Ford 2.7 turbo crew cab will run with a GM 6.2?

Was watching an episode of Autoweek and they tested  2.7 turbo crew cab ( not sure what Ford calls it) and it ran 14.2 in the 1/4 mile.  It was a 2wd so some less weight, but less traction too.  So in disbelief I googled any other tests of the 2.7 turbo ford and Car and Driver tested a crew cab 4x2 and it ran 14.4 in the 1/4.  That’s pretty quick for that little motor.  

36 minutes ago, DanMan_S said:

That's a stretch, they got lucky with some good numbers that day.

A 5.3L will easily put the run on a 3.5L ecoboost, the 2.7L doesn't stand a chance compared to the 6.2L.

Nothing gets that lucky, and it wasn’t one day, another source backed up those numbers.  

Yes and I pull my 6800lbs trailer with my 5.3 and my friend pulls his 6300lbs trailer with his 2017 Echo-boost and has to open the hood and let the engine cool down at the campground so the turbos and exhaust manifolds stop glowing red.

So which truck is struggling his or mine?

Boost always cost.

1 hour ago, BigBadSierra said:

Yes and I pull my 6800lbs trailer with my 5.3 and my friend pulls his 6300lbs trailer with his 2017 Echo-boost and has to open the hood and let the engine cool down at the campground so the turbos and exhaust manifolds stop glowing red.

Boost always cost.

I remember when the ecoboost first came out, Ford released a lot of promotional footage of their torture testing.  In one segment, they basically had the truck towing a large trailer, floored, doing laps on a Nascar track.  They did not hide that turbos were glowing red, but they wanted me to believe that it can handle it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigBadSierra said:

Boost always cost.

yeah, but is that because he has to or because he wants to?  I know plenty of 3.5 turbo guys who tow trailers and have never have turbo issues. 

That's a stretch, they got lucky with some good numbers that day.

A 5.3L will easily put the run on a 3.5L ecoboost, the 2.7L doesn't stand a chance compared to the 6.2L.

After driving both and owning a 5.3 there is zero chance a 5.3 will run with the new 3.5s lol. Put it in sport mode with that ten speed and the 5.3 is not gonna keep up.
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

Which Engine is still going to be chugging down the highway in 10 years or 150,000 Miles from now?

5.3 EcoTech  or  Ford 3.5 EcoBoost Turbo ??

neither based on the folks in this forum lol. Unless you have a catch can that is ;) :P 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

I am not sure why some of these engine discussions come down who is faster, who beats who in the 1/4 mile.....

They are trucks..... Not Muscle Cars! :crackup:

Because no matter if it's a truck, car, motorcycle, ski boat or pontoon boat, somebody is always gonna wanna  race, it's just human nature.