Trail Boss Rear Axle vs. Max Towing Rear Axle

c0boy

• 1 month later...
The Trail Boss and AT4 should come with a 3.42. After-all, these are "Off Road" specialty trucks correct?

My '14 Z71 has the 3.42 and I do not have the max tow.

Your 14 has a 6L80. 14’s came 3.08 std, 3.42 optional and 3.73 max tow.

The 8/10 spd are 3.23 std and 3.42 max tow

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if the AT4 can be bought with a 3.42 rear end?  That truck can be had with a 6.2 motor.  But all I see have the 3.23 rear end.  I want something to pull camper that is not so anemic as my 5.3 z71 with 3.42s.   I am sure the 6.2 with 10 speed would be better anyway but a 6.2 with 3.42s would be awesome.  And the AT4/Trailboss look so much better than a standard Z71.

Does anyone know if the AT4 can be bought with a 3.42 rear end?  That truck can be had with a 6.2 motor.  But all I see have the 3.23 rear end.  I want something to pull camper that is not so anemic as my 5.3 z71 with 3.42s.   I am sure the 6.2 with 10 speed would be better anyway but a 6.2 with 3.42s would be awesome.  And the AT4/Trailboss look so much better than a standard Z71.

Nope. All 6.2/A10 are 3.23 except max tow but max tow is only available without Z71/TB/AT4/X31. You pretty much need a 2WD SLT 6.2 to get max tow/3.42 from the factory

Thank you all for the  info.   That seems like  ridiculous decision on GMs part.  I have seen the conversion factors that show the true axle ratios with the 10 speed and while the 3.23 is good, it seems so foolish not to have more offerings for a 3.42 in the 6.2.  If anyone is really seeking out that 6.2 max tow package they are going to be looking for a fully decked out truck with 4wd. 

I will probably hang back a year or two to see if they change their offerings.  The new trucks are beautiful but honestly offer nothing improved enough to compel me to buy one just yet.