Sierra/Silverado 12.1” Android Vertical Screen Mod

If its anything like Seicane, or Nextrons or any other of those Chinese crap radios, it’s a POS. I’ve had several in my other cars and they all fail after s few weeks and their customer service doesn’t speak a lick of engrish. Make for great paper weights though!

What does this unit do that our stock 8” doesn’t?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd steer WAY clear if it were me. There are quite a few companies reselling these and specs are god awful. 2GB of ram to run a 12" tablet. Most modern android phones are running 4-6GB of ram and when you consider this has to interface with a full boot of some custom written GM integration I have low expectations of performance.

You can run android auto/apple carplay with the 8" unit, if your unit doesn't have it you can get it from one of the GM unlock resellers (I forget the company thats part of the forum)

What do you need to tether? You can tether from your phone to any tablet/laptop you've got, or get data on the stock unit if you prefer.

What additional inputs do you get with this? You get USB and 3.5mm in addition to bluetooth with your stock unit. You can prob get a USB to whatever converter that may work for others.

Internal storage, for what? USB drive gives you the same for a fraction of the price.

I think the look is neat but the UI looks like trash. To be fair I'm a UX/UI guy by trade so there is that. They don't even have the vol/temp on the right sides though. Vol should be closer to the user than ac controls.

If you give it a shot wait a few months, especially if it gets cold where you live. Changes are it dies quick. Saw another one of these and said average boot time was 3-8 seconds. That was surprising to say the least.

• Like 1

I agree w/ Penguin.  Plus, look at the website, and the numerous grammatical errors.  Classic Chinese translation errors.  I think something like that would be great, but I'd steer clear of this one...

Edited by OldBlue61

Valid points for sure.  Although, to add apple carplay/android auto to the factory unit, they want like $900, which is outrageous.  Can't say I disagree with the temperature/volume controls.  However, I always use my steering wheel controls, which are compatible with this.

I was thinking about this same unit. I like the look of it, but I'm also not sure about the long term quality. They said that they give a 1year warranty and I've noticed that there's similar units being sold on Amazon as well. Let me know if you got one. I'm going to give it a few months and watch for reviews. Another thing I noticed is that they do accept PayPal, so PayPal will protect you for 6 months and they will get involved if you happened to have any issues in the future once you have made your purchase. 

Edited by Whamtrini

I was thinking about this same unit. I like the look of it, but I'm also not sure about the long term quality. They said that they give a 1year warranty and I've noticed that there's similar units being sold on Amazon as well. Let me know if you got one. I'm going to give it a few months and watch for reviews. Another thing I noticed is that they do accept PayPal, so PayPal will protect you for 6 months and they will get involved if you happened to have any issues in the future once you have made your purchase. 

Against my better judgement, I’ve owned 3 Chinese units, 2 failed within a year. one of them was so bad i sent it back and had to fight tooth and nail to get my money back. Seicane, nextrons and one other amazon one..They can’t handle extreme heat or cold, the Bluetooth is staticky on high frequencies. I suggest staying away from them.

10 hours ago, Move Over said:

Against my better judgement, I’ve owned 3 Chinese units, 2 failed within a year. one of them was so bad i sent it back and had to fight tooth and nail to get my money back. Seicane, nextrons and one other amazon one..They can’t handle extreme heat or cold, the Bluetooth is staticky on high frequencies. I suggest staying away from them.

That is the biggest thing people don't think about. Consumer electronics don't have to deal with the potential fluctuations that happen out of doors. I like the idea of an ipad mount if thats something you really need. I could see it being helpful for things like topo maps when off road but beyond that I can't think of much an android/ios device could do that you need in a vehicle. Maybe I'm lacking in creativity here, I just don't see the need to run angry birds or facebook while I'm driving.

It’s “Angry Bird” in the ad. Only one bird [emoji38]

Think of what happens when you leave your iPad in the sun for too long it auto protects after 10 mins in direct sunlight. That’s what happens to these units while you’re in your office for 8 hours a day. Just don’t seem to work in the long term. Great concept and i loves having an android tab in my dash, but at the end of the day they are useless when they get used in an automotive application.