2014. Keep it or sell...

I just dumped my 14 GMC last week for a new 18. It was paid off and I planned on keeping it for a long time. Like yours, it had some clunks, and an occasional whine when shifting 1-2. I bought it new and only have 60k miles on it when I traded it. I'm guessing mine would have lived many more thousand miles but it wasn't a chance I wanted to take. I already spent thousands replacing injectors, a TCCM, and other out of warranty items. Under warranty the hitch, radiator, and battery were replaced. The seats were tearing, the a/c quit, and I needed new tires. The dealer offered 2/3 of what I paid for it originally. The only question was how could I not trade it in. 

The old one was 6 speed double cab 5.3 and the new one is a 8 speed 6.2 crew. After driving the new one, I came to the conclusion that some of the clunks are just characteristics of a GM truck. But the new one is buttery smooth, and my mpg is improved 20%. 

Edited by 6_2LTZ

This isn't an easy decision. Really depends on what is offered for your truck in private party or trade in and the price for a new truck. You have to decide if the difference in price for the transmission replacement vs the difference in price between sales price and purchase price is worth it. 

If the difference is $3500 vs $10k you have to decide if $6500 extra is worth the new warranty in addition to all the other wear items on the truck being new (paint, suspension, etc.). If the difference is $3500 vs $20k, might be a different answer.

If you fix your truck, all the other little things that make it not new will be there. If you buy a new truck you get a new transmission bit also new everything else. What is that worth?

I would say get both quotes. Get a firm price on the transmission and a trade in. Then compare and decide. Anything else is more hypothetical without complete information. 

The truck is paid off now and I'm not really interested in getting back into car payment.  The BlackBear tune turned off AFM at 100k, though it does still use oil (normally 3/4 down the dip stick after 5k miles).

I did email BlackBear again to see if they can soften the downshifts somehow (to be fair, when I contacted them prior it was regarding a clunk noise when light on the throttle).
I say pay for a new/rebuilt trans with the warranty and remove any tune Black Bear did to your trans. If you have an issue with a clunk, bring it back to the dealer and have it warrantied. If they say it’s normal under those driving conditions and low throttle input, it may very well be normal. Normal may be undesirable in terms of ride comfort, but desirable in terms of trans longevity. The opposite may be true for whatever fix an aftermarket trans tune provides.
  • Like 1