Another Bilstein thread

I have searched, researched, and scoured the interwebs for a simple answer, but nothing is simple. I have a 2014 Z71 and want to replace the stock Ranchos with Bilstein 5100s. Truck is stock right now, and I'm fine with that. I have never had a burning desire to put a leveling kit on it, but I have seen that the 5100s are "adjustable height."  With that in mind, I wouldn't mind raising the front end an inch or so for more clearance if it can be done simply by adjusting these shocks when I install them.  I've seen so many posts about spacers and leveling kits, and springs, and blah blah blah.  My question is this: Can I simply install the Bilsteins, adjust the ring, and effectively raise the front of the truck with no other parts, accessories, or modifications? Is it as simple as taking out the Rancho and putting on the Bilstein at the desired height? Or do I have to spend additional money on more stuff (besides the alignment)? If that's the case, can I just install them at stock height with no mods? Lastly, I've seen how to's that make this job seem easy as pie, and others that make it seem impossible; I can turn a wrench, but I don't want to mess with spring compressors. Is this a job I can do with minimal to moderate cussing? Or is it a heavy cussing task for a hack?

Edited by CoachGardnerFHS

1 hour ago, parthery said:

Yes....

I did exactly that on my truck.  5100s on the second notch....about 1.25" lift in the front or so.  

Definitely need to perform an alignment after the install.

Dumb question, but have you had any issues in parking garages with the 1.25" lift? I'm always freaked out hearing the antenna hit that metal bar in the parking garages and was just curious at what height these trucks would no longer be able to enter the standard height parking garage. Bilstein 5100's are also next on my list with my 275/55/20's.

I did the same thing your looking at doing. 

I have compressed springs before on cars, but never on a truck.

These springs are large. You can’t rent a spring compressor from a parts store that will do it safely. 

Find a shop that will finish the job for you when you bring the removed struts to them. 

If you can’t find anyone to compress the springs. Find a shop to do it all. 

Edited by Baldhills

• 3 weeks later...

Shocks are on the way. Got them on all 4 corners. Two more questions:

1) The rear shocks are labeled "0-1 in" lift, but aren't adjustable to my understanding. Will these lift the rear from the stock Ranchos?

2) Does anyone know the height measurements for each setting? I know bottom is stock and top is 1.85 in. What are the 2nd and 3rd ring settings? Trying to decide which one to choose. I don't need to level it, just want best ride quality with a little more clearance. However, if the rears raise it an inch, that may sway my decision so it doesn't look even more raked than now.

Thanks!

On 11/5/2018 at 9:54 AM, CoachGardnerFHS said:

Shocks are on the way. Got them on all 4 corners. Two more questions:

1) The rear shocks are labeled "0-1 in" lift, but aren't adjustable to my understanding. Will these lift the rear from the stock Ranchos?

2) Does anyone know the height measurements for each setting? I know bottom is stock and top is 1.85 in. What are the 2nd and 3rd ring settings? Trying to decide which one to choose. I don't need to level it, just want best ride quality with a little more clearance. However, if the rears raise it an inch, that may sway my decision so it doesn't look even more raked than now.

Thanks!

The rear shocks are longer, but they do not change ride height at all. You'd have to change the rear blocks or springs to do that. 

bil24-238304_0.jpg

Most here get 2” or 2.25” on top notch. I put mine on the second from top or 3rd from bottom and for 1.75 - 1.8” lift. I left the stock block in the rear and put 5100’s in. I still have 1.5” - 2” rake from front to rear which I like. You need an alignment after installing as your toe will be out of spec and will cause excessive tire wear even though my truck seemed to drive fine.