves to unlock and roll it forward. It would get very hot. The one before that one was by mistake. They ordered a painted shell instead of a fiberglass bed cover. I got the shell, I like it. My truck looked like a SUV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Saw a dually long-bed going south on SR-14, this afternoon, looked like he had a hard-shell, until he was starting to go by me.  Best looking soft-shell I've ever seen.

• 2 months later...
On 5/21/2018 at 7:34 AM, shadrickjm said:

I think they'd be the same securing your items from theives.  I went with the Undercover Ultra Flex mainly for the warranty.  They offer a 5 year vs the 2 or 3 year other companies offer.  I've had no issue with mine either.

I know some have better anti-theft freatures than others and that primarily, I'm thinking, comes down the the release system. Some seem too easy to release with a coat bent hanger shoved between the topper and tailgate to pull the release cable.

Edited by Logroller
  • Like 1