Where are the 2.7L engines

19 hours ago, Donstar said:

Excellent!  Instead of referring to GM engineers as "idiots" or comparing the GM 2.7 to the Ford 2.7, I prefer to look for rationale.  I have lived in surroundings where bragging about having the largest engine was popular.  My boasts about my V6 garner far more attention in my current environment.  If the L4 has the towing capabilities to pull my travel trailer, it would be my first choice of engines.  Driving a large truck as a DD may seem a hypocritical to wanting to minimize my "footprint"  but at least I feel like I'm making some effort!.

One is a V6 and the other is a 4 banger. One makes more power and torque and one has better Milage. With all due respect wtf are you talking about ? Ok maybe idiots was too much but we have a fail in the 2.7 gm engine. Period. Sole purpose of this engine was mpg and it fails miserably 

42 minutes ago, f8l vnm said:

One is a V6 and the other is a 4 banger. One makes more power and torque and one has better Milage. With all due respect wtf are you talking about ? Ok maybe idiots was too much but we have a fail in the 2.7 gm engine. Period. Sole purpose of this engine was mpg and it fails miserably 

I was referring to Loco-diablo's comment offering a suggestion as the rational behind offering/developing this engine.  This could be a lucrative or unsuccessful move by GM but I'm sure they are well aware of the risks.  I have a thought that in my region the introduction of a 4cyl may even add value to the V6's on the market - like mine! (Maybe GM has thought of this too!)   Maybe floating a 4cyl full-sized truck will pave the way for a selection of GM V6 options.   I also am curious as to why they chose a 2.7L displacement.  I'm sure they also knew that comparisons with Ford would occur.  I think GM's decision to size their ecotec V6 as 4.3 worked against the success of this particular venture.  I still hear people compare their old Astro van 4.3 to the new engine.   Maybe the association with Ford's engine will work in favour of the 4cyl.   I don't know the answers so I am in no position to criticize the company.

• Like 1

Well if anyone here has driven a 3.5 ecoboost that would be your first choice. They tow and haul ass big time! 

I would be more interested in a 6.0 v8 that could stay in v4 mode at idle, and could accelerate in v4 mode longer. I drive around here and watch it switch back and forth. The speed limit between my house and my kid’s school or the grocery store goes from 40 to 35 to 25. 3.0 liters can handle that no problem. 

How about a real plug in hybrid pickup? A scaled up version of the volt? I drove a fusion hybrid for work one time in the mountains of Colorado. I never wanted for power and got 56 mpg. Two fusion hybrid engines in an F-150 would work? 

4 hours ago, Bikemobile said:

Well if anyone here has driven a 3.5 ecoboost that would be your first choice. They tow and haul ass big time! 

Wrong.  there are plenty who have driven the Ego boost and have returned back to Chevy for various reasons and failures of the Egoboost. 

39 minutes ago, Colossus said:

Wrong.  there are plenty who have driven the Ego boost and have returned back to Chevy for various reasons and failures of the Egoboost. 

Cool, have you driven one? They’re quick. I’m not a ford guy though.. obviously. 

They are quick, no doubt about that.  But fast isn't what's important when it comes to a truck.  Anyone can make their vehicle fast with the right amount of $$$.  Where ford lacks is reliability and longevity.  They may sell the most but 10 years later they don't still have the most of that now 10 year old model on the roads.  I wonder why.