Jl Audio 12w7 center console build

Been a while since I have posted, but I have a new project going that some may find useful. I have always liked big bass but since having a family I couldn’t take out the back seat and run subs like I used to back in the day. I have been running dual 8” subs under the back seat for about a year now but it just wasn’t enough for me although it sounded great for every day listening. I found Nitchbox Designs on Facebook and got them to build a center console to house a 12” w7. Subwoofer should be here by Tuesday next week. I just wanted to post some pics of the top notch work these guys do, excited to get it installed.

9e4f8252e149b3dc3ad12351db865ead.jpg

5e572c1ba32f7e031a934e88de5b6a5b.jpg

9af39bebf13a966c58e5fb84fc55e2c6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

He has the option to add led’s but I chose not to. Would be a nice touch but I drive a lot at night and like to have as little light as possible inside the cab. This ran $450 shipped which was half of what my local shop quoted me. Not positive their console would have been as nice as this one honestly.

7 minutes ago, Nasty said:

What are the box specs

I had him go a little larger on volume and lower on tuning than jl specs. This box is right at 2cf and tuned to 32hz. I have found over the years jl tends to spec their subs on the smaller side. He would have done exact recommended specs to this sub if wanted.

2 minutes ago, CWilliams said:

I had him go a little larger on volume and lower on tuning than jl specs. This box is right at 2cf and tuned to 32hz. I have found over the years jl tends to spec their subs on the smaller side. He would have done exact recommended specs to this sub if wanted.

What about port area? A box makes the sub what it is  personally for what you paid for that jl you could have got better for half the price.  

Reason i ask is people tend to either make the box to small or large    and you have to take into factor the power youll be putting to it affects the box soze. also tbrought my years f/s of the sub matteron size,port areaand tuning

Are you talking about the h.o. Box that jl makes for this sub? Of course jl makes the box specifically for this sub that actually costs about $150 , but do you expect me to put that on my back seat? This box is well within recommended specs for the sub that fits seamlessly into the cabin. I will pay extra for that.

Sorry your sentences ran together and I didn’t quite understand what you were saying. I’m sure I could have gotten something close in output for less money no doubt, but everywhere you go nobody complains about actual output or sq of w6-w7 subs, only the price of them. I was willing to pay for what I will know sound good and the quality of the equipment. What other sub may you suggest that hasn’t changed it’s design well over a decade?

54 minutes ago, CWilliams said:

Sorry your sentences ran together and I didn’t quite understand what you were saying. I’m sure I could have gotten something close in output for less money no doubt, but everywhere you go nobody complains about actual output or sq of w6-w7 subs, only the price of them. I was willing to pay for what I will know sound good and the quality of the equipment. What other sub may you suggest that hasn’t changed it’s design well over a decade?

Depending on power.  But for the box specs i would have personally got with a sundown sa12 or sundown sd3.  The sa12 would have had better output but the sd3 is more sq oriented.  

Maybe its just me but i absolutely hate jl. 

Dont get mad or anything. I just dont know how to word it right but most people dont know "what sounds good" they see the well known name and see a million people running it and it makes a lot of noise and people think thats how its supposed to sound

This 90% of the time is what i used to deal with when i used to compete in audio.  "Jl bro, kicker solo barics bro"   

Im just giving my input and i am (was but im taking a break from it for awhile) a true audiophile

Edited by Nasty
  • Thanks 1

Pdx-m12 for power. I will be honest, I’m not a true audiophile. I like clean, loud bass. I like my tunes to sound good but I am not on the never ending quest for pure audio bliss. It’s a rabbit hole I have been down before that never satisfies. I am not knocking sundown at all. I actually ran 2 sd-3 10” in one of my previous trucks and they were very nice for sure. My brother had a single cab ram with 2 10” w6 and no offense but they walked all over the sd-3 in terms of output. I know you don’t hate jl because of the sound, because they are mainstream and everybody has them? Over the past 2-3 years sundown has become just as mainstream as jl they just haven’t been around as long. I can’t honestly see how you could even put the sd-3 in the same sentence as a w7 comparing output, just isn’t going to happen.

Edited by CWilliams
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, CWilliams said:

Pdx-m12 for power. I will be honest, I’m not a true audiophile. I like clean, loud bass. I like my tunes to sound good but I am not on the never ending quest for pure audio bliss. It’s a rabbit hole I have been down before that never satisfies. I am not knocking sundown at all. I actually ran 2 sd-3 10” in one of my previous trucks and they were very nice for sure. My brother had a single cab ram with 2 10” w6 and no offense but they walked all over the sd-3 in terms of output. I know you don’t hate jl because of the sound, because they are mainstream and everybody has them? Over the past 2-3 years sundown has become just as mainstream as jl they just haven’t been around as long. I can’t honestly see how you could even put the sd-3 in the same sentence as a w7 comparing output, just isn’t going to happen.

I said what i would do is an sd3 or sa12.   Not just the sd3.  And when comparing subs like yours and your buddies truck.  You cant do that.  Dofferant electrical and power qas most likely used and also trucks all have a differant resonant frequency

For sq i love using sd3's.  But if i wanted loud i wouldn't use one. 

As for why i hate jl.  In my opinion they are overpriced fir what they are. And dont sound good to me at all.  

Im going to hate myself but in my audio build im starting in my k2 regular cab. Ill be using a jl tw3 10. Becauseits the only thing that will fit

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Nasty said:

I said what i would do is an sd3 or sa12.   Not just the sd3.  And when comparing subs like yours and your buddies truck.  You cant do that.  Dofferant electrical and power qas most likely used and also trucks all have a differant resonant frequency

For sq i love using sd3's.  But if i wanted loud i wouldn't use one. 

As for why i hate jl.  In my opinion they are overpriced fir what they are. And dont sound good to me at all.  

Im going to hate myself but in my audio build im starting in my k2 regular cab. Ill be using a jl tw3 10. Becauseits the only thing that will fit

I guess that’s why they make more than one flavor of ice cream. What sounds good to one person doesn’t to another. But if I can’t compare 2 sd-3 to 2 w6 installed and tuned by the same audio shop then how can I compare a w7 to your sa-12 with different settings, power, cabins etc. I appreciate your feedback, it is nice to actually debate with someone who knows what they are talking about. Good luck on your build man, what front stage you plan on?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CWilliams said:

I guess that’s why they make more than one flavor of ice cream. What sounds good to one person doesn’t to another. But if I can’t compare 2 sd-3 to 2 w6 installed and tuned by the same audio shop then how can I compare a w7 to your sa-12 with different settings, power, cabins etc. I appreciate your feedback, it is nice to actually debate with someone who knows what they are talking about. Good luck on your build man, what front stage you plan on?

Audio frog gb10 and audio frog gb60 front stage ran active off of a 5ch arc audio amp with a mosconi 4to6 processor