Truck scanner for DIY'er

I'm looking to buy a reasonably priced car scanner to get fault codes and the such from my 2016 Silverado. I'm not doing this professionally so don't see the need in speeding thousands or hundreds on a scanner. 

I did find one on amazon for about $50 and by the reviews it seems pretty decent for my needs - https://www.amazon.com/ANCEL-AD310-Enhanced-Universal-Diagnostic/dp/B01G5EA74I/

What are your thoughts or recommendations?

That ones probably alright if your wanting something easy to use make sure you read the reviews l bought this one couple years ago (Black Friday deal) cause it also will read & clear ABS/SRS. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QIUGVI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I absolutely hate hate hate this F’n thing I’d replace it in a second but I hardly use it anymore so I deal with the aggravation and feelings of wanting to go “Office Space” on it every time I do. 

If I was going to replace it I’d be tempted to try something like one of these. There are several different ones ranging from 15 bucks to 100 plus https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00652G4TS/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B00652G4TS&pd_rd_wg=tIocn&pd_rd_r=MHHB0ESKC756TZ9MV4CJ&pd_rd_w=InYvZ

l like the idea of using my IPad since I usually look up the code online anyway with a check engine light and I like the idea of not being tethered to the vehicle while doing it or when I want to collect live data while driving. 

I got this one last winter:

https://smile.amazon.com/kungfuren-Scanner-diagnostic-Compatible-Connects/dp/B076Z83NZ2/ref=sr_1_9?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1526579436&sr=1-9&keywords=obd2+scanner+bluetooth

pretty cheap. it works with your phone. I got the Torque (lite) app. I was able to read and clear codes on my car, haven't had a code on my truck yet. but the device and app work. I would recommend.

5 hours ago, scott.moody.9401 said:

I have the Kiwi 2:

http://www.plxdevices.com/Kiwi-OBD-OBDII-Interface-Gauges-Scan-tool-Diagnostics-s/195.htm

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

I have the same one.  I use it with the Torque pro app on my phone and tablet.  It works great, but it can't do ABS and SRS codes.  I've been kicking around the idea of getting a good scan tool that can do all code types and live data.

On 5/17/2018 at 1:54 PM, aseibel said:

I got this one last winter:

https://smile.amazon.com/kungfuren-Scanner-diagnostic-Compatible-Connects/dp/B076Z83NZ2/ref=sr_1_9?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1526579436&sr=1-9&keywords=obd2+scanner+bluetooth

pretty cheap. it works with your phone. I got the Torque (lite) app. I was able to read and clear codes on my car, haven't had a code on my truck yet. but the device and app work. I would recommend.

Wow that's a pretty cheap setup. $20 for the bluetooth connection and android app is hard to beat. I'm just looking for something that will read and clear codes if needed.

Curious to what I would be gaining with the handheld scanner I linked above for twice the money.

I bought an OBDLink MX. It's not a cheap Chinese knockoff (costs around $80). It also supports multiple CAN buses without modification and switches. It works really well.

I had bluedriver and it worked well for reading/clearing codes, I would recommend it.  I also purchased a Ross Tech VCDS for my Audi, which allowed me to code certain things like turning on fog lights and turning lights, changing DRL illumination level, etc.  Is there something like that for GM vehicles?

19 minutes ago, Dr Awesome said:

Is there something like that for GM vehicles?

Nope GM is on “lock down” with these trucks. In fact GM now says even dealers “can’t” do/add options/features like on previous models unless “they” offer it as an accessory. The General says if you wanted it you should have bought it that way and if you still want it buy a new one with it. There are some work arounds depending on what you want to do and there are some guys like whiteaudioandmedia that can do some of what your talking about but it requires sending in your BCM and a couple bills to them to reprogram and send it back. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2018 at 5:29 PM, wforrest08 said:

Nope GM is on “lock down” with these trucks. In fact GM now says even dealers “can’t” do/add options/features like on previous models unless “they” offer it as an accessory. The General says if you wanted it you should have bought it that way and if you still want it buy a new one with it. There are some work arounds depending on what you want to do and there are some guys like whiteaudioandmedia that can do some of what your talking about but it requires sending in your BCM and a couple bills to them to reprogram and send it back. 

That is lame!  I'm sure Audi gets all kinds of cash from people bricking their ECU, so should GM!

9 hours ago, sage55 said:

Thanks for all the help guys. I just placed an order for the kungfuren OBD2 scanner today and purchased the Torque Pro app as well. 

Let us know how it works.  One thing I notice is that it's wifi, so you will not be able to be on the internet and connected to the car at the same time.  That can be inconvenient when looking up codes, but not terrible.  Also, and this might be an Android issue from a few years ago, but you might have to root your phone to make it work.  Do you know if that one reads SRS and ABS modules?

On 5/29/2018 at 8:34 PM, Dr Awesome said:

Let us know how it works. 

It didn't work. I could connect to the wifi, but not matter what software I tried to use on my android phone it wouldn't find the scanner.

Going back and looking at more reviews on amazon it seems this hardware has issues with the latest versions of android.

So I'm going to return the scanner and looking for something else. Probably a handheld unit like I was looking at before. That way it won't matter what phone I use or what version of android it's running.

3 hours ago, sage55 said:

It didn't work. I could connect to the wifi, but not matter what software I tried to use on my android phone it wouldn't find the scanner.

Going back and looking at more reviews on amazon it seems this hardware has issues with the latest versions of android.

So I'm going to return the scanner and looking for something else. Probably a handheld unit like I was looking at before. That way it won't matter what phone I use or what version of android it's running.

Torque does have options for wifi, but you have to be able to set the IP, gateway, and subnet mask manually, which your phone might not do.  The wifi adapter might have the instructions you need, but a bluetooth one would be better.  Bluedriver was good, it read ABS and airbag sensors, and was bluetooth so you don't lose your internet access.  It is more expensive, but pretty versatile.  I would have kept using it, but I got the plug-in one for my Audi so I could do long coding and sold it to offset the cost.