how to remove snow & slush out of rear bumper?

aseibel

I know, we're still 2 months away from any real snow even in the upper Midwest. I'm temporarily in a rental with a small garage. The only way I can get my truck in the garage is to back it all the way up to the wall. I'm dreading the inevitable melting slush dripping out of the bumper cavity all winter.

When the roads are really bad, I usually walk around and clear out the wheel wells with a brush before parking. But I can't get it all out of the bumper. With this small garage, my wife and kids will be walking through the crud right next to the door into the house, not to mention it will probably be soaking into the wall, which will be 2" away from the bumper. Does anyone have any bright ideas to keep the slush from building up inside the rear bumper? or a good tool to scrape it out of there? the snow brushes I have don't really fit and I don't want to scratch everything up either.

Just wondering if someone has come up with a solution to this minor inconvenience :D

Fender liners and mud flaps are the best solution to me.

Nobody makes a rear mud flap that prevents rear bumper buildup that I know of.

I built some for my old truck but haven't for my 2012. They stopped the mess but weren't pretty.

:)

23 minutes ago, Bushleaguechew said:

Pull in forwards.

If only.... I can't do that, due to the width of the garage, I can only back in so that I can turn the front wheels to fit inside and get out of the truck. The passenger door will be tight to the wall. Its a small garage. I'm desperate to park the truck inside during winter. It is currently living outside.

• Like 1

Just now, Donstar said:

Would keeping your truck in the driveway be an option?  I know it means sweeping the snow off your truck in the morning but dealing with the crud(and my wife) in the garage would be worse in my situation.  

It might come to that. I'd prefer to park inside, but if I can't make enough space to avoid wife and kids dinging doors, then it will stay outside. This garage is barely big enough for 2 sedans.

Gatorback mud flaps are a pricey alternative. I put them on to keep slush from flying onto my running boards from the front wheels. Never really paid attention to the rear but they keep my truck way cleaner in the winter time. They’re significantly longer than the oem plastic ones. These are the only pics I have right now. 38689bb78a7deb0d466746c9173f4acb.jpgb3b791d7418c82bb6ac94f8a90c9da9a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Move South problem solved...

I was toying with the idea on my 3/4 ton of removable rear flaps attached to the frame. Trucker flaps( thick long rubber ones at the farm store) cut to fit, air hose male end welded to flat bar stock bolted/clamped to frame, female end welded to solid round rod to attach flap. The thought here was so I could mount it higher in the well and stick out farther when plowing. Haven’t looked to see if there would be room in the wheel well for it to work on a 1/2 ton?

Since you have the chrome bumper I wonder if you can find a way to wire up a heated cable to it (magnets maybe?) plug it in let the crap melt then put the truck in the garage. I use one on my water well head to keep the pressure switch from freezing.

Don’t know how much room you got at your rental but I see those portable type plastic shed/garage things listed on Craigslist from time to time for cheap some of them are descent made and will handle a snow load, also seen people giving away car ports on there if a guy could figure out how to temporarily attach it to the earth and use plywood for walls. If nothing else it will make the neighbors that much more happier when you done do move out.

BTW THANKS for reminding me how much I love winter...

• Haha 1

I have a 3 car garage that would fit 4 if empty and I still park outside.  With kids and a garage as small as yours I would be way more concerned about damage to the truck and being outside sounds safer.

I have mud flaps on mine and have not seen my first winter yet.  Is it really that bad?

On 9/23/2018 at 7:41 AM, rrmccabe said:

I have mud flaps on mine and have not seen my first winter yet.  Is it really that bad?

That bad? It depends on the temperature of your garage and your tolerance for walking through slop.

If you drive on roads that have been salted after decent snow, the slush cakes in there. There is always a trail of dripping crud out of the rear bumper. Is it any worse than the regular wheelwells of our other two vehicles? not really. But the difference is I can walk around and clear out most of the crud with my foot or a snow brush on the other vehicles. I can't access the slush under the truck bumper.

Step 1: Go to Home Depot/Lowes and buy a few cans of expandable spray foam

Step 2: Remove bumper

Step 3: Build junction boxes for access to license plate lights and/if you have sensors

Step 4: Fill bumper with expandable spray foam

Step 5: Install access covers for lighting/sensors

Step 6: Re-install bumper

Step 7: Drink a beer and admire your work and to celebrate no more snow in your rear bumper

1 hour ago, rrmccabe said:

And this is the truck with the blade ?

yup.

I only plow for myself. This winter it is staying in Grandpa's shed. 

Next year when we have the new house, I'll have a big enough garage, that I won't care about dripping crud after I plow.