Well...that didn’t take long. Frustrated.

Well...my one month old truck, first new in 11 years,  was rear ended while I sat at an intersection. Bumper is done and parking sensors are messed. I’m concerned that because he hit the trailer hitch, there might be frame issues. Can anyone speak to the severity of how an impacted trailer hitch can affect your frame. I’m just nervous that a one month old truck might have frame damage. I’m so pissed, I can barely type. Thanks for listening. 

• Sad 1

I highly doubt that your frame is damaged. The front end of vehicles is made of plastic and styrofoam, so you basically had a pillow hit you in the butt. The insurance company will sort it all out. The repair shop will check the frame. If the frame is toast, then you will have the opportunity to cash in on your gap insurance. No problem man, don't sweat it. 

By the way. Whats it look like? 

Something like this? If so, you might have a problem. 

post-3-1145570958.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jchoi said:

Well...my one month old truck, first new in 11 years,  was rear ended while I sat at an intersection. Bumper is done and parking sensors are messed. I’m concerned that because he hit the trailer hitch, there might be frame issues. Can anyone speak to the severity of how an impacted trailer hitch can affect your frame. I’m just nervous that a one month old truck might have frame damage. I’m so pissed, I can barely type. Thanks for listening. 

Sorry to hear about the damage. Many members here feel your pain.

You are hopefully OK frame wise. Usually if your frame is damaged you will see where the bed impacted the cab or by visually looking under the truck and noticing damage.

Take your truck to more than one shop to make sure you get a few different bids and eyes on the damage.

$hit happens unfortunately.

Edited by 2009GMC

Thanks folks. I’m glad I didn’t end up like one of those pics. Unfortunately, it was a full sized Dodge Ram that hit me,  so  not much plastic on plastic ...basically metal to metal. 

30 minutes ago, starman8tdc said:

I highly doubt that your frame is damaged. The front end of vehicles is made of plastic and styrofoam, so you basically had a pillow hit you in the butt. The insurance company will sort it all out. The repair shop will check the frame. If the frame is toast, then you will have the opportunity to cash in on your gap insurance. No problem man, don't sweat it. 

By the way. Whats it look like? 

Something like this? If so, you might have a problem. 

post-3-1145570958.jpg

Definitely glad it doesn’t look like this  starman. You’re right in the grand scheme os things, it will be okay. Just aggravated. The guy tried to give me the “don’t call the cops because my brother has a shop “ speech. He was angry when I politely declined and called the sheriff. Then he gave me the finger as he drove away once the sheriff was finished. Nice guy he was. 

Sounds like he didn't know how to Dodge, only to Ram !  They read those 48" plastic chrome letters on their tailgate and it goes to their heads ! The finger he showed indicated his IQ.

Sorry to hear about your truck. Make your insurance company work for all those premiums you've been paying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

X2 on having more than one shop check it out. My PARKED 01 2500HD got rear ended at 30 mph +  as I watched by a Impala (aka the Impaler) pushed the truck 8 feet forward no frame damage and even the hitch survived still using it (I tried like H3LL to get the body shop to sign off on a new one but they wouldn’t). Even if the rear of the frame got tweaked a little you’ll be fine after they straighten it. It would be obvious to you if it was bent enuff to move the rear end enuff to cause tracking problems.

I feel your pain!  My truck was 3 days old when I faced a similar scenario except someone backed into my front bumper.  Get it checked out to put your mind at ease.  If you're getting the bumper replaced at a reputable body shop, they would automatically check for other damage.

On 7/6/2018 at 7:36 PM, Jchoi said:

Definitely glad it doesn’t look like this  starman. You’re right in the grand scheme os things, it will be okay. Just aggravated. The guy tried to give me the “don’t call the cops because my brother has a shop “ speech. He was angry when I politely declined and called the sheriff. Then he gave me the finger as he drove away once the sheriff was finished. Nice guy he was. 

Good move......I'm sure his brothers shop would of done a great job fixing your truck:lol: