Higher load index tires

Hello all, I have searched through numerous posts and haven’t exactly found the answer I’m looking for, or maybe I have and just don’t understand it. So I thought I’d ask.

I have a ‘17 2500HD Duramax High Country with stock 265/60r20’s with a 121 load index (3197 lbs)

I am looking for a tire with a maybe a 126 like the 275/65’s or but i would like to keep everything stock if possible.  Stock rims, no loft or level etc.  It doesn’t have to be 275/65’s they just happen to have the load index I wanted.

Is this an option?

If you go to F which is a 12ply tire you would have the extra tire insurance if you carried a heavy load but in reality E rated tires like you already have are good for your vehicle.  Hence why they came on your vehicle from the factory.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/19/2018 at 8:46 AM, brclark82 said:

Hello all, I have searched through numerous posts and haven’t exactly found the answer I’m looking for, or maybe I have and just don’t understand it. So I thought I’d ask.

I have a ‘17 2500HD Duramax High Country with stock 265/60r20’s with a 121 load index (3197 lbs)

I am looking for a tire with a maybe a 126 like the 275/65’s or but i would like to keep everything stock if possible.  Stock rims, no loft or level etc.  It doesn’t have to be 275/65’s they just happen to have the load index I wanted.

Is this an option?

i have 275/65/20 STT Pros. Love them. Stock truck no lift/level. Stock wheels.

I run 285/60-20 Michelin Defenders.

No mods of any sort to make them fit, speedo is only 1mph different, and they gave me the added load I was looking for.

3190lbs. compared to 3700lbs, just what I needed for hauling my 5th wheel

IMG_20180622_164226217_HDR.jpg

On 10/19/2018 at 7:44 AM, powerhaulic said:

Hooked up

IMG_20180503_105032436_HDR.jpg

Nice looking setup, that is a heavy 5er for a 2500.  Do you have airbags or timbrens or what are you running for rear suspension help because it looks very level for that much weight.

35psi in firestone bags, works great.

In this pic I have 3100 on the pin, moved some stuff, deleted some stuff and now carry 60ish gallons of water.

Currently have 2900 on the pin and my gross is up from 24040# to 24170#, it drives and handles perfect. Just got parked from a 12hr day on the road with it, tired but not stressed at all.

Just a guess from your numbers...

Actualt trailer weight right at 16k

and your probably right around 11k gross weight for the truck (or about 1k over the 10k gvwr)

does that sound right?

I will be upgrading our 5er in the spring to a very similar unit and was curious about the need to upgrade the truck too (which I don’t want to) so i appreciate your feedback 

• 2 weeks later...

I have no issues with the upgraded tires and air bags, but I will be getting a 3500 SRW for my next truck as I think I would prefer the OEM overload springs but keep my 20" wheels

Your guesstimates are quite close, as I stated 2900 on the pin, 24170 gross combined trailer weight around 16200