Radio changing channels and screens

On 6/20/2021 at 10:15 PM, Ed Dyer said:

My 2017 Silverado 1500 has been doing roughly the same thing for the last three or four months I have took my truck to the dealer had the radio replaced along with the screen also had a hard restart done to the electrical system and I still have the same problem. Just took it to another Chevy dealer and they found that my shark fin was malfunctioning causing my GPS to not work with OnStar along with the fact my HMI unit needed an upgrade. The HMI unit had not been upgraded since the day it was put into the truck from 2016. So almost guarantee you need to have an HMI upgrade and maybe the Shark Fin replaced to fix your truck. Mine has now been working great for a week since I got my HMI update and the Shark Fin replaced.

I am now on the 2nd HMI unit and still having an issue. The first one was a reman unit, old 2.0 version, poor purchase on my part. But I Just replaced and upgraded the HMI unit and Radio unit with brand new parts from Infotainment.com to have navi and apple CarPlay and it’s still acting up after 2 days so I’ll see what’s next… issues don’t make sense based on the system wiring and component diagram.

15 minutes ago, CARGUY1280 said:

I am now on the 2nd HMI unit and still having an issue. The first one was a reman unit, old 2.0 version, poor purchase on my part. But I Just replaced and upgraded the HMI unit and Radio unit with brand new parts from Infotainment.com to have navi and apple CarPlay and it’s still acting up after 2 days so I’ll see what’s next… issues don’t make sense based on the system wiring and component diagram.

You have to do the software update on the HMI unit. You do not need to replace the HMI unit you just need to update the software which Hass to be done by the dealer.

• Like 1

Could the key FOB be causing the issue since the security portion is also going through the info system?  I replaced the battery because the range of the FOB decreased tremendously.  My display started acting up roughly the same time but I did not put 2 & 2 and associate the problems with one another. When I replaced the FOB 2032 battery the problems went away.  I replaced the battery about 8-10 months ago and now the info system is starting to act up again.  You can hear a clicking noise then the screen will changed intermittently.  I'm not sure how old the battery was when I put it in the FOB but it could be getting weak again. Anybody else having an issue with the FOB and the info system at the same time?

This Just in!!!!!

A month ago, I went to another local dealer out in the boonies and I explained my situation to the Service Manager.  He was well aware of the problem with the Chevy Truck radio screens and he confirmed that it was about $1K to repair it.  

When I explained to him that I had this problem fixed under warranty two years earlier and now that national dealer wouldn't give me the time of day except to say "$130 to look at it and $1K to fix it" he scoffed and said that he would diagnose it for free.  So, I left him the truck.

The next day he called me and said that indeed the screen was pooched and he told me that he would turn it in under warranty, which had expired over 20,000 miles ago.  Then he said "how does a $50 deductible sound?"

So, he fixed it for 50 bucks and so far, it works great!!!!!

Anyone want to hazard a guess where I'm gonna be taking my vehicles for maintenance in the future?

• Like 1

On 9/2/2021 at 2:17 PM, JimCost2014 said:

The Chevy trucks have had audio controls on the steering wheel since 2003. I can control most all radio functions from the steering wheel in my 18 LTZ.

Being a "distracted driver" is always going to be the persons fault driving the truck, no one forced you to turn on the radio, think I just won the case against your lawyer.

See the source imageSee the source image

Hmmmm, didn't have to turn the raido on, eh?  I'm gonna stick with what my lawyer buddy says in that if a manufacturer's defect causes the driver to look away from the road, the manufacturer plays a part in the "distracted driving."  The fact that my info center that shows my MPH switches on and off on my dash and that the radio makes phone calls on it's own would distract any driver.  It would make an interesting court case that I'm glad that I'm not involved in.

It's a moot point now since another dealer fixed the problem.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well OK. I changed my shark fin antenna a couple of weeks ago and today I took my truck to my local dealer for a HMI update.

The HMI was updated with no improvement to the radio. Its still changing channels on its own and the other craziness its been doing for two years now. Ed I'm glad your radio corrected itself with this plan, but it didn't help mine! The good thing about today, dealer didn't charge me since it didn't fix it.

• Confused 1

IMHO

It’s a tough call to replace the radio to try for a fix. 

I am curious if anyone has taken this issue to GM?

It’s frustrating to buy parts & not knowing if it will correct the issue. 

My truck is very sporadic with the jumpy screen. The last month or so has been no issues. But prior it was jumping all over the place. 

All I have done to date is replace the shark fin and upgraded the map software. 

following closely 

Regards

I've got a 2018 Silverado and mine started doing this at just over 40k miles!  Of course it's over 3 years and 36k miles so no warranty for me.  Has anyone found a fix for this yet?  It's the most irritating thing in the world to hear the buttons clicking, changing songs, putting phone calls on hold, etc, etc.  I'm not about to pay over $1k to have this fixed when it seems to me it is a known issue throughout the GM community.  I doubt there would be a recall on it because it is not considered a safety issue, right?!

• 3 weeks later...

My 2016 Silverado 2500HD has been experiencing this problem for the past couple months.  I recently moved from NV to MS, so dry to wet climate.  I figured it had something to do with water.

I just got off the phone with the service manager at Classic Chevrolet in Grapevine, TX, one of the biggest, highest volume dealerships in the US.  He knew about this problem and the solution.  It is the shark fin antenna water intrusion.  The antenna must be replaced and HMI update.  Total cost is about $400.  Unfortunately, GM has not recognized this as a design defect yet, so they have not extended coverage for the repair.

On 12/20/2021 at 6:01 PM, beerums said:

I've got a 2018 Silverado and mine started doing this at just over 40k miles!  Of course it's over 3 years and 36k miles so no warranty for me.  Has anyone found a fix for this yet?  It's the most irritating thing in the world to hear the buttons clicking, changing songs, putting phone calls on hold, etc, etc.  I'm not about to pay over $1k to have this fixed when it seems to me it is a known issue throughout the GM community.  I doubt there would be a recall on it because it is not considered a safety issue, right?!

There is a Technical Service Bulletin regarding the issue, https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2017/MC-10139131-9999.pdf.

Unfortunately, no extended coverage for repair.  It is out of your pocket.  Total repair should be about $400.

• 2 weeks later...

There is another potential solution.  I was speaking with a tech at Classic Chevrolet in Grapevine, TX.  It could be the controls on the steering wheel and/or the harness that runs down the steering column.  I got a quote of $600 plus tax to replace both.  I think I will wait until GM figures out what the actual problem is.  They might extend the warranty as so many people are experiencing the problem and everybody is throwing money at it trying to figure out what the fix is.

$600 seems like a great value for a wheel & harness & labor??

Still unsure if that is the full fix.

I did see one other post talking about a short in the steering wheel.

Following closely

2017 Tahoe.  Been doing this intermittently for a year or so.  I disconnected the blue connector from screen to HMI unit, place some dielectric grease on it and reconnect it.   It works well for a while (several days), then starts doing it again.   This is not the screen, as there are times that it will work.  I don’t know how to fix the connector issue.   

• 2 weeks later...

Found this as a possible fix on another thread

On 1/25/2022 at 2:47 PM, Col gmc said:

Well after 2 years of problems with the 8"touch screen on my 2017 gmc Sierra I have finally fixed it🤞  it would randomly change stations and flick icons as if you were touching the screen, hours of investigating poor earth's and low voltage as suggested on various forums but to no avail,  my truck is a personal import into the UK so no dealer back up here I decided to remove the screen  and disconnect the touch digitizer from the screen by unplugging the brown ribbon cable  put the screen back in the truck and everything worked OK, obviously the touch doesn't but I could use the buttons below to navigate the screen and radio icons so all functions now worked without any problems,  after driving for a few weeks with no problems I was confident that the touch digitizer was the cause of the original problem, ordered a new one from China as GM buy them from there just $239 plus shipping  for the screen and digitizer as I didn't fancy trying to remove the digitizer off the original screen, a week later it arrived now installed and working perfectly 😀 Thought I would share this as I didn't think it would be such a cheap fix,1723329220_Screenshot_20220125-192258_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.99737cc6b42db9f9ce15ea21ea60f3fa.jpg