OPT7 triple LED tailgate light install

I am thinking about ordering an OPT7 triple tailgate light bar.  I have a 2018 silverado.  I do have a back up camera and it came with the tow package.  Do i need to buy the adapter module in order to install it?  I have seen some people use an adapter from curt?  Thank you for your help!

Edit * Does the module hide all wiring behind the bumper or do i need the curt to do that?  I dont want to plug it in on the outside of my truck.*

Edited by vhreso

I am thinking about ordering an OPT7 triple tailgate light bar.  I have a 2018 silverado.  I do have a back up camera and it came with the tow package.  Do i need to buy the adapter module in order to install it?  I have seen some people use an adapter from curt?  Thank you for your help!

I cannot answer for the back up camera but i recommend the curt adapter so you have both the 7 pin and 4 pin for a trailer. My buddy has a dodge with the putco version and it doesn’t mess up his camera so I think it’s ok but I wouldn’t put money on my assumption [emoji23] I love the lightbar though it does wonders for backing up and I chose the amber lights so it’s more noticeable and it’s just amazing.

I have the same bar, get the adapter! It makes the install cleaner, easier, and it's cheap! Just make sure you order the adapter with the 4 pins and the bar will plug right it! Tap the reverse wire into the center wire in the tow harness. I tapped into the center wire on the adapter to keep my factory wires in tact. Then buy the LEDs for your reverse and cargo lights. I chose some on Amazon that were 5.00 per bulb. My coworker paid like 25.00 per bulb elsewhere. Guess what? You can't tell the difference!cd25ec99376c4a2c34e68422df4581f9.jpg14cbf92e5200e2702dd9b10b3af33ad0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I have the OPT7 led bar in red.  I bought the Curt adapter, but opted for the 5 pin plug instead of the 4 pin.  Then I took an old trailer plug - male end, and cut one connector off.  I connected that to the reverse wire.  Then I plugged it all into the 5 pin plug.  Didn't have to tap in to the reverse wire anywhere. 

I too have the redline. I attached it to the rear bumper lip.

Love it but I’m in number 2 already first one turned brown in the sunlight. Second one is doing the same... but can’t complain about the light output. Looks great at night!

I didn’t get redline because it annoys me that it’s behind by 2 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a309c9c0eaed630201bc2f62b3742c89.jpg

It’s hidden if you install it inside the tailgate ledge but visible if you install it on the plastic lip like mine

I couldn’t mount mine concealed in the tailgate ledge, my liner was sprayed on too think and goes all the way down the flat part. I did notice that with where it’s at now, the black anodized housing is turning brown from the sun. My trucks brown so no biggy but worth noting.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Waterfowler41 said:

It’s hidden if you install it inside the tailgate ledge but visible if you install it on the plastic lip like mine

I meant the actual plug.  I have seen some that plug into the trailer connections next to the license plate.  I dont want that.  I am looking for all wiring to be hidden behind the bumper and still have access to the trailer plugs.  

I meant the actual plug.  I have seen some that plug into the trailer connections next to the license plate.  I dont want that.  I am looking for all wiring to be hidden behind the bumper and still have access to the trailer plugs.  

Oh that’s why all of us use the curt harness, allows everything to tuck up under truck.

Thank you for your replies!  Does the module from OPT7 hide the wiring behind the bumper or would i still have to plug it in on the outside of the bumper?  I dont want to see any plugs or wiring.

You want this.

Hidden Hitch Tekonsha 118384 T-One Connector Assembly https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001A1M1J6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_lPdCBb9BV5NH3

I couldn’t mount mine concealed in the tailgate ledge, my liner was sprayed on too think and goes all the way down the flat part. I did notice that with where it’s at now, the black anodized housing is turning brown from the sun. My trucks brown so no biggy but worth noting.

You try the clips?