Radio changing channels and screens

I found a shark fin on Amazon for $58 (GM part #84346800) 2015 Sierra CC 4x4  77,700 miles

It arrives tomorrow

I gained access to the old fin with minimal effort. I found a couple YouTube videos on how to access & replace the fin that helped a lot.

Dealer wanted $140 for the fin and $125 plus to install

With the saved $$ on labor I will order the needed update from OnStar 

I will update this thread with the outcome

Edited by Wyatt1963
update
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Wyatt1963 said:

I found a shark fin on Amazon for $58 (GM part #84346800) 2015 Sierra CC 4x4  77,700 miles

It arrives tomorrow

I gained access to the old fin with minimal effort. I found a couple YouTube videos on how to access & replace the fin that helped a lot.

Dealer wanted $140 for the fin and $125 plus to install

With the saved $$ on labor I will order the needed update from OnStar 

I will update this thread with the outcome

There is a new member, @Amy H, that has just replaced her Shark Fin.

Can you give more details on what exactly you will be doing (update) to make it work, so she can get hers fixed too?

• Like 1

update

Shark fin is installed. 

This was really a plug and play. After installation I ran the truck around the block so it could recalibrate.

It appears to be working fine but the real test will be driving the truck over the next week to see if the screen jumps around. My fingers are crossed.

In addition, I will be ordering the updated version for the navigation but I am not convinced it is needed to correct the jumping screen. If jumping screen is corrected by replacing the fin I will wait for the $99 sale for the nav update. LOL

Note; I did notice some rust on the screws on the old fin so obviously moisture is a concern for proper function.

I did apply some silicone on the inner rubber ring and outer rim for the new fin install to help keep the water out.

• Like 1

I had the same problem in my 2018 Sierra. Couldn’t find a clear solution online, so I took it into the dealership. They said it was some kind of short in the steering wheel controls. I didn’t quite understand how that could be it, but it was under warranty and they replaced the entire steering wheel. That was a week ago and it is working perfectly now.

That isn’t to say a new steering wheel will fix your issue, but it looks like it can be caused by an electrical short a bunch of different places in the system. So take it to a qualified mechanic and let them figure out where it is. I just wouldn’t want people buying new touchscreens, HMIs, steering wheels, or whatever throwing darts at the board until something hits based on what worked for someone else.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update to my previous post regarding shark fin;

I drove the truck about 200 miles to SW Florida and the damn screen jumped all over the place. 😬

I have checked all the grounds that I can access. I really was optimistic that the fin was the culprit

Next stop will be the dealer

On 8/25/2021 at 11:18 AM, Wyatt1963 said:

Update to my previous post regarding shark fin;

I drove the truck about 200 miles to SW Florida and the damn screen jumped all over the place. 😬

I have checked all the grounds that I can access. I really was optimistic that the fin was the culprit

Next stop will be the dealer

I bought a brand new 2017 Z71 in June of 2017.  The radio started doing all of the problems that I've seen on this thread.  I took it to the dealer in July of 2019 and they said that they had never seen this problem and they even checked with whatever GM tech people they have as a resource at the national level and they said that the problem was an anomaly.

So, after 3 visits to the dealer, they replaced the radio and the control unit.  Six months later the problem started, but intermittently, so I sluffed it off.  Now the radio is acting like it is posessed.  It changes channels on it's own, the touchscreen freezes, it goes to the homescreen and it has even made some phone calls with no prompting by me.

Today, I took it back to the same dealer and told them the history on my vehicle and they told me that it is now out of warranty and basically tough luck and that for $1,000 they will fix it.

After I laughed my butt off, I told them that they didn't really fix it the first time and that I wanted it fixed for free.  He told me that he couldn't and that I should contact GM Customer Service and see what they might be able to do.

The dealer also told me that they fix several radios a week and that it is a common problem.

I have three questions:

1.  Has anyone called GM Customer Service and had any results on this issue?

2. Why isn't there a recall on this issue since it appears that anyone getting into an accident would have grounds to sue GM since they know it can cause a "distracted driving" issue?

3.  Has anyone had a lawyer get involved?

I bought a brand new 2017 Z71 in June of 2017.  The radio started doing all of the problems that I've seen on this thread.  I took it to the dealer in July of 2019 and they said that they had never seen this problem and they even checked with whatever GM tech people they have as a resource at the national level and they said that the problem was an anomaly.

So, after 3 visits to the dealer, they replaced the radio and the control unit.  Six months later the problem started, but intermittently, so I sluffed it off.  Now the radio is acting like it is posessed.  It changes channels on it's own, the touchscreen freezes, it goes to the homescreen and it has even made some phone calls with no prompting by me.

Today, I took it back to the same dealer and told them the history on my vehicle and they told me that it is now out of warranty and basically tough luck and that for $1,000 they will fix it.

After I laughed my butt off, I told them that they didn't really fix it the first time and that I wanted it fixed for free.  He told me that he couldn't and that I should contact GM Customer Service and see what they might be able to do.

The dealer also told me that they fix several radios a week and that it is a common problem.

I have three questions:

1.  Has anyone called GM Customer Service and had any results on this issue?

2. Why isn't there a recall on this issue since it appears that anyone getting into an accident would have grounds to sue GM since they know it can cause a "distracted driving" issue?

3.  Has anyone had a lawyer get involved?

After waiting almost an hour on hold, I spoke to a GM Customer Service representative.  He told me that he hasn't heard of the radio problem, but that he has only been working for one year.

He took my VIN, looked up what has already been done and has elevated my problem.  He said that I will get a call within 48 hrs with a decision on whether or not GM will pay for a full repair or partial.

I told him that it is a "distracted driver safety issue" and that if need be, my attorney will send them a letter to put it on record for when I end up in a head-on because I'm trying to get back to the channel I was listening to.

developing.........

3 hours ago, John4850 said:

I told him that it is a "distracted driver safety issue" and that if need be, my attorney will send them a letter to put it on record for when I end up in a head-on because I'm trying to get back to the channel I was listening to.

I doubt that will hold any water.
As a driver, you are responsible for the control of your vehicle regardless of your personal distractions.
Just a thought.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MikeBMW said:

As a driver, you are responsible for the control of your vehicle regardless of your personal distractions.
Just a thought.

Right on board with what you are saying, maybe buy a truck with steering wheel controls, or just don't be a dumb butt while driving🤔

It is hard to take someone seriously when they post comments like that. 

Radio station or someone's life, not a hard choice to make.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 9:25 PM, Bert Zeller said:

update! my truck radio has gone crazy a couple of times since last post but always fixes itself quickly. Blew air under the sharkfin antenna for onstar and sirus XM radio and i had water come out from under antenna. I think Ed dyer is on to something with replacing it. 

Hey guys, my 2017 Silverado 1500 LT was doing exactly the same problem that everybody else on here has been talking about where the Radio starts jumping, the main screen freezes up, it’ll make phone calls all on its own without being prompted, Basically acting like it’s totally possessed. Once you get to the dealer you will have to have them do an HMI update and possibly replace with a shark fin. According to OnStar and GM, if the shark fin is not replaced that’s what’s causing the radio to act possessed and the HMI update needs to be completed so that way the computer recognizes the radio and the shark fin to your vehicle Vin number. Most of the dealers for some reason I’ve never heard of this problem. Most dealers will do what they call a hard reset, which is nothing more than disconnecting the negative terminal from the battery waiting 10 minutes and then reconnecting it. That’s why I stress you have to get them to do the recent HMI update. I personally ran into this problem with two different dealers. Once I had the shark fin replaced in the HMI update done I have not had one single problem with my radio, satellite GPS positioning, OnStar, or my phone individual phone calls or Apple CarPlay or Android play either. In fact, the dealer that did the replacements and the HMI update wrote me out a receipt and I took it back to the original dealer and got my money back for The labor and the parts. Good luck to everyone hope this helps my radio has been working like brand new straight from the factory ever since this was completed.

• Like 1

Right on board with what you are saying, maybe buy a truck with steering wheel controls, or just don't be a dumb butt while driving🤔

LOL. LOL!!!!  I've been driving for 60 years and have never had an accident, how many can say that.

So you guys are telling me that you've never looked at your radio to change the channel and taken your eyes off the road?  That's laughable and certainly BS.  Now imagine that you are listening to a favorite football game and the game winning field goal is up in the air and the radio switches to another channel.  Are you seriously telling me that you don't instantly reach to get your station back?

You shouldn't have to spend $60K for a truck and have the radio F up and from what the dealer says, they fix several a week at the tune of $1K,

The issue is that the radio is a "piece of junk" and that's the exact phrase that the dealer's service guy used.  Chevy should issue a recall.

I had a 2007 Toyota Camry that after a few years, the visors would not stay up and when you hit a bump, they would drop down, not blocking one's complete view, but enough to be a distraction.  Guess what? Toyota issued a "safety recall" and it was fixed at the dealer for free.

This morning, the radio started giving me directions through the radio for a location that I went to a few weeks ago, over 200 miles away.  Shutting the radio off did not prevent the directions to continue coming through the speaker.  The radio is possessed.  

Just a thought.

Hmmm, I spoke to a lawyer this morning that I was playing golf with and he would differ with you since Chevy knows that the problem exists and it does "distract the driver."  The flawed logic that you don't have to reach for the radio while driving is just that, flawed.

He suggested that I look for a class-action attorney and start searching the internet to see if I can find any info on it being the cause of an accident.

Hey guys, my 2017 Silverado 1500 LT was doing exactly the same problem that everybody else on here has been talking about where the Radio starts jumping, the main screen freezes up, it’ll make phone calls all on its own without being prompted, Basically acting like it’s totally possessed. Once you get to the dealer you will have to have them do an HMI update and possibly replace with a shark fin. According to OnStar and GM, if the shark fin is not replaced that’s what’s causing the radio to act possessed and the HMI update needs to be completed so that way the computer recognizes the radio and the shark fin to your vehicle Vin number. Most of the dealers for some reason I’ve never heard of this problem. Most dealers will do what they call a hard reset, which is nothing more than disconnecting the negative terminal from the battery waiting 10 minutes and then reconnecting it. That’s why I stress you have to get them to do the recent HMI update. I personally ran into this problem with two different dealers. Once I had the shark fin replaced in the HMI update done I have not had one single problem with my radio, satellite GPS positioning, OnStar, or my phone individual phone calls or Apple CarPlay or Android play either. In fact, the dealer that did the replacements and the HMI update wrote me out a receipt and I took it back to the original dealer and got my money back for The labor and the parts. Good luck to everyone hope this helps my radio has been working like brand new straight from the factory ever since this was completed.

Thanks Ed,

I'm going to print out your comments and take them to the dealer next week.

John

• Thanks 1

Jim, 

Can you send me a pic of a truck with "steering wheel controls?"  Does your truck have such controls? 😬

As I just replied to another on the thread: "I spoke to a lawyer this morning that I was playing golf with and he would differ with you since Chevy knows that the problem exists and it does "distract the driver."  The flawed logic that you don't have to reach for the radio while driving is just that, flawed.

He suggested that I look for a class-action attorney and start searching the internet to see if I can find any info on it being the cause of an accident."