Brakes ..upgrades for towing?

So as of recently I have been towing on and off on weekends my 20ft Pontoon boat (wt of maybe 3,300lbs with trailer and load nowhere near my max tow ) and noticed when driving everyday my brakes vibrate specially coming off highway. 

Soo i was thinking of upgrade brakes to something better seems OEM suck. any suggestions? Kinda pissed at 25k miles my rotors are having issues already. 

2017 Silverado 1500 LT All star edition -- is what i currently have. 5.3l Crew cab. 

Trailer brakes might also be an option.  You didn't say if the trailer had them or not but 3500 lbs is enough to warrant some if you're towing often.  Im curious to see what happened to the stock rotor.  Sounds like it warped to me.  

3 minutes ago, Logan Lanfear said:

Trailer brakes might also be an option.  You didn't say if the trailer had them or not but 3500 lbs is enough to warrant some if you're towing often.  Im curious to see what happened to the stock rotor.  Sounds like it warped to me.  

Yes the trailer has brakes :) Sorry in My state anything over i think 2.5k lbs requires trailer brakes :)

Just now, 2017Darkness said:

If you are under bumper to bumper still, less than 3 years or 36,000 miles, the dealer will replace them under warranty. Don't mention the towing to them....

They know i tow, i've had issues with them and they tried to give me a damn loaner SUV when i was going on vacation while they fixed something on my truck i had to tow the boat back home  at the end so they know I tow but what would that matter? truck has max tow package should be able to tow 3k lbs when it's limit is 12.5k 

It really has nothing to do with the towing, I was just mentioning that so they didn't have an excuse to come back at you with. The towing is not causing the issue with the rotors, there are just some that came out of the factory with some rotors that warp for whatever reason. They should replace them under warranty.

If your rotors are warping it could be the way you drive the truck.  When you come to a hard stop, don't stand on the brakes after you stop.  If the ground is level and I have to stop quickly, I shift to neutral and let off the brake completely.  If the ground isn't neutral I'll try to leave enough room to slowly creep forward after I stop.  They will warp if they're hot and your pads are pressed against them in one spot.

Edited by m3n00b

Interesting tho, i didn't realize the 3 years 36 covers EVERYTHING - i also purchased 5 years 90k miles extended warranty they said was "bumper to bumper" wonder if that covers everything... if it does best 2.4k i spent. 

2 minutes ago, 2017Darkness said:

It really has nothing to do with the towing, I was just mentioning that so they didn't have an excuse to come back at you with. The towing is not causing the issue with the rotors, there are just some that came out of the factory with some rotors that warp for whatever reason. They should replace them under warranty.

ah, makes sense i just assumed OEM were crap cause i noticed this about 6-7k miles ago and have been just sitting on it a bit as it gets worse, 

Driving wise i don't hard stop unless i'm forced to i don't ride brakes cause i don't want to replace them or get dust on my rims haha. i do let off my brakes when stopped Hillstart helps on slight inclines and on flat your normally pretty good. also if i have to brake for a "longer" time while towing i do a "brake-stop-brake -stop " to allow the rotors a bit of cool down time between braking. 

The OEM pads are decent I tow 7000 lbs never had an issue of  rotor warp and I tow alot 

I on my last truck I upgraded to  EBC  pads yes a bit better but lots of dust and did not last as long as factory pads   The14and ip trucks have bigger   rotors than my 2010   Sounds like you have a rotor issue id go to a different dealer if yours dont change them out

1 hour ago, Arch Angel said:

So as of recently I have been towing on and off on weekends my 20ft Pontoon boat (wt of maybe 3,300lbs with trailer and load nowhere near my max tow ) and noticed when driving everyday my brakes vibrate specially coming off highway. 

Soo i was thinking of upgrade brakes to something better seems OEM suck. any suggestions? Kinda pissed at 25k miles my rotors are having issues already. 

2017 Silverado 1500 LT All star edition -- is what i currently have. 5.3l Crew cab. 

GM does offer a Performance Brake upgrade:  https://www.cheapestgmparts.com/oem-parts/gm-performance-front-brake-upgrade-system-2014-ld-truck-and-2015-suv-84263234/?c=Zz1wZXJmb3JtYW5jZSZzPWJyYWtlLWtpdHMmYT1jaGV2cm9sZXQmbz1zaWx2ZXJhZG8tMTUwMCZ5PTIwMTcmdD1sdHomZT01LTNsLXY4LWdhcw%3D%3D

Definitely take to your dealer for a warranty claim.  OEM brakes are more than adequate for the type of towing you are doing.  Make sure your trailer brakes are taking care of the added load and your vehicle brakes will last a long time.

Thanks for recommendation to talk to dealer- just spoke with them they are going to replace rotors on front (and measure back) . Although they don't do pads when doing rotors oddly enough.