Diesel or Gas

Looking into a new GMC.   

Have one spec'd out, Long bed, Crew cab, 2500HD,  with a Vortex V8.     I picked the Gas motor because with it being my daily driver and my commute is maybe 15 min one way, ive been told that may be harder on a Diesel since it would barely warm up on that short distance.  Is this unfounded and something I shouldn't be worried about and go with the Duramax?

I will add that with the way Ive spec'd out my GMC I would have to order a 2019 as no one can find one as ive built it.

Do you actually “need” a diesel? Do you often pull heavy? If not go gas. Diesel’s are awesome but they cost more to own and operate as well as fix.

The gas trucks are great for pulling the boat to the lake or occasional camper pulls. They don’t have the guts the diesels do but they are easer and cheaper to keep up and way cheaper to fix if you have a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

thanks for the reply..

Will be Hauling a hard side slide in camper around  and towing a 3600LB aLuminum boat.  Other than that no actual heavy hauling or towing.

5 minutes ago, Jenks82278 said:

How heavy will the slide in be? 

Thats to be determined as I don't have the camper yet.   

I have a 2006 Tundra set up (airbags, 10 ply tires) to do this with but after years of waiting to get a pop up camper and having a close call while towing the boat I've decided that more is better, which brings me to the 2500HD.

A slide in for a 2500 will require helper bags and possibly 3500 leaf springs depending on slide in weight. I know a few buddies that have slide in campers and most of them bought a 3500 for more weight capacity and less lean during turns. A dually would eliminate most of the lean. They started with 2500s and didn't like the way it carried the camper. If you don't want to eliminate slide in options the 3500 is what you should get.

Edited by Jenks82278

On 8/12/2018 at 7:20 PM, Jenks82278 said:

Your not going to harm a diesel driving short trips. How heavy will the slide in be? 

You won't hurt anything but the darn thing will regen every 300 miles.  At least my 2016 did.  PITA!

• Like 1

On 8/12/2018 at 7:53 PM, rft said:

Looking into a new GMC.   

Have one spec'd out, Long bed, Crew cab, 2500HD,  with a Vortex V8.     I picked the Gas motor because with it being my daily driver and my commute is maybe 15 min one way, ive been told that may be harder on a Diesel since it would barely warm up on that short distance.  Is this unfounded and something I shouldn't be worried about and go with the Duramax?

I will add that with the way Ive spec'd out my GMC I would have to order a 2019 as no one can find one as ive built it.

2 hours ago, rft said:

Thanks for the reply.    

Yup,  im going Diesel.  I found a 2018 Long Box 3500 Duramax Denali for 66K.  Still dealing.   

My LML spent most of it's life making rural trips less than 15 miles as a daily driver.

Yes it had some longer trips mixed in.

Yes it sometimes got to tow. Sometimes heavy, sometimes just aerodynamic load. 

Never drove extra miles just to complete a regen. ( didn't take long to recognize when they were occurring)

Never had a keep driving message.

The dmax will be fine.

• Thanks 1