Radio changing channels and screens

My radio has started changing channels randomly, changing screens, changing from media to a preset station. Two days ago I got in the truck and the radio started playing before I put the key in the ignition. I have about 46k miles in less than 2 years. Last night it was changing stations about every 3 minutes. Today the message about keeping your eyes on the road and not the radio came on and wouldn't go away, like the screen was frozen. Turning the truck off and opening the door then restarting the truck wouldn't clear it. 

Sounds like the touch screen is going bad, maybe randomly responding to phantom touches and now not responding at all. Do you have a screen protector on it? How hot does it get in your area? If you can eventually get past that warning message, navigate to a screen that doesn't have the presents at the bottom such as the phone screen and see if it continues to change stations. If it doesn't change stations and goes to your contacts or voicemail (any of the buttons at the bottom row that replace the presents) then it's definitely the screen's digitizer going bad.

Edited by ChristopherDB

• 1 year later...
On 6/23/2018 at 10:41 PM, ChristopherDB said:

Sounds like the touch screen is going bad, maybe randomly responding to phantom touches and now not responding at all. Do you have a screen protector on it? How hot does it get in your area? If you can eventually get past that warning message, navigate to a screen that doesn't have the presents at the bottom such as the phone screen and see if it continues to change stations. If it doesn't change stations and goes to your contacts or voicemail (any of the buttons at the bottom row that replace the presents) then it's definitely the screen's digitizer going bad.

Im having same issue but also my driver info screen changes to audio on its own as well..is this also the digitizer?..if so then how do i fix it?..please.its driving me nuts

• 4 weeks later...

Almost exactly the same issue. I live in South Texas, Out of the blue started to roll through all the screens, highlighting various stations with a white box. It would pull some menus into to others, scroll to the apps screen, roll to the warning screens, the one that really fried my bacon was when it started changing stations in mid song, conversation.  Oh yeah, wouldnt start until about 10 to 15 minutes into the trip, so when took it to dealer, they looked at me like a space alien....................................Silverado HD 20017 HD, bought new, but drove the crap out it and now have 40,000 + miles on it.......So far the Dealership has said that are familar w/problem, and replaced screen? No sooner then got it back.   10 to 15 into drive........TaDah........Started again....I am very frustrated..........Im thinking replace the computing unit? Have already spent 800....Is there a better way.. Warranty expired....It is looking bleak. One more try then Im going off the grid... 

• 2 months later...

My 2016 I bought new started doing this about a week ago. Changing stations over and over. Then it started making phone calls to the last people I talked to had to turn Bluetooth off on my cell phone. This truck needs an excorcist! I love this truck but can't handle this. Please advise me on the real fix. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

My 2019 Acadia and its having the same problem. Thankfully it’s still under warranty, but I’ve only had the car for less then 3 weeks. Took it to the dealer and they said they replaced the whole unit which included the radio and the touch and did software update. Not 20 mins after driving it started up even worst now. Anyone have any luck? I’m about ready to claim lemon law and request they take it back. This to me seems like a bigger problem than not just having music. These newer cars are all computer driven and if im having problems with the radio, that I consider to be the hub of the car, then what else is wrong with the car? Has anyone found a fix for this yet?

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2016 GMC Sierra with the touchscreen radio (no steering wheel controls).  So far, radio display frequently changes to stored station and favorite station screens.  Have had one episode of random station changing.  Has not occurred again.  Occasionally, radio display unit does not function (entire unit inop: blank screen, button pressing does nothing, rear camera inoperative). After being parked for a day or more, normal operation resumes except random screen display changes. I have not contacted the dealer. Am guessing GM does not want to own this one.

I have a 2020 sierra. The problem I am having is the camer!cid_D0937BBA-A8F7-419E-AEED-6569A425C069.thumb.jpg.ecb38182e9d1bb7dc3a596514990e2a6.jpga doesnt work sometimes. this is what it shows. yesterday I started my truck and had no sound switched to Bluetooth, radio, siruis nothing so I pulled over shut it off opened door and restarted radio worked fine. then camera didn't work. Well I have been to the dealership about this issue before they said it has to be doing it when they look at it. So I drove it right up to the dealership. So the serviceman I talked to wasn't there, explained it to the service woman that the other serviceman told me to leave it running so the service tech can do what he needs to do . Well she said she couldn't get it in right away took it outside and shut it off. Well guess what it is working now. Left it there got a loaner. Hopefully it will do it while they have it. Has 1500 miles on it . 

• 5 months later...

I’m having the same issue. I have a 2018 Silverado. About 1.5 months ago mine acted up for about a week. The radio stations would constantly change on the touchscreen. The display in the dash was changing from info to radio setting at the same time. It stopped acting up until the other day when it started again. I checked the plugs behind the glove box for the hmi module yesterday Those were good. Still acted up today. If anyone figures this out please help. 

Well does anyone have a solution to the touch screen crazy disorder?  I see where some have replace screen with no results, has anyone found another solution?  Mine is a 2016 2500HD and it started strangely at 50,000 miles, almost as thought it was programmed to do so....

Looking for a helping hand with solution, thank you! NorrisK

The research if been doing the digitizer in the touchscreen could be going bad or the control unit which I believe is attached to the back of the touchscreen but not for sure. Yesterday on my way home from work I didn’t touch the screen at all and kept it on the home page and only Bluetooth connected. It barely twitched for a few minutes after driving thirty minutes like it was going to change pages but it never did. I want to try and check the touchscreen connections this weekend. The one thing I don’t understand is why mine acted up a month and half ago for a week then worked perfectly fine until last week. 

• 1 month later...

I was having problems similar to everyone else.  The screen would scroll through radio stations, mute phone calls and other wierd things.  I bought a used screen off of eBay. The second screen did the same as the first, not much was different.  It would do it every time, after driving for at least an hour.  I just bought this truck, used, 2017 2500.  I noticed from the day I bought it that the starter would drag a little when starting and the voltmeter on the dash only showed about 12 volts while running.  I checked the battery one night and found the ground cable was loose on the battery.  I tried to wiggle it and it came off with no effort.  After tightening it, the starter doesn't drag. It starts right up and is charging just under 14 volts.  After two days of driving it for work (400+ miles), the radio hasn't acted up. I'm calling it fixed.  Wish I'd done that before spending $160 on the screen.  

• Thanks 1