New 2018 GAS 2500 HD

Hello all. Just a newbie breakin in the forum :)    So here is my story then I'll ask some questions. First I mean no disrespect to any owner these are just my opinions.  ALWAYS have been a GM person. Last bunch of vehicles were escalades...2 of 3 were EXT models. Really like them but wanted to get back into camping and tow a camper rather than buy it and place it at a campground and not move it. So... I stop at the ford dealer (don't ask) find a new 2016 F150 Lariat loaded. Just filled with great amenities, diamond white /blk interior. I tell the salesman in the near future I will be towing a camper 6-7 K lbs.   NO PROBLEM he tells me  I check nothing...2nd mistake, 1st was stopping there. I take it home & love it. The full moon roof front to rear, change cab interior lights color, electric tailgate, shifter in the center, heated rear seats, monster room in the rear seat area, super user friendly dash, all the bells & whistles  ...just some of the reasons I liked it  Almost 18 months later I have 12 K on it and go buy a 26' trailer 6200 lbs dry. Guess what? can't tow it. It was like I was draggin a aircraft carrier. 5.0 litter engine is screaming and wont get out of 4th...sometimes its in 3rd on the highway doing 60-65mph. Equalizer bars on the unit and its still sagging 2  inches. Then I check...what a dummy 331 rear. Just didn't dawn on me when the dealer said no problem! Good-bye Ford hello Denali. Couldn't find Blk on Blk with Gas motor anywhere.. found one out in Illinois traded the Ford and drove it home. Love it so far and looking to add a Tonneau cover and a few other things. The center arm rest storage box is just that a BOX. need to find some after market trays or something. Its like putting your stuff in a shopping bag. No electric tailgate..missing that. Getting use the whole system and it seems a little stubborn with the voice command for GPS directions. Anyone else have an issue with it?  BTW...I heard Major changes with 1500 series tailgate for 2019, splits in half as a worktable. Good being in a GMC :)

• Like 1

Been there. I tow a rock buggy on a custom trailer that's about 6k lbs plus about 1k lbs in the bed of the truck on trips. Got rid of my 2008 GMC 2500 6.0 thinking it was way more truck than I really needed and tried a 2013 ecoboost. While the ecoboost super crew was nice  I found the temp gauge had a 30 degree dead spot programmed in and while towing up a hill the truck would hit 235+ and the gauge never moved. Oil pressure gauge is just a 7 psi switch. Had to repair something almost weekly. Only had that POS for 3 months and got back into a 2015 silverado 2500 6.0 truck and never regret it. I don't need to use the equalizer bars, I feel stable on the interstate at 85 mph, the gauges actually mean something (granted water temp runs about 210 on the dash but the scan tool indicates more like 195-200). I think the Fords are just dumbed down too much for the typical ford owner/driver......

Good choice on the replacement. 

Congrats on the new truck, hope you have good luck with it. I always hear people saying that they can tow 8 million lbs with their Tacoma or some other  small truck, and they're like, "don't even know it's back there", just the opposite of what's true. It's refreshing to hear a real world report that isn't boasting false claims about capabilities, and fuel economy that's ridiculous. When brand loyalty blinds the people that buy said brand just to stay "true", the horse shit that rolls out of their keyboards is astounding. It's like their trying to convince the whole world to drive their favorite make of automobile because they think it's better than ALL others, and then pile on these crazy ass claims. The 6.0 and 4.10 gear ratio will pull that trailer no problem, but the fuel milage is going to blow, but you'll be comfortable in the Denali interior. Good luck, keep us posted on results of trailering.

There are a couple of different addons available thru GM for the arm-rest bos.

https://accessories.gmc.com/product/2018/GMC/Sierra 2500 HD/front-center-console-tray-organizer-in-black-22817343?categoryId=12001

There are videos out there the new tailgate introduced for the 2019 1500 at the Detroit auto show January 2018. 

Presumably it will be available on 2020 HD's, but I'm not aware of that being announced.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on the new truck! I  drove a King Ranch, twin turbo. Nice truck. Drove the SLT 6.2 max trailer. Nice truck. Ordered a 2018 Denali 2500HD, 6.0. I LOVE this truck!

IMG_1116.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well here is an Update on the towing. It tows just fine what I am guessing is around 6500, do I know its back there?? Yes we all know when we are towing. So the statement "don't know its back there " only exists when its a pop up or smaller IMO. Gas mileage...the worst 7.4 mpg  not towing its about 15 mpg .

Now that I'm back in a GMC and sold the F150  that couldn't tow squat I will say this in Fords defense. Their amenities are better (at least the things I like) such as ..I miss the full sun roof from front to rear, electric tailgate, 4 cameras (front camera for pull in parking to curb was great), exterior lights when getting out was extremely bright. Yes I know I have the lights on the mirrors but they point back not down. Bigger back seat but that is because they have a shorter bed. No question the Ford with the 5.0 with the 331 rear was faster... out of everything I wish the GMC 2500 Denali was faster (yes I know how heavy it is) So heavy in the state of NY you need commercial plates. Last thing I like the shifter in the console with the shifting ability on your thumb. I love the Denali and not going back to Ford just voicing what I liked about the other truck, but heck its all NG if you can't tow.

Just a FYI  if you are buying a Tonneau cover get one that you can close the tailgate without lifting the cover first. Wish I didn't get the G2 $900 and I don't like it for that one reason 

So if someone has ideas on more speed off the line please let me know or any other ideas please let me know. I'll put my first coat of wax on her and get a pic posted

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:58 PM, hatman74 said:

Congrats on the new truck! I  drove a King Ranch, twin turbo. Nice truck. Drove the SLT 6.2 max trailer. Nice truck. Ordered a 2018 Denali 2500HD, 6.0. I LOVE this truck!

IMG_1116.JPG

Same truck mine is Black on Black

On 2018-07-12 at 8:30 AM, OutdoorNY said:

Well here is an Update on the towing. It tows just fine what I am guessing is around 6500, do I know its back there?? Yes we all know when we are towing. So the statement "don't know its back there " only exists when its a pop up or smaller IMO. Gas mileage...the worst 7.4 mpg  not towing its about 15 mpg .

Now that I'm back in a GMC and sold the F150  that couldn't tow squat I will say this in Fords defense. Their amenities are better (at least the things I like) such as ..I miss the full sun roof from front to rear, electric tailgate, 4 cameras (front camera for pull in parking to curb was great), exterior lights when getting out was extremely bright. Yes I know I have the lights on the mirrors but they point back not down. Bigger back seat but that is because they have a shorter bed. No question the Ford with the 5.0 with the 331 rear was faster... out of everything I wish the GMC 2500 Denali was faster (yes I know how heavy it is) So heavy in the state of NY you need commercial plates. Last thing I like the shifter in the console with the shifting ability on your thumb. I love the Denali and not going back to Ford just voicing what I liked about the other truck, but heck its all NG if you can't tow.

Just a FYI  if you are buying a Tonneau cover get one that you can close the tailgate without lifting the cover first. Wish I didn't get the G2 $900 and I don't like it for that one reason 

So if someone has ideas on more speed off the line please let me know or any other ideas please let me know. I'll put my first coat of wax on her and get a pic posted

Not sure of the model but the Bak Flip tri fold (hard) that bro & I got for our HDs latch under the box sides, not on a tailgate brkt.

19 hours ago, revrnd said:

Not sure of the model but the Bak Flip tri fold (hard) that bro & I got for our HDs latch under the box sides, not on a tailgate brkt.

It's an MX4