Radio changing channels and screens

16 minutes ago, John4850 said:

Jim, 

Can you send me a pic of a truck with "steering wheel controls?"  Does your truck have such controls? 😬

As I just replied to another on the thread: "I spoke to a lawyer this morning that I was playing golf with and he would differ with you since Chevy knows that the problem exists and it does "distract the driver."  The flawed logic that you don't have to reach for the radio while driving is just that, flawed.

He suggested that I look for a class-action attorney and start searching the internet to see if I can find any info on it being the cause of an accident."

The Chevy trucks have had audio controls on the steering wheel since 2003. I can control most all radio functions from the steering wheel in my 18 LTZ.

Being a "distracted driver" is always going to be the persons fault driving the truck, no one forced you to turn on the radio, think I just won the case against your lawyer.

See the source imageSee the source image

Edited by JimCost2014
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's been about 30 days since my last post in this thread on this issue of a jumpy screen. I had drove about 200 miles after shark fin install and it continued to jump around on that trip.  BUT HAS NOT SINCE THEN ~ maybe self corrected or dried to a point of making good contacts/signals.

My issue has disappeared ~ no more possessed map jumping screen. It must have been the soggy shark fin for my case.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to share with everyone that there is apparently a class action lawsuit related to this.  I found it while searching for information on the same issue this morning.  

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/consumer-products/auto-news/1013895-class-action-lawsuit-alleging-dangerous-gm-radio-volume-spike-can-proceed-judge-rules/

Jason

• 1 month later...
On 7/26/2021 at 4:03 PM, Carlosepi said:

Any lawyers here. My 2015 GMC 3500 Denali started doing this after 70k miles. Why are we all having same problem….Should Chevrolet/GMC do a recall and fix the problem for good…

does anyone know if this proble would affect the safely operation of the vehicle?!!

Not an attorney, but married to a die-hard Chevy man. I have struggled for years to get him stop with the Chevrolet/General Motors quality issues, to no avail. Our 2015 Silverado started the electronic roulette last week, 67000 miles. Now, in addition to the screens changing randomly, we now have Sweet Sue from OnStar, repeatedly asking for information to assist us, number please, etc. As far as safety is concerned, is there a connection between the information system and emergency response notice and location of the vehicle? Also true for location of vehicle if stolen?

Hey guys, my 2017 Silverado 1500 LT was doing exactly the same problem that everybody else on here has been talking about where the Radio starts jumping, the main screen freezes up, it’ll make phone calls all on its own without being prompted, Basically acting like it’s totally possessed. Once you get to the dealer you will have to have them do an HMI update and possibly replace with a shark fin. According to OnStar and GM, if the shark fin is not replaced that’s what’s causing the radio to act possessed and the HMI update needs to be completed so that way the computer recognizes the radio and the shark fin to your vehicle Vin number. Most of the dealers for some reason I’ve never heard of this problem. Most dealers will do what they call a hard reset, which is nothing more than disconnecting the negative terminal from the battery waiting 10 minutes and then reconnecting it. That’s why I stress you have to get them to do the recent HMI update. I personally ran into this problem with two different dealers. Once I had the shark fin replaced in the HMI update done I have not had one single problem with my radio, satellite GPS positioning, OnStar, or my phone individualphone calls or Apple CarPlay or Android play either. In fact, the dealer that did the replacements and the HMI update wrote me out a receipt and I took it back to the original dealer and got my money back for The labor and the parts. Good luck to everyone hope this helps my radio has been working like brand new straight from the factory ever since this was completed.

•  

Ditto to everyone else’s complaints. Multiply it by almost 2 yrs now. Started out randomly as time went on it got worse and worse. Now my balance button is stuck on right side only so I can’t use all my speakers. 2018 1500 LT Z71. It’s out of warranty so the dealer offered to find the issue but I’ll have to pay for them to look. I spent $50,000 on a truck from who I thought was a good truck manufacturer. I’m thinking after being a Chevy girl all my life might need to rethink this. If chevys not willing to fix the problem. I may have to try to find a Ford or dodge. Something’s gotta be better than this. #hauntedradio #endofrope

Edited by Kimmie Poo

Finally removed and replaced my shark fin antenna. The picture attached shows a large amount of white electrode type corrosion covering the forward ground plain of the antenna (left side of the picture) and also attached to the paint where it set. There was no way for that ground plain to conduct any type of ground. you can also see more corrosion located on the lower right side of the antenna in the picture. After one trip in the truck, for approximately 30 minutes of driving i saw no changing menus, channels, scrolling station list, or the gauge info screen changing to radio display. Keeping my fingers crossed, its fixed.

picture.png

• Thanks 1

UPDATE! even though my shark fin antenna replacement didnt fix the problem. The truck is  changing menus, channels, scrolling station list, and the gauge info screen is changing to radio display again.

Dash! i have not done the HMI upgrade!  Is that my next option??? who knows. This is so depressing. A Great truck but no radio.  

5 hours ago, Dash483 said:

@Bert did you have to get the HMI?

@Ed do you know a cost estimate for the dealer to do the HMI update?

42 minutes ago, Bert Zeller said:

UPDATE! even though my shark fin antenna replacement didnt fix the problem. The truck is  changing menus, channels, scrolling station list, and the gauge info screen is changing to radio display again.

Dash! i have not done the HMI upgrade!  Is that my next option??? who knows. This is so depressing. A Great truck but no radio.  

Dash483 & Bert, after replacing the Shark Fin you MUST get the HMI Update in order to complete the fix. The HMI Update is done at the dealer and only cost $125. Once that is done you’ll have to contact Onstar for them to reactive and SiriusXM to update if your using them. Once that’s done you should not have anymore issues 

• Like 1

On 11/18/2021 at 1:16 PM, Ed Dyer said:

HMI update needs to be completed so that way the computer recognizes the radio and the shark fin to your vehicle Vin number.

2 minutes ago, Ed Dyer said:

Dash483 & Bert, after replacing the Shark Fin you MUST get the HMI Update in order to complete the fix. The HMI Update is done at the dealer and only cost $125. Once that is done you’ll have to contact Onstar for them to reactive and SiriusXM to update if your using them. Once that’s done you should not have anymore issues 

Thanks Ed. Bert I am have the same issue. Its gotten worse in the past week. I have a 2015 Silverado 1500 I haven't done anything yet. Do you have the part number for the antenna. There was one posted earlier but it did show it was compatible with my truck. I have the IO5 radio not sure it the antenna would be different.

2 minutes ago, Dash483 said:

Thanks Ed. Bert I am have the same issue. Its gotten worse in the past week. I have a 2015 Silverado 1500 I haven't done anything yet. Do you have the part number for the antenna. There was one posted earlier but it did show it was compatible with my truck. I have the IO5 radio not sure it the antenna would be different.

I’m unsure on the part number, I’ll have to check my paperwork it’s out in the truck. I had mine replaced on a 2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 and I haven’t had any problems with it. I do know it takes the shark fin and the HMI to be replaced and updated at the same time because the HMI you need to have the software compatible with the shark fin. If it’s not updated on the HMI the software will not recognize the new shark fin and you’re still keep getting the same problems over and over and over again. I took my truck to 2 different dealers before somebody finally realized what was going on. Prior to this update on the HMI mine was stock from 2016. The software that I had on my radio/HMI computer unit was all from 2016 so when they replaced the shark fin nothing worked without the HMI update in the new software bundle it will not work. It Hass to be matched to your Vin number. I’ll check my paperwork in the morning and re-post to see if it’s anything close to what your I05 is.

• Like 1