Reviews of 6.2 Maxtow towing 10k

I have a 2015 Duramax 2500 which I purchased in 6/14. Love the truck, not crazy about the ride here in pothole country (Michigan).

I am curious about how people who have the 6.2 Maxtow package does towing 10,000 lbs. I have a 35 ft Donzi Center Console I tow occasionally. Might consider swapping out to a 6.2 MaxTow (not the 5.3). I know the 6.2 has great power/torque...

I am asking specifically Maxtow owners here to chime in about how their tucks handle BIG tow loads... Braking, handling etc.  

Thank you in advance......

Real world experience. I tow a 8000 lb 5th wheel.  Using an Anderson Ultimate Hitch ( 42 lbs).  I have towed all over nw and all thru west coast and spend time in Arizona in the winter and it works great.  Never a problem and will get 10 mpg towing and I love it.  Since 90% of the time it is used as a DD a 3/4 ton was not considered.  I do have disc brakes on rv which makes all the difference but more of an afterthought then necessity but will never have another rv without them.  It tows straight and have been in some severe windstorms but have never  had a “ white knuckle” tow. Only added air bags to level but didn’t really need them.  It works great for my application. 

On 9/11/2018 at 9:23 AM, avalonandl said:

Thank you Bigmac. I appreciate your comments. 

I probably will keep my Duramax. For one I probably would take a bath $ wise. I would want one with the 10 speed trans.

I just wanted to say hello neighbor! I am right next door in Rochester Hills. Small world.

Keeping the Duramax seems like a good idea since you already have it.  Sorry I have no additional inputs, I haven't really towed heavy with my 6.2 MaxTow.

This summer i pulled a 10K+ forest river 2715 toy hauler from Phoenix Arizona to Warren MI via Tennessee and back ~5500 miles. as was already said no problems for the truck. The engine makes plenty O power and the 8 speed kicks down as needed to pull up hills and the engine braking assist going down is very handy. It was quite windy most of the way which made for some interesting sensations at times but the drive didn't phase the truck. A good anti sway hitch setup and airbags to support the load is recommended. I have Michelin road tires, Eibach swaybars and Sumo springs that helped stabilize. Worst part hauling that load were the expansion joints at quite a few overpasses. They tend to dip heavily sometimes.

Edited by Pearl2017

On 9/12/2018 at 10:40 AM, SkiDooNick700 said:

I just wanted to say hello neighbor! I am right next door in Rochester Hills. Small world.

Keeping the Duramax seems like a good idea since you already have it.  Sorry I have no additional inputs, I haven't really towed heavy with my 6.2 MaxTow.

Ski Doo- Thanks. I see you have an Avalanche in your AVATAR.  I used to have a 2500 Avalanche, loved it.

52 minutes ago, avalonandl said:

Ski Doo- Thanks. I see you have an Avalanche in your AVATAR.  I used to have a 2500 Avalanche, loved it.

Ah yes with the 8.1L I think it was?   Must have been pretty beastly!  Mine was just a half ton Z71.  It was a great truck, I loved mine as well.

16 hours ago, SkiDooNick700 said:

Ah yes with the 8.1L I think it was?   Must have been pretty beastly!  Mine was just a half ton Z71.  It was a great truck, I loved mine as well.

Yes it had 8.1 and 4.10 axles.... was a beast. I put a Hypertech tune and a Flowmaster 2in 2 out muffler and it had a DEEP tone. Not to loud but a rumble. 11.5 mpg..... oh well

• Like 1